Smoking Meat

Big knives should only be hand washed. Just like cast iron.

Naa, they all go in the dishwasher. Even the couple hundred dollar one.

Ok, testing the quote procedure on my phone.

Now to poll is this photo on topic or off topic? Meat and knives.

Well both look amazing so I vote on topic, even more so if it was smoked!

David I think you have made THE most popular thread to date! I think I should pivot to some BBQ related stuff to grow my biz!

Are you going to build a better, cheaper UDS? Low cost, makes great food, and High capacity ?

As the OP, I say you’re right on topic.

Hrmmm… The wife just forwarded me the Green Mountain Grills black Friday ad from the local dealer… Anyone have any feedback on their pellet smokers?

I have a coworker looking at getting one. I like the view window on the for the pellets.

I have a sign by my dishwasher that says, “No knives, no wood.”

I just saw a suggestion for fried chicken to sous vide the chicken before batter. Genious.

I had thought about that. Then you can focus 100% on getting the skin/batter just right, and not worry about if the chicken is cooked. Would probably also work with tempura/panko style frys…

I’ve been pondering how well it would work to put a whole pork tenderloin with marinade in a vacuum bag for a little while, then sous vide it, and sear it for texture/plate appeal.

Is there any intersection of sous vide and smoking, or are they mostly mutually exclusive (being relatively slow-cooking methods)?

I don’t see how smoking an sous vide would go together. The smoke flavor really only enters the meat the first 2-3 hours of being in the smoke. After that, you’re just cooking it. Once the meat is warmed up, it really doesn’t take on much more flavor.

Both devices really accomplish the same thing in regards to cooking the meat. They both provide a low and slow method of heat delivery to allow the meat a lot of time to break the fats down and baste back into the meat.

Some recipes call for smoking for a few hours, then wrapping in foil and continuing for a while longer. Foil wrap prevents drying out as much, and they say helps reach temperature faster, maybe from less evaporation. I doubt the smoke flavor would improve much while wrapped.

You might be the first one in the world to ever try it, but sous vide might work for the foil-wrap portion.

I was reading about sous vide, and it was mentioned that you can sear the meat first, and then cook it. I think it was in the context of food safety. Because many of the contaminants are on the outside of the meat.

I ordered a controller, similar to the one Jamie posted, but already wired for 110V sockets. We have two crock pots, and the analog one is smaller. I think it will work well for a first test.

You are in for a treat. I suggest cooking everything to the longer recommended times for the recipes. It has steaks at 40 minutes or so, I do not think I have ever done one under 2 hours.

There are charts for food safety, time/temp for pasteurization.

I just tried a pre-seared for the first time. I truly think it had a slightly better taste, but didn’t look as perfect as a post sear…and searing it twice seems excessive.

Do you use a pan or a torch to sear?

I have a searing grill on my cheapie BBQ, so I don’t smoke up the house. Anything super super hot that will not cook the meat. You can easily skip it if you plan on dropping some mushrooms or something on top when serving.

Shaneh’s birthday today. I’m cooking fillet mignon, with leftover stuffing and veggies.


Ended up using the mashed potatoes instead…

Oh man, I need to stop for an early dinner break now.