Smoking Meat

I thought the studies showed red meat was half the risk. Then the nitrites (curing) were another half.

I have paid less attention lately. As a R&D chemist in an former life, I am sure I delt with way scarier things than red meat. I also try for grass fed meat.

Everything moderation. Everything will kill you.

3 Likes

I looked at the other options and decided on the pellet smoker. I had a UDS a long time ago and didn’t like the cleanup and having to remove all the grates to get it started. The komodos and other ceramic cookers looked to be similar in usage. I also have visions of hacking the pit boss with my own controller.

1 Like

Heater meater is the mpcnc of the controller world.

2 Likes

I’m wanting to integrate it with my fireboard.

1 Like

For tuna, you should try it on the BBQ.
Get some nice big red tuna cubes, a wooden stick.
Get that thing on the BBQ for a few minutes, the goal is for the outside to be cooked, but the inside to remain slightly red. Kinda like a beef steak actually.
Salt, pepper, a few herbs. Enjoy.

I’ts simple but really delicious.

5 Likes

I love my Big Green Egg, but I can’t load it up with a couple briskets or 8 slabs of ribs. What I have been doing lately is sous vide for some pork shoulders for 12 hours, then do two hours with the Green Egg and it is absolutely amazing the texture.

It’s like having a 3D printer, a laser and a CNC. They are all tools with very specific use cases for efficient projects.

2 Likes

YES, never had better tri-tip in my life. 134.5 degrees for 8hours or so, quick hit on the searing grill. It cooks in that bag so it is not enticing me all day. I am about to try a prime rib in a few days. tech+meat=magic. This actually brought me back to loving steak on the bone, chicken, and pork.

2 Likes

I told my wife that I wanted a sous vide.

1 Like

Tell her I want you to have one as well. I have had some people pretty stunned by the results. So easy, and clean. I have an anova and my friend is an executive chef, he borrowed it for a large event at his restaurant to supplement his super expensive one and he said there were zero issues with it and he would not be spending money on the super fancy ones after that.

2 Likes

+1 to Austin as a destination (heck, you may give me a ring if you need a partner in crime). Franklin is the most framous one, however the line is unreal. Black’s and Salt Lick are good too. Lockhart has an entire street of BBQ joints. Heaven!

3 Likes

I had one in my hand last Sunday while Thanksgiving shopping. It was a good price. I put it down. Then there was a nice 4" thick chuck roast that was just a great cut of meat, not too expensive and cheaper than the tri-tip. I put that down too. I had two turkeys already in the cart.

I will come back to some type of beef this weekend as a post-poultry rebound.

1 Like

Kroger had Ribeye Roasts on sale for $5.97/lb. I picked up a small one for my family. I plan on slow smoking it.

1 Like

We have two of the wal-mart “as seen on tv” sous vide devices. None of the fancy bluetooth stuff, but they’re cheap($50-ish), and work! Good tester devices, if you don’t like them, you’re not out too much.

I find Bluetooth mostly useless on SV, unless the interface is aweful. The Wifi is nice because I can load up my ice water bath with meat and start my cook several hours later while out.

1 Like

When using SV on beef, how does the meat turn out? Is it still pink, or can you cook it to a non-bloody medium-well?

I ask because I’d like to try SV cooking, but the wife gags on anything less than hot and vaguely pinkish :face_vomiting:. I used to be the same way, until I was in my late teens and my father refused to let me order my filet well done. Made me get it rare. :drooling_face: But unless I’m spending way too much on meat (time or money), I prefer medium/medium-rare. I just worry that I’ll always end up with a rare hunk of meat (which I’m good with, but the rest of the fam has issues with).

Any way you want. That is the crazy part. You can even see how different cuts like different temps. I mean I know I like 134.5 for TriTip. Chicken took me a while I don’t have my notes with me but I figured out the right temp for that as well to the degree. I found out I like Chicken more well done, Med (still safe) has an odd texture to me. The harder part is seasoning. It takes a lot less as it doesn’t fall or get burnt off. You can also cook from frozen. So I can go to costco get a huge pack of steaks, prep them all at the same time and freeze one or two for another day. If you are super health conscious (for a meat eater) the individually wrapped and frozen chicken breasts they have is a one step process!

Still watching those smoker Black Friday Deals.

3 Likes

Meat when properly cooked should always be cooked to certain temperatures.

You can find charts online for what temperature corresponds to what level of doneness. An instant read thermometer is a valuable tool to help figure out how you like things cooked.

1 Like

Perfect! That’s what I wanted to know. So if I cook to a med-well temp, it will have a hot, slightly-pink center, or med-rare will have a warm, pink center. Wrapping my head around getting the coloring/texture right from a vacuum-sealed bag in precisely temperature controlled water rather than slapping slabs of meat on a vaguely controlled open flame in uncertain weather conditions… And I agree 100% on the poultry. I know that med is safe, but rubbery chicken is just… wrong.

Sous Vide and vacuum sealer going on my wish list!

1 Like

You need to watch some videos. You’ll still want to use a skillet or grill to finish the meat. The sou vid will cook all the meat to the same temp. Not just the middle. Most people use sou vide to cook it a few degrees under and then slap it on a grill to finish and get the grey outer part.

2 Likes