Smoking Meat

Salmon is only edible as sushi. Smoked, or otherwise cooked, is just a ruined, beautiful fish. Same for tuna. Otherwise, thin fillet, light corn meal breading and a good, clean fry. I’m from the South; if you don’t like it, try deep-frying it. Other than gumbo, it’s the only way to eat okra…

4 Likes

I think I need to move to the south!

1 Like

Visit. During the Spring or maybe Fall. Not Summer. It’s not worth it to live there full-time.

My suggestion: Find a festival/celebration and go for that. Mardi Gras or Jazz Fest for New Orleans. Andouille Fest or Strawberry Fest are both good (Pontchatoula, La. if they’re still around). Birmingham has a decent Shakespeare thing every year, I hear. I suppose you could really go to Nashville or Memphis anytime, depending on your interest in country/blues and BBQ. Austin is always good, especially if you like TexMex or more authentic Mexican fare. SXSW draws a lot of variety, but you have to put up with, well… SXSW.

1 Like

Ohhhh, Tennessee! Good BBQ and a trip to visit Ultimachine, I think that is called a tax write off!

1 Like

… or you know, the BEST bbq in the world!

Yes, I am prepared to fight about it :wink:

I thought BBQ was pork, not beef…

whistles aimlessly while thinking of the little places around his folks NC house

1 Like

SHOTS FIRED!!!

This is officially the only fighting allowed in the forums. The rules are as follows…Don’t talk about v1 fight club, I am the judge, Please overnight me samples, Best package wins!

1 Like

Just don’t be ripped off with getting white bread and mac and cheese on the side. Get some home-made cornbread, slow-cooked beans, and some crisp, hand-sliced cole-slaw… Maybe some potato salad (mustard-based, of course).

And plenty of napkins and wet-wipes. If you don’t need to be hosed off afterwards, it wasn’t that good (same can be said of a roast beef po-boy or a really good muffaletta).

1 Like

Raw fish is called bait… :lol:

Mmmm, deep fried snot!

Almost half my life was in south GA, the other half was Alaska. You’d think I’d be into eating weird things, but I’m picky. I have tried everything I don’t like though. I overate shrimp when I was in second grade in Mississippi at an all you can eat buffet, so that killed seafood for me. The one time I had okra it was slimy, so yea… Also if you’re ever around indigenous Alaskans and they ask you if you want to try muktuk, just pass. Trust me on that one.

3 Likes

Kansas City deserves a reputation for a plethora of excellent BBQ establishments. They are all good but have different styles. Nothing beats Arthur Bryant’s for the atmosphere and experience. And it is good stuff. I’m a KC sweet style bbq saucer. Not big on vinegar based, but theirs is good.

I was saving up for a new Sawstop tablesaw for Christmas. But then I wanted to try an SLA printer. Now I am leaning toward a Traeger. My current smoker’s bottom pan rusted out and I have never managed to fabricoble a new plate for the gas burner. Feel that’s cheating anyway.

1 Like

I looked up the treagers the other day, and I know Costco gets them once and a while but the pit boss David has looks pretty good and is less than half the price.

1 Like

Like the MPCNC, just jump in. With relatively low investment nothing can really go wrong, and you will learn what you need to know to go further. And you might even be satisfied with the entry level because it’s quite capable.

2 Likes

How did I miss this thread. I am blaming the server migration…

I am more of a kamado guy than a pellet person. I like how you can cook with out any moving parts or electricity. Kamados are a fuel rich oxygen starved environment. You set the temp by opening or closing the vents. You can also but electric temp control devices.

I prefer SV and sear for lean meats, but nothing beats bark on properly cooked low and slows.

1 Like

I would have agreed with you before. I used to make fun of the propane users. Now…I BBQ way more with the gas grill. I also trust myself to get better meat since I am much less likely to mess it up. I think a good bit of use and drippings and you still get enough of that “grilled” flavor. I am keeping an eye on the Lowe’s Black Friday ads just in case.

That and I like a little tech in most aspects of my life!

1 Like

I moderate kamado forums and Facebook groups for fun. I am also a big kamado joe fan. Atlanta grill company has their Black Friday sale now. If you can find a kamado joe -Costco road show. They are pretty darn good deals too. Their is a learning curve, but it’s far less than Cnc.

1 Like

I missed this topic in the old forums too. I work from home. I eat a lot of red meat. Sounds like I should get a smoker.

1 Like

Well of course. We eat more chicken… trying to be healthy

Take a look at masterbuilts new gravity fed charcoal smoker It looks interesting. Full disclosure, I have a few friends that work there, I may be biased.

1 Like

Yeah. The cancer risk is no joke. Plus, the environment. It’s hard. It tastes so delicious.

I am less concerned about the cancer risk from a burger than from cured preserved meats. I suspect curing/Pickeling salts are what’s really bad for you. Things that are designed to inhibit bacterial growth aka biology, will also do something to the biology happening in your body.