SLM printed Z-axis core

Hi there,

so… I have the opportunity to get a Primo Z-axis core printed in steel for the fun of it, by a startup that builds SLM machines.
And I want it :slight_smile:

First off, did someone else already try that and can share some insights?

Now, there are a few caveats. First: They would like to put a second part in their display stand, and I’d like to ask in advance, if this would be Ok.
And I’d have to make a few modifications to the parts (no bridging if possible, so e.g. the orientation of screw nut holes would have to be changed), because some FDM optimizations on the part are detrimental for SLM.
Is there a way to do this based on actual CAD data, or is the only way to modify the mesh?
Except for the display stand, this would of course be for private use, exclusively.

Best
snoop

2 Likes

@Ryan, FYI.

Sounds really cool.

LUCKY!!

Absolutely!

As in points up not flats up? Are there any nut traps on the core? The screw/boltholes themselves can not be change as far as I can tell they are all pretty precisely aligned and oriented. SLM should be on a bed of powdered material and all the machines I have seen are pretty limitless on features. Some have support structures and most don’t since it floats in the powder.

1 Like

Yes, very Lucky :smiley:
Great, that they can display it, thanks!

Yes, the guys highlighted areas like these:

It’s not that they cannot print it as it is, but they are not expecting good results without some modifications.

That seems a bit odd but I don’t know much about the individual machine types. Those are easy enough to change you should be able to work directly with the stl to cut that out.

Well, don’t have too much experience with SLM technology, but seems weird to me, aswell.
Might take a while, but I’ll get back with news.

Very cool! Im going to print this on an SLA out of a ceramic filled resin after reading this.

Is the core available as a CAD file by any chance? This material doesnt tap great so we print the threads in and then chase them.

The CAD is not available and nothing is threaded so no worries there.

The parts were not designed for anything other than FDM printers so I am not promising things will not be a bit too loose or tight.

SLA traditionally does not spec well for this. You will have a very nice looking part but it could very well be too brittle.

It will 100% be too brittle.

1 Like

Thanks for the response Ryan and Barry!

I was referring to the leadscrew nut area it looks like there are some M3 screws that thread into it.

Ill print one on FDM as well so im not banking on it.

Excited to see the SLM core!

Unfortunately we never got a report on how well this one worked:

1 Like

There was a more recent one as well. I know I have seen an SLS Primo Core.

They do, but those are almost more pegs than screws. You could replace those with a pair of pegs and they would serve the same purpose. So long as the leadscrew nut ismprevented from rotating, it’s fine. When.printed those holes are just tight enough to grab at the M3 threads, but they don’t actually need to. The weight of the router, Z motor and tubes rest on that nut, so it will never try to pull out of there.

Good to know! Thank you sir!

Wait, wont the weight be very contradictive to the span? It seems sag would take ahold very fast.

You can print them hollow, probably very similar weight in the end.

Yep. And I have steel rails :blush:
My Z-Axis height is too high and I want to see how big differences in stiffness are with a steel core before I shorten things :sweat_smile:

I see, taking the absolutely obvious route… :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Yeah :sweat_smile:
That’s me :rofl: