Should x y steppers be individually driven?

Hi all, I’ve recently finished a working primo mpcnc using ramps 1.4 arduino mega and I’ve pretty much settled on marlin. I’ve had no issues that I’ve not been able to iron out however upon basic completion i decided to try using the end stops and during my research its clear I misunderstood that I should have wired each x and y stepper to a different driver (4 drivers 2 per axis ). At the moment Ive wired them up to drive both axis via one driver each . I’ve not had any problems but if some improvements and more options can be obtained using another two drivers then I’ll wire them up . Any thoughts ? Thanks.

if you want to use endstops for squaring then you will need them to be on individual drivers.

I had mine wired in series for quite a while, it’s never been a problem. I squared the build using manual endstops.

Thanks Jonathan it was my intention for homing only in the mean time. However simplicity in the upgrade process has shown me I might as well go the whole way.

1 Like

Thanks Philip, yes I had similar and I didnt see the problem if Im quite accurate about measuring and setting up.

I suppose the initial reason I didnt wire up all steppers individually is my trust in Marlin or grbl to recognise the two additional steppers. Also if I remeber clearly I couldnt find anywhere that said the x-driver/steppers go here… and the two y-driver/steppers go here… with regards to which of the two extra stepper connectors to use for which axis.

I was pretty sure that was properly documented with the V1 maintained firmware. For the Primo, X1, Y1, and Z go as designated, E0 becomes X2 and E1 becomes Y2.

Thanks Dan Ill have a closer look now I know what to look for. It becomes a blur when youve looked over it a million times for one particular option to change.

Hi all, it took some messing about, but as Dan stated above it takes reading over the notes within the firmware and setting the correct options to enable 2 stepper per x/y axis. Im using Ramps 1.4 marlin V1CNC and endstops.