Selekta_andy's LR3 Build

First off, i’m super excited to start this build. I’d been lurking and following the LR2 design for a while, and decided to finally pull the trigger when i saw how slick the LR3 was… I just needed to have it in my life… lol…

I’ve been collecting bits and pieces while i’ve been waiting for my kit to get delivered, which showed up yesterday. Shout to Ryan for the sweet sticker.

Getting everything prepped up to send the first print job!


I got my first spool loaded, tunes spun up, and my shop manager watching the prints. Here. We. Go.

The soundtrack for this post is a UK ragga jungle banger from 1994 by M Beat & General Levy called ‘Incredible’. I think it’s fitting for the start of the build of this incredible machine.


The first layer of the first part on your first build…Frame that picture!


I got a little lift on the one side of the core piece. Should i kill it and start over? Or is that not going to matter?

If it lifts any more cancel it. Where it is at should be okay.


It lifted a little more last night, so i killed it. Noticed the bed was a little wonky… This is a Ender3 i got stupid cheap that was an Amazon return, and i apparently didn’t pay close enough attention to square when i slapped it together a few weeks ago. It was close enough for my small test prints, but apparently not for larger stuff. At that point i was about 4 beers in, and didn’t feel like ripping it apart.

Got up this morning and tore the whole thing down. Re-squared everything and it looks much better now… Just kicked off the core, so… Here. We. Go… Again! lol…


Okay… I’m pretty sure i have all my parts printed. I’ve included print times below in case that helps anyone plan. My SKR, screen, stepper drivers, and Makita router showed up while i was printing, so i think the only thing i’m missing (besides a table) is the EMT, and a vacuum hose for the dust collection.

I think i’m going to go with the knock down style table @Mcunn made in this thread:

Has anyone adapted the cradle for a full size LR3 build yet? I think i’m going to try to tackle that next week or the week after, depending on how assembly goes.

Part # pieces Time/piece Total Color
LR Core 1 01:10:11 01:10:11 Red
X Drive Mount 1 00:04:04 00:04:04 Black
Y Drive 2 00:05:26 00:10:52 Red
Z Drive 2 00:06:09 00:12:18 Red
Temporary Strut 4 00:01:45 00:07:00 Black
Front Rail Roller 1 00:05:23 00:05:23 Red
Rear Rail Roller 1 00:06:01 00:06:01 Red
Bearing Wheel Bracket Front 1 00:03:56 00:03:56 Red
Bearing Wheel Bracket Rear 1 00:04:07 00:04:07 Red
Z Stop 1 00:00:54 00:00:54 Black
Z Stop M 1 00:00:54 00:00:54 Black
Brace 8 00:06:38/50% / 00:05:47/30% 01:23:58 4 red/4 black
Hose Hanger 8 00:01:41 00:09:28 4 black/4 red
X Tensioner 1 00:01:24 00:01:24 Red
XZ Plate Left 1 00:13:10 00:13:10 Black
XZ Plate Right 1 00:13:10 00:13:10 Black
Front Y Belt Holder 1 00:01:21 00:01:21 Red
Front Y Belt Base 1 00:00:46 00:00:46 Black
Front Y Belt Holder Right 1 00:01:21 00:01:21 Red
Front Y Belt Base Right 1 00:00:42 00:00:42 Black
Y Tension Block Rear 1 00:01:24 00:01:24 Red
Y Tension Base Rear 1 00:01:04 00:01:04 Black
Y Tension Block Rear Right 1 00:01:24 00:01:24 Red
Y Tension Base Rear Right 1 00:01:04 00:01:06 Black
Rail Block 18p1 14 00:01:08 00:16:20 7 Black/7 red
YZ Plate (optional) 2 00:21:55 01:19:50 Black
Makita Tool Mount 2 00:02:59 00:05:58 Black
Makita Vac Top 1 00:03:33 00:03:33 Black
Makita Vac Lower 1 00:04:46 00:04:46 Black
SKR Bottom 1 00:15:36 00:15:36 Silver Silk
SKR Lid 1 00:15:35 00:15:35 Silver Silk
TFT35 case body 1 00:05:30 00:05:30 Silver Silk
TFT35 case left side 1 00:01:51 00:01:51 Silver Silk
TFT35 case right side 1 00:01:43 00:01:43 Silver Silk
TFT35 case clip 1 00:02:39 00:02:39 Silver Silk

Total print time? In the beta I think we varied from 90-250 hours.


If my drunken math is right, i’m at like ~233 hours, on craptastic $69 Ender3.


That sounds about right, was that with the
ender 3 standard quality print settings?

It was about 3 weeks for me, I didn’t count the hours but 3d printing stresses me out and I’m now feeling the relief!

1 Like

what infill do you recommend for the yz plates? 70 like the xz? or 100? thanks for the help

It is specified here, LowRider CNC V3 - V1 Engineering Documentation

Yea, that was with standard print settings at the infill densities called out in the instructions. The only pieces i didn’t print on the Ender3 are the end plates… Did those on my LK1 just because of size.



So kind of bizarre… Maybe I’m just missing something? It looks like this part printed wrong and I’m hoping someone can just verify for me. Trying to attach the X tensioner and it looks like there should be a lip in this hole for the screw to grab onto, but it’s just a straight through hole. I double checked the models in Cura and it does seem like there’s a lip there… Just making sure I’m not an idiot and completely missing something.

1 Like

Yeah there should be. Is that from me? How the heck does that happen? That actually looks like the small hole is just missing and you have a counter bore all the way through.

1 Like

LOL… no idea how that happens. Like i said, the model looks right in the slicer. I’ll just re-slice, and re-print.

Thx for verifying!

1 Like

So i just went back and checked the gcode file i printed, and it doesn’t have a lip in that hole. I re-sliced, and now it does…so I’m not really sure what happened there. About all i have is that i somehow had it aligned below the print bed plane when i sliced and just didn’t notice… I’ll compare the two once i get the new one printed. This has to just be user error…

1 Like

Just a quick follow up to close the loop…

Definitely didn’t have it lined up with the build plate when i printed, and completely missed it in the slicer. 100% user error. Side by side pic of old and new: