Screen lights up - no text

Nope, stays flashed.

As far as I know there has never been a report of a board un-flashing itself.

Can you please show us a picture of your board and how it is wired up?

Another thing to look into is that green power adapter. There have been reports of poor connections on occasion.

You can crimp the end a bit to give it a better connection, or bypass it all together and cut off the barrel jack and wire it directly.

Any chance of magnets or static nearby?

I think my setup is pretty reasonable. I have the RAMBO board mounted in a 3d printed box attached to a steel shelf structure. The display is setting on a shelf nearby, but will eventually be mounted in another 3D printed piece to be attached to the first one housing the RAMBO board.
I haven’t tidied up the wiring as I’m still just trying to get it to work.

I’m not following on your logic with the power connector . How would that cause it to lose the flashed software?

No significant magnetic fields or static nearby that I’m aware of. No big thunderstorms rolling through the area lately.

A few people have had issue where the leds light up but the system actually does not get enough power to boot. There are a few forums topics about it. Seen this enough to where I was opening and pulling out all the adapters for a while and cutting and stripping all the power supplies for a few hundred.

Sometimes running a vacuum on the system or building on carpeted floors can mess with it.

I swear I am not trying to be difficult. When I see something new after nearly 7 years of this, I just start thinking about the random stuff that makes random oddball issues happen. The connectors and static have come up several times with odd random stuff like this. There was even a very long troubleshooting thread where we finally determined it was an old refrigerator kicking on in his shop that was nuking his board randomly. I swear I am trying to be helpful.

The only thing I can see that could be an possibility with your pictures could be the laptop USB, if it is powered from a different circuit (like the fridge), it can cause an odd ground loop (kinda common). So try with no adapter and straight from the wires, and no laptop plugged in. If nothing goes wrong, try making sure your laptop and MPCNC power supply are on the exact same outlet using something like a power strip.

I finally got it to do something - it drew the crown! That’s pretty exciting.
I have the laptop and the power supply cord plugged into the same surge protector strip - don’t think it’s any weird issues with that. This is all in a detached garage powered by a subpanel running 60 feet from the main panel in my home.

In the last few weeks since flashing it, I’ve had a shop vac and a belt sander running, but those are on a different circuit breaker from the MPCNC and laptop. I don’t think I’ve used the table or miter saw. Other than those, it’s been things like charging batteries and the overhead lights. I can’t recall any other heavy loads.
I’ll keep track of what I use and where along the way the flash is lost if it happens again and update.

For now, I just need to get more comfortable with Repetier and Estlcam. I thought this part was going to be easy after working with Solidworks, DXFs, STLs, and a few different slicing programs for work stuff and home stuff, but it’s not as intuitive (to me) as I was expecting. I need to spend more time surfing through the forums to get smarter.

Thanks for all your help and quick responses @vicious1 .

2 Likes

estlcam has lots of info built in. If you hover on an item most if not all have a great description that pop up.

If you get stuck, use the snip tool to grab a screenshot of what you are looking at and we can probably nudge you the right way pretty quickly.

1 Like