Rocky Mountain RepRap Festival 2023

that is my uniform, LOL, and I am in michigan :wink: Today was hot though. 80 something, next week 40, but hey sweatshirts and shorts it is :sunny:

2 Likes

heh

Cool, shorts with an emergency flannel.

1 Like

Yes, I’m still planning on coming. My wife was going to come with me, but it looks like she taking my daughters to a ballet. So, it may just be me. I’ll be there at some point Saturday.

1 Like

Awesome!

1 Like

I would love to, but I am the designated representative for that afternoon’s performance of Chicago. We like to have at least one family member at each child’s performance, and since they have a minor speaking role (reporter/one of the narrators), it’s sort of important… :wink:

4 Likes

What is that weather app?

1 Like

Ambient weather’s web gui.

2 Likes

It looks like I’ll be bringing 154 nickels. Not all exactly equal quality but generally good I think.

9 Likes

Whoa dude that is awesome. I love that and really appreciate it!

2 Likes

Wish I could. Too far away. I somehow never even heard of it until this year’s, but then it’s only been since Covid lockdown when I first built a V1E machine.

you hoping to cash those in or bet them?

1 Like

That makes sense. This is the first one in the right mountains (Colorado). There has been a midwest one for a long time, and I was scheduled to go in 2020. And an east coast one.

2 Likes

What are those made with? I thought that was lasered, but the more I look at it, it is obviously inlaid but with what?

Those are inlayed. He posted a link above how he made them… :slight_smile: Can’t find it though…

1 Like

These are made from 1-1/8" dowel from the orange store, inlaid with padauk.

Initial set was a long time ago (already then thinking of giveaways for MRRF).

I updated the procedure so I could batch them out.

• Tape down padauk blank (endgrain strip cross-cut from a board)
  • Tape down several round coin blanks (cross-cut from dowel)
  • Using surfacing bit (dovetail bit) cut padauk and coin blanks to consistent known thickness
  • Switch to v-bit and carve pockets in all coins and cut plug shape in padauk strip
  • Individually separate plugs and glue into pockets
  • Wait for glue to dry
  • Switch to surfacing bit and plane down coins slightly below initial surface
  • Remove all coins and sand slightly (surfacing is not quite smooth enough)

11 Likes

That’s what you call a production line! I haven’t tried to do multiples of anything, yet. this is really great inspiration.

3 Likes

WOW!

Using the CNC to do what it does best. That makes them even cooler.

2 Likes

So there is sometging new with voron at rmrrf too!! Just saw it on reddit.

4 Likes

Well my machines got delayed in shipping…should have arrived in a few hours. No new delivery time but they are in Colorado about an hour and a half from the event so I am confident they should get there tomorrow. Fingers crossed, the pucker factor has increased. I had hoped they would be there Tuesday.

1 Like

I have a profound sense of “I am missing out on something” here.
Have a great time, all of you!

Don’t worry about your stuff, if all else fails you could go to every booth and get them to make one part of a machine as a festival project!! :smiley:

7 Likes