Rocky Mountain RepRap Festival 2023

I hope your equipment arrives in time. Yell if you need any local support.

2 Likes

This topic induced enough FOMO to push me into going.

Making stuff at a maker festival makes sense.

Will pack diamond drag bits, mounts, etcā€¦ for just in case, if that helps. Currently planning to bring my half ar$ed MP3DP, but only if itā€™s not going to be an embarrassment. Let me know whether to bring the LR3 instead.

@SupraGuy, @niget2002, @probrwr and others cheers for sharing your mounts, mods and build journeys.

6 Likes

Iā€™ve never been to a Makerā€™s Faire (they donā€™t have even the equivalent in Aus) but Iā€™ve been to a ton of wooden boat festivals.

One thing I learned from my good friend and co-conspirator Michael Storer was to leave the perfect stuff at home if you want to engage the crowd. The boats that were built built like pieces of furniture were greatly admired and attracted a good audience, but they stood well back in admiration, knowing they could never achieve that level of finish.

The imperfect ones were fantastic - people would see a mistake or a run in the epoxy and think ā€œI could do that!ā€ and would happily come closer to inspect and chat.

So take your half asred MP3DP and be prepared to talk your socks off! :smiley:

4 Likes

Everyone have fun! I will be here across our nation waiting for play by play!

4 Likes

Iā€™m sure your stuff will arrive tomorrow.
Is there a particular window for setting up? Or does everything happen Saturday AM?

We will share pictures here (or a new thread?) should be plenty of coverage between here and twitter. Maybe Iā€™ll get to come your way for a RRF one day soon!

Bring it, if it prints we will run it, if it doesnā€™t we should get some time to help you get it closer if not running.

Exactly!

Setup is Friday after 12 If you are setting up at my area, if you want your own space it is after 2, https://rockymountainreprapfestival.com/event-details/ Not exactly sure I am shooting for getting there at noon I guess, might take my time.

Shipping update, between 1-5pm tomorrow is the new arrival time and it has moved a bit so I am confident. I will relax a bit when I see the condition of the boxes, I think the host has a cam to check.

Bag is packed, took a shower, relax time and start the journey super early tomorrow morning. Canā€™t wait to meet some of you in personā€¦and the rest of you donā€™t burn the place down while we are not around ā€¦or you will get grounded when I get back. Keep a close eye on K Cummingsā€¦that ā€œtripā€ might be a ruse.

5 Likes

Setup day entrance,

3 Likes

Sadly events like this donā€™t really exist in Aus (perhaps thereā€™s one in Melbourne?) but if you do find yourself visiting, Iā€™m sure we have enough members of this forum within a few thousand k to arrange a get together! :wink:

4 Likes

Sounds like a good reason to start one up yourself! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Before or after I start the LR3? :smiley:

1 Like

This is inaugural event in Denver. So until this weekend, they donā€™t exist here either :slight_smile:.

4 Likes

Same here, though will most likely be looking for the rebroadcast on Monday. I am a Star Wars Nerd and a member of the 501st. I have an event in Durham on Saturday to support the Cancer center there, so will be dressed up hoping to make someoneā€™s day a bit brighter!!

Safe travels to everyone!!

6 Likes

Not it!!!

1 Like

I swearā€¦ I just edit myself before posting.

But seriously, I fly out of Iowa on Sunday, and will be in Boulder until Wednesday. Iā€™d look at shifting my flight around, but my youngest has a performance Iā€™ve committed to on Saturday.

Also, youā€™d think the skin would grow thick after 50 yearsā€¦ but thereā€™s no ā€˜gā€™. Think diesel engines, not authors.

My last name is Eberl, not Erbel and not Eberle. I have had 2 people pronounce it correctly the first time. Most just see it and pause while they think about it.

I have also heard: Donā€™t bother making jokes about peopleā€™s names. There are no jokes you can make they havenā€™t already heard.

Since you have the same name all the time, there are no original mistakes.

Those pretty much explain it. I donā€™t get mad anymore when someone botches my name. But I do notice every. single. time.

Iā€™m definitely not throwing Ryan under the bus here. I didnā€™t notice the mistake, and I would have written the same thing.

Words are hard
ā€“ An engineer, probably.

2 Likes

My grandparentā€™s last name is similar. I lived with them when I was in college. If someone called and stuttered when trying to pronounce their last name, Iā€™d just hang up.

1 Like

They were handing out awards at one of my kidā€™s events and they mispronounced his last name. He wasnā€™t used to it, so he just assumed it was someone else.

It is something I am so used to. When a sub was taking attendance and they came to ā€œJeff ā€¦ā€. I would just say, ā€œhereā€.

1 Like

Iā€™ll admit I saw Eberle until I took another look. My last name is unusual, and Iā€™ve heard some bizzare variations on the pronunciation, most stemming from the ā€œGā€ in my name is a hard spind (like good) and people seem to really want to pronounce it with a soft sound (like giant).

1 Like

It just dawned on me, if it were Eberle or Eberly (like the telescope) then you would be Jeffeb4.

1 Like

No. Itā€™s dumber than that. On AOL, I tried making jeffe and it was taken. So I made jeffeb. That got filled with spam, so I made jeffeb2. That filled with spam, so I made jeffeb3. Then spam filters were invented.

1 Like