Raspberry Pi cad/cam?

Hey so i was curious if there are any good cad-cam programs for the raspberry pi. Im ok with fusion360 however my computer is not… and Pi’s are a heck of a lot cheaper than a desktop or laptop.

You can try onshape in chrome. I bet it will work if you’re patient. I can run estlcam in wine on my Linux laptop. I think bcnc and librecad both work on a pi. Then there’s openscad and freecad, but I don’t know which options those have for cam.

1 Like

So you think that the estlcam can run on Pi?? Seems like that is the preferred software for cadcam from ryan. Is it as graphic intensive as fusion360? My laptop does ok until i start doing svgs then it really bogs down.

It is way less graphics intense than fusion. It gets bogged down when there are a lot of lines, like intense trochoidal milling. I’ve never used wine on a pi, but from a computation standpoint, I bet it would be fine.

1 Like

I guess trying to use wine on pi will fail. Because it designed to run windows x86 binaries on x86 hardware, not emulate it on arm. Estlcam is .net application and in theory may be can run with linux version of .net framework, but i think it uses specific ms assemlies. So it’s better to ask author.

Hmmm. You’ve got a good point there…

Also openscad is not cam at all. You can use it as simple cad for simple things, but what you can get is just 2d dxf or 3d stl. And it’s pretty cpu intensive.

Online cads, i guess are also like cpu because they have to extensivelly use javascript and webgl in the browser. If course you may try.

May be you may try freecad if it has arm version. I don’t know is it have cam module.

as online CAM you may try following:

http://jscut.org/jscut.html
very basic

looks not bad. has fdm slicer\laser cut\cnc milling modes. a set of tools. you may customize gcode part (as example tool changing). i don’t really used it but may be you will have luck

1 Like