Questions on LCD and repetier host

When I first got to using the LCD I tried to cut it would not cut where I put the bit, it would move first in the wrong direction then cut often into air. I learned I need to always “reset coordinates” to set the bit zero (in the v1 custom menu options) to where I put the bit. I am assuming that is normal?

So, that mostly works but it’s kind of a pain to dial in the feed rate with the computer>card>LCD workflow to make each change. I did not notice a way to do it in the LCD at runtime. So I was hoping I could use Repetier host here to dial in at runtime. I am guessing I can use the “Feed Rate” in Manual control to ± the feed rate a bit to dial it in at runtime???. Or do I need to modify the GCODE?
Hmm what are the units it just says 100 in the online help. Repetier-Host Documentation - Repetier Software

Well the same this is happening with Repetier Host. When I get all setup and nudge the bit manually to the desired location then click start print, it then raises UP in the +Z and cuts into thin air instead of the piece.

Is there a reset coordinates that I have to do in Repetier host?

For reference I took the same file from the same SD card and loaded it i nto the LCD and placed the bit and clicked “Reset Coordinates” and it cut fine without raising. So I do not think it is the g-code itself.

The g-code to reset all coordinates is a G92:

G92 X0 Y0 Z0

This g-code can be automatically inserted at the top of your file in Repetier-Host, or can be done in your CAM software.

In Repetier-Host, select Config/Printer Settings. Select the “Scripts” tab. With “Script” set to “Start Code,” enter your g-code in the large edit field. What is put in this field will automatically be inserted at the beginning of your g-code file.

You don’t say what software you use for CAM, but almost all CAM software has a similar mechanism for inserting g-code. If you do the insertion in CAM, the file will run correctly no matter how you run the g-code (g-code sender or SD card), so you won’t have to do Reset All Coordinates when running off the SD card.

If you don’t want to insert it automatically, on the Manual tab in Repetier-Host, you can type it in the G-Code filed and set it that way. In Repeteir-Host, it can also be added to a custom button.

So, that mostly works but it’s kind of a pain to dial in the feed rate with the computer>card>LCD workflow to make each change.

I don’t know exactly what you are doing. If you are running in Marlin Mode (TFT display) or if you are running a Rambo with an LCD display, you can turn the control knob while the job is running to scale the feedrate. Note that scaling the feedrate, whether it is on the display or in Repetier-Host, is executing a M222 g-code.

Thanks Robert,

I am running ESTLCAM and either Repetier Host or SD Card in the Rambo 1.4 w/ LCD (from Ryan around Oct/Nov-ish w/ V1 Firmware pre-installed). If that is what you mean by the TFT Display (LCD) then yes. Ill have to look again I did not see that option but I may have missed.

But now that I think about it I am not sure what changing the feedrate would do. You said scaling. Does not mean if I say enter something like 110 it runs it 10% faster on all existing gcode? If I am wrong and it just “changed the existing line to whatever I set” I would need to know the units and its just going to go back when it gets t the next gcode. Which wont be very useful.

If that is what you mean by the TFT Display

The Rambo usually uses an LCD display like the Full Graphic Smart Controller, and Marlin is responsible for managing that display. With that display, when your job is running, you can twist the knob to increase or decrease the feedrate.

The TFT is something different, though it can emulate the LCD display. V1 sells a TFT with the SKR Pro.

if I say enter something like 110 it runs it 10% faster

Yes, that is how scaling the feedrate works. It scales all feedrate commands going forward (including the current state).

I am running ESTLCAM

ESTLCAM has the ability to automatically insert g-code commands. See Setup/CNC Programs, and go to the “Texts” tab. You want to put your code in the "Program start sub-tab.