Program that can add background texture?

Can I achieve this effect without using v-carve, preferably inkscape or f360? Thanks

2 Likes

You can transform a bitmap texture to an extrusion with a Fusion360 plugin:

Don’t know how easily that would translate in CAM though

2 Likes

This may or may not help, but I have a memory that there is a way to use Cura slicer to convert an image into a 3D shape.

1 Like

I played with making insoles awhile back in openscad using this technique. It may not quite be what you are looking for though.
My Adventures with 3D Printed Insoles - Part 1/4 - Gyrobot Ltd - CAD Design and 3D Printing

1 Like

I haven’t played with inkscape in a long time, so I might be confusing it with another app…

I recall some way of making similar patterns using noise filters on greyscale images. I used to make them to use as bmp files for rendering texture on objects in povray. Maybe it was gimp?

It’s not exactly what you’re after but this may be of interest

1 Like

If you wanted to model that wave pattern and then follow the model with a tiny bit, you can use a bunch of techniques to model that (I don’t know if a simple one).

It definitely looks more like each one of those waves was made by a single pass from a larger bit. That would have to be done by a very special function in CAM. I don’t know of any. But I do remember seeing that in some woodworking focused CNC like machines.

You’ve set my mind abuzz!

1 Like