Problem compiling ramps dual endstop firmware

hi i recently started building my mpcnc and have been having issues compiling the firmware for the ramps 1.4 and atmega2560. i have got the v1 non dual endstop firmware to compile and upload but can not get the dual endstop to compile at all. here is the error in platformio since arduino ide refuses to do anything other than freeze.

Verbose mode can be enabled via -v, --verbose option
CONFIGURATION: link deleted
PLATFORM: Atmel AVR 2.1.0 > Arduino Mega or Mega 2560 ATmega2560 (Mega 2560)
HARDWARE: ATMEGA2560 16MHz, 8KB RAM, 248KB Flash
DEBUG: Current (simavr) On-board (simavr)
PACKAGES:

• framework-arduino-avr 5.0.0
  • toolchain-atmelavr 1.50400.190710 (5.4.0)
    Converting Marlin.ino
    LDF: Library Dependency Finder -> link deleted
    LDF Modes: Finder ~ chain, Compatibility ~ soft
    LibraryManager: Installing Arduino-L6470
    Using cache: C:\Users\user.platformio.cache\e0\a85bf8ed5b8232b743f62637d1e2c2e0
    Unpacking…
    FileNotFoundError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: ‘C:\Users\user\Downloads\Marlin-MPCNC_Ramps_T8_16T_LCD_32step_DualEndstop\Marlin-MPCNC_Ramps_T8_16T_LCD_32step_DualEndstop\.pio\libdeps\megaatmega2560\_tmp_installing-hv9lul_2-package\Arduino-L6470-dev\examples\two_motors_synchronized\two_motors_synchronized.ino’:
    File “C:\Users\user.platformio\penv\lib\site-packages\platformio\builder\main.py”, line 168:
    env.SConscript("$BUILD_SCRIPT")
    File “C:\Users\user.platformio\packages\tool-scons\script…\engine\SCons\Script\SConscript.py”, line 597:
    return _SConscript(self.fs, *files, **subst_kw)
    File “C:\Users\user.platformio\packages\tool-scons\script…\engine\SCons\Script\SConscript.py”, line 286:
    exec(compile(scriptdata, scriptname, ‘exec’), call_stack[-1].globals)
    File “C:\Users\user.platformio\platforms\atmelavr\builder\main.py”, line 155:
    target_elf = env.BuildProgram()
    File “C:\Users\user.platformio\packages\tool-scons\script…\engine\SCons\Environment.py”, line 219:
    return self.method(*nargs, **kwargs)
    File “C:\Users\user.platformio\penv\lib\site-packages\platformio\builder\tools\platformio.py”, line 62:
    env.ProcessProjectDeps()
    File “C:\Users\user.platformio\packages\tool-scons\script…\engine\SCons\Environment.py”, line 219:
    File “C:\Users\user.platformio\penv\lib\site-packages\platformio\builder\tools\platformio.py”, line 131:
    project_lib_builder = env.ConfigureProjectLibBuilder()
    File “C:\Users\user.platformio\penv\lib\site-packages\platformio\builder\tools\piolib.py”, line 1036:
    project.install_dependencies()
    File “C:\Users\user.platformio\penv\lib\site-packages\platformio\builder\tools\piolib.py”, line 868:
    lm.install(uri)
    File “c:\users\user.platformio\penv\lib\site-packages\platformio\managers\lib.py”, line 281:
    force=force,
    File “c:\users\user.platformio\penv\lib\site-packages\platformio\managers\package.py”, line 702:
    pkg_dir = self._install_from_url(name, url, requirements, track=True)
    File “c:\users\user.platformio\penv\lib\site-packages\platformio\managers\package.py”, line 482:
    self.unpack(dlpath, tmp_dir)
    File “c:\users\user.platformio\penv\lib\site-packages\platformio\managers\package.py”, line 222:
    return fu.unpack(dest_dir, with_progress=False)
    File “c:\users\user.platformio\penv\lib\site-packages\platformio\unpacker.py”, line 149:
    self._unpacker.extract_item(item, dest_dir)
    File “c:\users\user.platformio\penv\lib\site-packages\platformio\unpacker.py”, line 39:
    self._afo.extract(item, dest_dir)
    File “C:\Users\user.platformio\python37\lib\zipfile.py”, line 1602:
    return self._extract_member(member, path, pwd)
    File “C:\Users\user.platformio\python37\lib\zipfile.py”, line 1673:
    open(targetpath, “wb”) as target:
    ================================== [FAILED] Took 1.88 seconds ==================================

Environment Status Duration

megaatmega2560 FAILED 00:00:01.878
megaatmega1280 IGNORED
at90usb1286_cdc IGNORED
at90usb1286_dfu IGNORED
DUE IGNORED
DUE_USB IGNORED
DUE_debug IGNORED
LPC1768 IGNORED
LPC1769 IGNORED
melzi IGNORED
melzi_optiboot IGNORED
rambo IGNORED
sanguino_atmega644p IGNORED
sanguino_atmega1284p IGNORED
STM32F103RE IGNORED
STM32F103RC_fysetc IGNORED
STM32F103RC_bigtree IGNORED
STM32F103RC_bigtree_USB IGNORED
STM32F4 IGNORED
STM32F7 IGNORED
ARMED IGNORED
STM32F103VE_longer IGNORED
mks_robin IGNORED
mks_robin_lite IGNORED
mks_robin_mini IGNORED
mks_robin_nano IGNORED
jgaurora_a5s_a1 IGNORED
STM32F407VE_black IGNORED
BIGTREE_SKR_PRO IGNORED
BIGTREE_BTT002 IGNORED
teensy31 IGNORED
teensy35 IGNORED
STM32F103CB_malyan IGNORED
esp32 IGNORED
fysetc_f6_13 IGNORED
linux_native IGNORED
SAMD51_grandcentral_m4 IGNORED
include_tree IGNORED
============================= 1 failed, 0 succeeded in 00:00:01.878 =============================
The terminal process terminated with exit code: 1

Terminal will be reused by tasks, press any key to close it.

That is an odd file to be looking for. Why would an example be in there? and why is it looking for it?

honestly i have no idea im completely new to everything except arduino in general lol. i cant even get marlin to compile at all on the arduino ide so tried platformio and still got issues. so far i have only been able to compile the standard v1 firmware and move my motors with the lcd and pot.

Ryan stopped updating the ramps branch (I think) so that branch may be from bugfix-2.0. But I don’t think there’s a good reason it shouldn’t build. Ryan was usually testing with arduino, so that should work. But there is another thread today trying to compile that same branch and failing. It makes me wonder if something broke.

@fingerss, Fav is trying to compile the same version of the code (I think).

Here is fingerss’s thread: Ardunio preconfigured files

I am hoping we can help each other find a way through this. I will try to build it with arduino later tonight and make sure that still works.

yes that is the same exact issue i am having when trying to compile the v1 firmware in the arduino ide. i was able to use the same firmware files in platformio and compile and upload just fine. but after getting the original firmware working i tried the dual endstop firmware and it wont compile on the ide or platformio. and i did turn on verbose while compiling on the ide and it gave a massive list of errors and took like 25 mins before it finished errored out lol

i have also tried 3 different versions of the arduino ide including 1.8.12 and 1.9 beta with the same errors on both. also have tried on 2 other computers with no luck

I am using Linux, which may be different. I also haven’t updated arduino in a while, but it just compiled for me. I have arduino 1.8.10, and u8glib 1.19.1. I will try upgrading those and see how it goes.

I see the same behavior in 1.8.12. It works just fine.

It looks a little different, maybe, because my dpi is all messed up (so some text is the wrong size on this monitor) and I have “use external editor” enabled, which makes it grayed out.

This is the MPCNC_Ramps_T8_16T_LCD_32step_DualEndstop branch, from here: https://github.com/Allted/Marlin/tree/MPCNC_Ramps_T8_16T_LCD_32step_DualEndstop

So, what are we missing? What is different? What has changed?

Do you both have the board set to the “Arduino mega or mega 2560”?

yes the board settings are correct as i said i can get the regular firmware to compile just fine on platformio and it uploads fine and i can get the motors to respond and everything. but for some reason i can not for the life of me get the dual endstop firmware to compile on either arduino or platformio. ill try to compile it again and show my output from the ide

i am running win 10 if that means anything at all

Unfortunately, I don’t have the ability to get windows 10 running. I have only Linux on my machines. I hope that isn’t the cause.

There really isn’t enough difference between the dual endstop and not versions for it to hang arduino like that. Something just isn’t adding up.

yeah i figured it wasnt much different but for some reason i have had nothing but problems. the ide has been compiling for about 20mins now ill post the output when its done

That seems totally wrong. It takes me about 20 seconds.

Do you have the verbose output on?

yeah every other sketch takes about 5 secs to compile and upload but marlin and the v1 firmware both take about 25 mins to compile before they error out

yes i have verbose enabled to show me that it was atleast doing something and not just freezing

1 Like

this is what my ide froze on after 20 mins lol