Probe question

Those stabs being taken at the material look to me like the contours were not properly closed or that there were tiny fragments of a drawing that are being done as well. Had that happen to me before.

It should just show up in device manager, if not the driver is linked in the instructions.

What version of windows?

1 Like

I forgot, last time I attempted to connect via USB it couldn’t find the com to connect. It attempted COM4 and COM3 serial ports but to no avail. I’m in a terrible cycle here. Not getting solid carving and not a way to connect to the Jackpot. I’m thinking I will need to return to the old Archim board to complete this build - I’m running out of time. I can’t play with this much longer.

Did you use the driver I linked in the instructions for connecting to a PC?

Also lets step back a bit here. Do you have any issues with the test crown? Are we sure you just don’t have a bad gcode file? Can you link it to make sure you have made all the changes need for GRBL from Marlin.

Are you not able to connect to it over wifi from your computer? You don’t need USB.

You can actually even just use the web interface from a chrome browser and it should work, FluidNC Web Installer

Well, it helps if one reads the paragraph on the drivers. Got those loaded, then I got the Browser tool to work. And uploaded the Fluid files: 3.7.8 version uploaded. Went in Estlcam and worked those settings. Saved.

I’m going to run a test now.

Nice!!

The chrome webinstaller is an amazing tool now that you get a connection. If you have any other issues, that should be much easier for you.

Test almost there. The script you provided earlier that forced the probe has been cleared. I now have to go back up and re-work this. But, I did see my cnc program have an .nc as extension vice .gcode so that’s a decent start. Think I have to go back up and retrace my steps in that initial probe issue.

? That is just a starting sequence that you should have in your CAM program.

Why? Either work, our instructions say to use .gcode.

I feel like there is a misscommunication here. Using a touchplate is typically done in your Gcode. Starting and tool change no other place.

Is this after you switched to EstlCAM 12 as you mentioned in the other thread? EstlCAM 12 doesn’t import the settings files correctly, so you’ll have to manually transfer everything.

I’m done for tonight. I’m not picking it all up. I swear I’m following the directions and guidance you all are putting down but I just can’t get through this.
Fresh start tomorrow

If you are on estlcam 12 that is the issue.

I highly suggest sticking with estlcam 11 until I make the switch and update all the instructions. Using beta software with no instructions is going to make this a lot harder. Unless someone exports all the estlcam v12 settings. I am not planning on switch for a a long while.

Like I said if the test crown works the machine and board is fine…it is a CAM issue. If you are on v12 that just cements this as the issue.

I think he switched to try to fix the original CAM issue from the feedback in the other thread:

It’s a little difficult because he’s got multiple threads going with different pieces to the puzzle.

I emailed the EstlCAM guy earlier this week and got no response back. I’m happy to test EstlCAM 12 in parallel as long as I have a place where I can give feedback, but I see nothing on the site and didn’t get any email response either.

I do a fair amount of cam carving with estlcam 11 and it does random pokes. If we got rid of that, it would sure cut down on the carve time because in most cases, the pokes are typically within the carve as far as I’ve seen…

I’ve done exactly 1 carve, but mine had the same behavior. Although it all came out fine, I couldn’t help but wonder why?

It almost looks like it has something to do with the stepdown. It’s like it processes everything at each level first across the design and for some reason it thinks it’s needs to do an initial hole there.

I’ve seen that behaviour, and thought it had to do with DOC. It makes little pokes in places, then carves right through it, but it seems.to me that it was in places where it would have to go deeper later. Sometimes it is in a corner, and I wonder if that spot is between layer lines and it needs a little cut there to keep to the DOC setting. Some of those are so tiny that they could probably be ignored, but where do you draw the line? Either you obey the DOC or you don’t.

I do wish that it could optimize the cut path a little better though.

1 Like

Yep, that’s kinda what I figure too.

The line has to be at what the settings say. Programmatically it’s very difficult to assess when it “matters”, so I guess this is one of those things that maybe an AI integrated CAM solution may be able to do better in the future.

For now, I would just be happy if CAM and slicers, etc could just get rid of some of the unnecessary travel moves.

I feel like I’m constantly looking at these things saying “Why did you go all the way over there?? You’re gonna have to come back to do this part…”

I searched around threads and hadn’t seen this done, so I went through and input all the CNC Program Settings into Estlcam 12 Beta, by simply comparing side-by-side with Estlcam11 after importing your current config (From the Jackpot page.) [Edit- moved to Estlcam Forum,(Jackpot: Lowrider CNC Settings Config for Estlcam 12 Beta) ]

See, me being German made me call the folder “Fräsdateien”. Fluid does not like the “ä”. Without your comment I might have gone mad. :smiley:

2 Likes