Primo upgrade - Tromsø, Norway

Vary nice :ok_hand:

I’ve been planning to use the stl of the mountain as a source of SVGs to plot. My plan was to import it in Blender and to export nice plottable sketches of the mountain, from a 3d model, rather than halftoning or other pixel-based approaches.

I’m planning to use the mountain model as a showcase for the maker faire next weekend. This way, I could demonstrate different techniques to re-create the mountain in various ways(using v1e-machines) as a theme for my booth. (this has also been my thought behind the v1e-workshop topic, that I haven’t had time to follow up on)

BUT OH MY GOODNESS - Blender is another rabbit hole! Working in 3d is confusing enough, though I’m started to get a hang on different ways of CADing. But working in 3d and then having to RENDER it, is super confusing! Viewport-cursor-camera-scene-view options-render options-render-enginge-post-and-pre-render options. Sweet Lord have mercy! In the end I got some kind of vectorized image, but I haven’t checked in estlCAM, how the plotting would work out yet.

@vicious1 - do you have some of the SVGs from the previous maker faire that I can borrow and use in Trondheim?

Edit: another possible approach could be using a wireframe render. But it would need massive simplification, don’t know if the necessary details would show thus…

1 Like

Here are the different outputs I was able to create. It’s quite neat being able to use a 3d model for a plotting, I’m thinking about more elaborate landscape, like a mountain range or an archipelago.

4 Likes

You can cut these up in estlcam if you need to remove something.
ISO and OS Logo.zip (523.7 KB)

1 Like

Niiice! Thanks alot. Will ask for some vectors from the faire, to replace the open sauce graphics.

2 Likes

Trying to CAM those files. estlCAM goes crazy because of all the details:

How do I avoid those circular shapes? Maybe I should try a different approach. Vectorize an image like normal people do.

Haha, what do you know, look at this: Estlcam - problem - errant big circles - #3 by Brentos89

It’s weird how I often end up at this forum, even though I google things not mentioning v1e or MPCNC. I guess google know me too well. Would’ve been interesting to see how high the forum is, in a “neutral” search.

Export the file and use a visualizer to see if those are actual cut paths or just artifacts.

Does anyone have a rambo running with cncjs? Mine is packed in a suitcase on way to Trondheim… I’ve tried looking at the gcode in nviewer, but it’s also full of huge circles. Are there anyone here who could help me out and see how it looks like in the interface, with the file uploaded?

https://www.askevold.net/plottertest.gcode

In Estlcam you can turn off arcs, that is the quick and dirty solution.

Yeah, I tried, but it still went all over the place…

Without arcs on that must be a file issues. Some sort of inkscape issue? Did my SVGs give you any issues?

Those loops happen when objects have tiny gaps in them that you can’t really see with the naked eye. Zoom as close as Estlcam lets you to one of those loops and you’ll see. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

You know what I’m going to do? I’ll make a bitmap version (with heigh enough detail level), and center trace new vectors!! I’m at work rn, can’t wait to try it out.

Another cool approach would be to render a nice bitmap in Blender, with dramatic lighting and do some kind of half tone/dotted/squiggle vectorization. But that would take even more getting to know Blender, and I don’t have time for that, since I’m traveling tomorrow already.

I heard the learning curve for Blender is something else… I have one for MMORPGS, substitute EVE for Blender… :smiley:

1 Like

Haha, I’m with you!!

I found a way! Exported png of the blender-svg in inkscape with 8000px width. Played around with the bitmap in a new document in inkscape to find a good threshold between details and rounding off/error compensation. The smallest speckles and unseen paths thus disappeared. Machining time in estlCAM went down from 2 hours to 1 hour and 20 minutes - and most important - no trippy exploded circles!!

1 hour and 20 minutes might sound too long, but honestly - it’s nice to have an intricate plot that can just run in the background. The SVG from @vicious1 took only 8 minutes. I could lower the speed significantly, but that kinda ruins the fun of a quick plot :smiley:

Really? I had one that was 45 minutes, and one that was an hour and a half. I would set them to run at 60-80% feed rate to keep them going longer.

That is a good find, glad you found a solution.

1 Like

Wait, I thought that was for Dwarf Fortress…

1 Like

I guess the MRRF logo has a LOT of details. The Trondheim Maker faire one is quite simple. I also think that I’m a little eager on the speeds, I actually plan to run it at 50mm/s! My corexy plotter ran well at those speeds, but I haven’t actually tested the tiny Primo setup. If it’s too fast, I can easy re-CAM it on site.

1 Like