Primo upgrade - Tromsø, Norway

Oh, that depends on the pen. The fine point gel pens I use overheat if I run too fast. Good speed it last 2.5 days, too fast it lasts about an hour.

Aaah - good point! Thanks, I didn’t think about the poor pen, being tossed around… :smiley:

I wonder what pens are best suited for speed and long runs… simple ball points?

Hmmm. Come to think of it, that my be what was happening with my pens… I was using Dollar store BICs and just assumed they were kind of crappy, but at 12 for $1.25… I just didn’t care…

1 Like

The gentleman that told me why I was killing my pens says he makes custom pens for his art that are air pressure fed. That keeps the nib cool enough not to melt and lets you move really really fast. That was a crazy conversation. He had some cool art.

I think a regular ball point (larger than 0.3mm) would go faster but they tend to be sort of sloppy fitting.

2 Likes

Ready for tomorrow morning! An endstop is not working, I’m afraid a wire broke during transport… not the end of the world, I was just hoping to use endstops if anyone wanted a multi colored plotting…

4 Likes

AWesome!!!

Maybe it just came loose I had one of mine do that at RMRRF during transport.

@turbinbjorn , I like the control box. It looks like your booth is outdoors. Is it a mix of inside and out or all outdoors? I would think any printers might have some challenges in an non-climate controlled area.

Have fun and keep us posted. Hopefully you can make some time to walk around and take photos.

1 Like

The silence before the storm. Today was school-day. Thousands of kids having activity runs. My booth had plotting your name or a drawing. The noise was intense, I called for a medic at one point to get painkillers for a banging headache. Didn’t have time for pictures, it was so stressful. Tomorrow I will get help from the organizers, so that I can leave the booth and stroll around. Did you know that AVR was invented in Trondheim? I guess you can call it the tech capital of Norway. It’s great to be here, but next time I’ll make a better plan for the hoard of kids…

Notice all the names on the back wall:

5 Likes

Everytime you post a picture I am looking for Santa to be walking around…

Those shows can be pretty wild. I have finally learned to not loose my voice, but it can be hard to get a drink or cram some food in your face.

I hope you are having some fun, getting the chance to check things out for a little bit should make it really fun for you.

Wish I could have been there to help!

2 Likes

Obviously we didn’t make it - because we’d have loved to be sharing the noise!

Keep up the great work! :smiley:

2 Likes

Highlight from last night: we were at the party with the organizers. I told a guy about my booth. He gave me a fist bump, a wink and said: “a fellow mechanical engineer I presume?” The unintended compliment got even better when he told that he was building satellites :nerd_face:

2 Likes

Finally, some calm. I’m on the train on my way to the kids who are with family. Staying there until tomorrow, before flying back home to Tromsø. Father-in-law has been at another maker faire in Southern Norway, but driving by car. (He’s brought his smithy with him!). He will pick up the MPCNC on his way north.

Today was a very different day than yesterday. The majority of visitors today were actually interested, and a few had been thinking about the v1 machines. Met a few maker personalities that seemed impressed by the v1e machines, that was fun. When the faire was closing, there was a queue with kids that didn’t get their chance to plot, some of them crying… I had to give away the few stickers I had left to comfort them.

My neighbor booth was an old friend who had made a bicycle-driven car simulator that hit you in the head with tree branches when you crashed
Air in you face when driving fast, and smoke when engine ran hot. Super entertaining! Today there was a tesla coil concert nearby, quite loud - but fascinating.

Fascinating to talk with the Microchip/AVR people, funny how my MPCNC is driven by their chips. The people in the booth didn’t know much about the history though.

All in all, exhausting, but an amazing experience! Next time I’ll hopefully have someone together with me!

Edit: forgot to mention that a guy who was very friendly and interested came at closing time to give me five nema 23! He had a bunch from a closed down company, so he liked to give them away. Maker community friendliness is amazing.

7 Likes

Looks like a good time! Talking with other makers like that is super fun, but can really make for a tired brain at the end of the day. Answering technical questions or keeping up with their project descriptions really fries my brain after a day or two.

1 Like

I think I lost my daily visitor streak yesterday! I’ve been dropping by here every day ever since(or quite soon after) the forum was ported to the new platform. It’s okay, I’ll still sleep well at night. Or maybe not, because I’m totally wrecked and sore. The reason for me forgetting to drop by is that we are digging and casting concrete foundations for a new workshop (YEAH!) at our holiday house. And we actually did the same thing that happened last time we were digging… we cut a pipe… Lord have mercy on us.

2 Likes

You might want to sell your services to villages in deserts. :smiley:

2 Likes

You made my wife laugh!

3 Likes

We might also be able to help the villages with snow!

1 Like

That is soo odd to see, it is in the 90’s for me today and I am trying to go wakeboarding later…My snowboard has dust on it and will for a few more months. Seems like another planet.

Snow is something we see once every 10-15 years and it only last a matter of hours lol

I saw snow once……1988