Primo Upgrade Medina, OH (Now with lasers!)

After drawing inspiration from @dkj4linux 's thread HERE I bought some 4x4 mirror tiles and tried some lazing.

Lighted room, unlit

Lighted room, lit

Dark room, lit

This was just burning the backing off, image reversed, at 1200mm/min, 80% pow, 30(7)watt NEJE laser.

It ablated the glass as it burned the backing, leaving a frosted finish. Zooming in you can see the stair-stepping on the shapes. I think I need to adjust my line interval a bit. This was at .1mm. This was just an quick test with an easy shape I had from when I made some slate coasters, I’m actually more of a VW fan :wink:

7 Likes

Super clean!

3 Likes

Edge-lit. Though, it doesn’t seem to diffuse all that well.

3 Likes

Jason made a write up a long time ago about lasing mirrors:

https://docs.v1engineering.com/tools/laser-engraving-mirrors/

It could maybe use an update. These neje lasers are a lot stronger than the ones we were using in 2016.

Your final product looks very sharp.

3 Likes

Here’s another one. Kinda reminds me of those framed mirrors you win at an amusement park for getting a ring around a bottle. Maybe the next one will be Led Zeppelin related. :guitar:

5 Likes

As promised. Nothing quite like spending $20 to win a $2 prize… totally worth it.

6 Likes

Ok, so using the Lightburn settings recommended by @dkj4linux, but adjusted for my 7watt laser (just a little faster feed rate), I got this.

My sister’s late cat.

Back-lit

Un-lit

Edge-lit really doesn’t work very well on this one.

Thank you David for all of your testing and research on the photo stuff! It’s been a big help for me!

7 Likes

That is clearly a cat. Nice work.

4 Likes

Very nice work!

1 Like