Possible fix for Jackpot / WiFi AP network issues

Just ran across this over at the FluidNC Discord; it may provide some insight for those who have Jackpot (or any other ESP-32 controller) issues with network stability on WiFi…

This article suggests disabling 40 MHz mode on 2.4GHz WiFi, claiming that it improves stability of ESP32 comms. It seems like a good idea to me. My smart lights kept going offline, until this router setting fixed the whole room

That is interesting. We have to try to remember this next time someone has an issue.

My routers only allow for me to adjust the 5ghz band to 80/160. To be a better neighbor, I dropped mine to 80.

40 is definitely what all routers ship with, slows down when you go to 20. Wonder how they found that?

Jackpots (ESP-32s) are 2.4 Ghz only, so 5GHz settings are meaningless.

Understood, while I was in the router settings, I decided to be the best neighbor I could, without buying a whole new network.

But there are settings for 2.4 as well. You should be able to find them easily.

I double-checked for my deco routers I can not change the 2.4 or 6ghz, only the 5. The other two autoset (I can not even choose a channel), so maybe they already are set narrow, maybe not.

I recently got a Unifi setup and it recommended that I “optimize 2.4 ghz channels for IoT” which appears to do this:

To optimize 2.4 GHz channels for Internet of Things (IoT) devices, lock your access points (APs) to non-overlapping channels 1, 6, or 11 with a fixed 20 MHz channel width.