Parametrized lowrider table

Hi all

I’m making a python script in FreeCAD which would prepare gcode of struts aimed at a light table.

The notch don’t match the stiffener for now because it’s taken from a more complex surfboard slicer, but that can be easily changed.

Shitty or useful ? I’d be keen to hear from wiser people before investing more time

1 Like

I like the idea! What I always contemplate is whether it would be possible to make pieces you can fit together to make the table smaller or larger on the fly.

You wanted to hear from wiser people, but I’ll share some info anyway… Sounds interesting to me.
Curious to see what you end up with.

Started out modeling my small LR3 bench by forking @geodave’s OpenSCAD based script. Started with Remix of Allted's Simple CNC Table to make it parametric by GeoDave - Thingiverse, forked that and ended up with v1engineering-mods/AllTedTable_Rev5.scad at main · aaronse/v1engineering-mods · GitHub was frustrated with OpenSCAD’s functional/declarative fake imperative syntax. Eventually switched to Fusion 360 (FREE) instead, I seem to be more productive using their parameterized sketches and solid modeling. Fusion 360 has a nifty Python API too.

If you enjoy it, it is worth it. If you want more people to join you, then it will need to be pretty easy to use and build. I think would be a real value add to the ecosystem.

If you build it, they will come. Probably.

1 Like

Very nice and interesting, thanks for your effort.
I’m also looking for an idea for the final table of my LR3 which for now is installed on a temporary solution.
If I may allow myself some suggestions, I would say that:

• to shorten the milling times I would only make 1 hole between two joints, maybe even oval instead of rectangular.
  • on the two sides Y I would like to have a double support to reinforce the two lateral tracks (on the principle of Ryan’s table I did some learning today, tramming - #42 by vicious1)
    With this solution it is also possible to level the supports before applying the work surface, thus avoiding tramming of the entire spoilboard
    But this is just my thought.
    Thanks for sharing

Allright thanks for your valuable feedbacks! let me see what I can come up with…

Making something movable AND flat is hard I think… Maybe use some vertical adjusters or something…

I’ll keep you posted if anything good comes out