Parametric Fenders for the LR3 now on Printables!

I really can’t wait to see some more builds with them. I love the look.

3 Likes

I am a little nervous I confess. I’m sure you know that you start to live with the little quirks but the outside world is merciless! :smiley:

I also really do like the way they finish off the machine - in real life they really do make it look like a bought one. I’ll try to be faster on the next iteration! :rofl: :rofl:

2 Likes

Just tell them they are doing it wrong. :wink:

It is hard to share your work for sure, but 85% of the time it is super awesome.

2 Likes

Well maybe we can get you an early look so you can plan ahead. When I get to that point.

2 Likes

Thanks, @bitingmidge, for this, and for being awesome!

I looked to see if you shared your CAD source file but did not see it. No pressure, just was looking.

1 Like

No I haven’t, partly because it really is a mess (but since it’s a free Onshape account it is public!) I’ll send you a link if you want to poke around.

You need an Onshape account, which is free, when you open the file hit the copy button in the top left and it becomes your file to work with.

1 Like

I’d sell one of my grandchildren for that! :rofl:

2 Likes

Thank you!

1 Like

I also am using the extra tall plates. I was looking for where those modified ones are available, but missed it. Did those get shared / posted?

Can you do a frog next? :yum:

I am also needing the frog version (extra long legs frog version)! LOL

Seriously, my YZ plates are 19mm thick, and the design seems to be for 16mm and thinner, so I need to either figure out how to remix the clips to make them 3mm shallower in Onshape (which I’ve not ever used), or else remix them in another modeling app. Peter was kind enough to share the Onshape link with me so I will probably look into that.

HI Doug, I ditched the tall version that I posted above, because I didn’t want to start mixing my files and it was a really quick sketch which was only making work down the track…

If you want to post the dxf of your plates I’ll knock them into shape, with a special version for 19mm plates! :smiley: I obviously didn’t take you into account I’m sorry!

I’m thinking the way to handle that going forward for now is to settle on one “tall” size - then if anyone has a tall build with an earlier or later version of Dan’s files it’s not really a big deal to cut new plates of that shape.

The reason I didn’t keep going was that each new dimension subtly affects all the other bits, and the waist line was different which meant an entirely new shape, so I couldn’t see any consistency for each model.

I think in future (and with the benefit of hindsight) if a parametric version were to be developed with a fender/cover in mind then only moving the lines from the “waist” up will make that easy to do a parametric version of the cover as well.

This is what I’m thinking - the waste kink stays in the same place and only the top line moves…

You are so awesome. Here’s the DXF for the version of extra tall plate I have:

Extra Tall YZ Plate, mirrored set.dxf.dxf (2.5 MB)

EDITED to add:

My remix of Dan’s tall YZ plate design has a cosmetic difference… In the following image, the red is mine, and the black is his (v1) design.

I’m a bit shaky on making the clips shallower, just because there’s a trade off there and it took quite a few broken clips to find the balance, but I think I’ve got close to 3mm spare in the shell to move them outboard (for my special friends).

Playing with my mad Onshape file will put you even further behind the 8 ball I think, there’s some very illogical logic there!

Seriously, I don’t mind having a crack, as others could benefit too I think and we’ll just use your dxf as the template if they want a taller build.

1 Like

It takes a lot of awesome to be this slow! :rofl: :rofl:

For openness and full disclosure, my remix of Dan’s tall YZ plate design has a cosmetic difference… In the following image, the red is mine, and the black is his (v1) design.

Also, for full disclosure: Mine are remixed as well.

f8b2f7e0ad80102ea4af225c74a29d431cfb32b1_2_511x500

:stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

That’s exactly why I scrubbed the idea - it’s just not practical to have a one-size fits all when in this thread alone there are three completely different designs needed!

This is your plate overlayed behind the bottom panel. You can see that it’s not just a case of changing the shape of the top cover. When we change the bottom cover all of the geometry and the cut planes change too.

I’d like to have a crack at it though, but can’t get back to it for a couple of days. The good news is that I think the 19mm thick mod is not going to be a problem!

3 Likes

I’ve got some ideas for that but you’ll have to wait… :smiley: If my clip theory pans out we should be able to make a template to use as the basis for a variety of things - a bit like a colouring book but in 3d.

Ohh it’s going to be a busy year! :smiley:

1 Like