New MPCNC for 2020! - Primo -

Wires, Duh. :grin:

Gives a place to zip tie the stepper wires onto to they stay out of the way.

3 Likes

Jeffeb3, Lotzki,
thanks for the additional info.
I will go with the screws I can get easier locally.
Still have some time though until I can start my update and now I am enjoying the reports of newly build Primos in the US.

It’s certainly a combination of things. I select 0.2 Quality not Speed on the Prusa profiles, I add a couple extra perimeters (I use 4 for structural parts), and use 70% gyroid infill. My backup plan if it failed was to print one much faster at lower settings. Fortunately it succeeded.

I get all my metric bolts and screws at Lowe’s. Larger selection as cheaper than Home Depot.

3 Likes

I’ll have to look. 5 min drive!

Not for my MPCNC, but I need m5 nuts, if I want to finish anything, this weekend.

Thanks!

Check to see if you have a Fastenal near you. They usually have what I need for a pretty good price.
McMaster-Carr is always an option too. Not always the cheapest but I get my orders the next day even with standard shipping. They always have what I need.

1 Like

I’m in the Bolt Depot 5 day range, plus holiday and covid backlog.

I DO need magnets from McMaster-Carr. Hmmm.

Just checked. There are 3 Fastenal within driving distance!

You can probably get magnets from fastenal too.

1 Like

Argh but WHY show me this place?!?!

They have so much fun stuff!

1 Like

Hopes. Dashed.

Just like my metal supermarket.

Edit: Yes there is another in my area but I’ve not driven past the airport, since I moved here

Edit 2: jeez. I don’t think I’ve driven more than 5 miles from my house in over 3 months.

3 Likes

Ok, its enough, Im starting printing today. After more than a year of watching all this machines, now is my turn… :upside_down_face:

3 question

1. what is the best nozzle and layer height for printing
  2. what is the best metod for collor change in simplify3D and at what layer are you doing it
  3. which color takes the most of filament A or B?
1 Like

Waited until the perfect time to start.

I’m printing PETG, so I’m using .4mm nozzle, .2mm layer height, 50% grid, 6 walls and 6 top and bottom layers.

Same, but higher infill for core.

Wish I could answer number 2 but I just haven’t been able to bring myself to buy s3d, yet.

Do you feel like it’s been worth it, for you?

EDIT: I think someone, on this thread, posted a picture of a spreadsheet with times and filament usage.

Of course is your preference, but 45% rectilinear would be better, and better yet Gyroid at 30% to 35% also you don’t really need 6 walls, top and bottom 4 is enough. I believe Ryan prints with 3 all around.

I Printed 3 Cores, 2 at 70% rectilinear and 1 at 55% Gyroid. I could not tell a difference in flex between the 2 of them.

1 Like

With which type of material did you print your core?

I stocked up on PETG during the Great Filament Shortage, so that’s what I’m using.

EDIT:

Yes. Overkill.

And you’re right. I used grid on my feet and it’s my OCD keeping me sticking with it.

There’s been a lot of informative discussion, on this thread, about printing techniques.

So does the Burly tool mount fit on the Primo Z rails? Or is there a modified version for Z rails of the Primo? And in the case of the latter has it been released and I just can’t find it?

If you have the J version of the Burly, you can use your the entire Z assembly, tube, tool moult and etc… Primo has it own tool “mount adapter” and new tool mounts, new nut trap (5mm screws).

1 Like

I don’t want to start a filament war. But PLA is recommended because although it cracks easier than PETG, it is stiffer/more rigid. There have been several MPCNCs and LRs built with PETG. But it calling it overkill is debatable. My guess is it is a give and take, with some features better and some worse. Some extra perimeters may make up the difference in stiffness.

3 Likes

I Printed with CF PLA, not that the I think the CF PLA would give me more strength, I did because I like the look if it.

6 Likes

That’s why I’m using such high numbers - attempting to make up the difference.

I have about 40kg of PETG and not even enough PLA to print the core. I just spent $80 on 2 magnets and, I don’t even want to say, on hardware.

If there’s too much flex in the PETG, I’ll get PLA, or I may just wait until the Voron is done, and print with the ABS I have left.

1 Like

Yes, to use Burly mounts you will also need to use the burly “tool plate” the one with all the embedded nuts, as well as the nut traps so you can use 6/32.

1 Like