New MPCNC for 2020! - Primo -

It does look great. Every time someone posts a link to it, I click, add to cart, and hover for a minute or so, before sulking away from the computer.

PLA will give a more rigid core. PETG is fine for mot of the other parts but as always and stated on the parts page, PLA is highly recommended.

3 Likes

Straight from the source. Welp, it’s 4 to 1 (giving Ryan an extra vote)

CF PLA, it is.

(for the core)

I made my LR2 with ABS and the current print for the Primo is CF PETG. I did a 75% infill for everything so far, so I hope I won’t have issues with PETG being too flexible having it countered a bit with more infill.

I have a few rolls of PLA too, but I gave up on using it. It ALWAYS gets stuck and gets ground away. I tried every tip out there on the internet and even redid the entire nozzle of the printer. PLA somehow must be softer initially than ABS and PETG which print at higher temperatures.

1 Like

I was JUST going to ask about that. I saw, somewhere on the thread, that someone was using CF PETG.

I have a little while to decide. Nobody is going to ship today, anyway.

EDIT:

Also, Atomic is sold out of CF PLA.

5354E7C6-1B30-4699-A699-98833352AEB0_4_5005_c

I don’t have any data to back up my believes but this https://3dprinting.stackexchange.com/questions/7037/what-are-the-advantages-of-gyroid-infill I do think that the Core with Gyroid at 55% or even 45% will have the same strength and properties as 70% rectilinear and will reduce the weight of the core by at least 80g.

I have the opposite problem. I can print PLA with a wide margin of terrible settings, but to print PETG, I have to get it right on. ABS is OK, but any long parts and I get enormous warping, and I really hate the stuff. It stinks, it shrinks, the bed has to be super hot.

I am on my first roll, but the CF PLA from Ziro was on amazon for $31/.8kg. It looks great and feels pretty good. I’m maybe 100g into it though.

2 Likes

Any ideas for a cable chain mount for x/y and z cables?

Opposite for me.

It took me so long to get used to PETG and longer to learn ABS, all while printing PLA fine. MPCNC parts were first things I printed.

Now, I can’t print PLA w/o screwing up the prints.

hey that’s cheaper. and with a recommendation.

If you want a better recommendation, Stewart says it’s all he prints, and he has 4 big printers, and years of experience. That’s what convinced me.

3 Likes

That is a great filament I have 2 and 1/2 spools of it seating at home.
The Core was printed with SUNSU CF PLA
That I also like it a lot

1 Like

I ordered my filament from Atomic and they did not have much more in 2.85 sadly. Filament is the next toilet paper…

Out of curiosity I searched for CF PETG tests and it fares pretty well in stiffness. So hopefully my core will be solid enough.

2 Likes

yeah I’ve got a dragon and an all metal, sitting here, waiting for the rest of my voron parts to come in. I MAY break down and use the all metal. I printed all my voron parts in a cardboard enclosure, in a tiny closet, with a mk3s. Definitely need to change the ptfe tube. I’m sure it’s a wreck, in there. But I’m SO dialed in for prints, right now, I don’t even want to bump the machine.

Careful, I don’t know the answer, but all those testes were done on a plane 90 degrees from the one I design around. I design for max strength along the layers with the perimeters acting as a belt to keep it all in. All the test I have ever seen do not test on that axis at all, do they?

2 Likes

Pretty easy to test really. You can print the new tool mount I hope to release today. Test the infill and percentages and see how much for it takes to flex it open a certain amount.

3 Likes

I know, like I said, I don’t have any data to back it up!

I want to try it so bad! it’s between that and the ziro.

that ±05mm accuracy on the ziro, though.

May have to look at others, like the sunsu.

Always nervous about filament I haven’t used before. Good to get recommendations.

.8kg enough to get through the core?