New MPCNC for 2020! - Primo -

I just did multi layers by necessity. Ran out of filament twice on the same part due to getting a bad roll. Now I’m stuck waiting on Amazon to deliver the super rare filament … PLA.

3 Likes

For me, PLA is not too too hard to get… It’s getting something that’s not just black PLA

1 Like

There are quite a few good example for pause, change filament, resart. Simpler than you may think. Do a google.

What do you know. Cura has the same feature. Now I gotta find something 2 tone to print!!! :smile:

1 Like

Not to drag this topic back up from a few days ago, but I was at a local-ish hardware store (Theisen’s) and what do you know, they carry DeWalt brand and had 2 DW 660’s on the shelf. If anyone has one of these (or similar) you might want to check it out.

2 Likes

There’s likely not enough money in the MPCNC to justify a patent. It costs multiple $10Ks to write, file and maintain a patent, and when someone uses your technology anyway, $100ks or $1Ms to prosecute a trial. I can’t be too specific, but in my industry it’s unlikely that you would want to protect something with less than a $30M to $100M potential revenue stream per year - depending on profitability.

Rather than spend $millions on lawyers each year, it usually works out better to simply spend the money on engineers making cool new stuff. Others will steal your ideas and copy them whether patented or not, so the best defense is to out-innovate.

5 Likes

Agreed

2 Likes

Also - my shop got crowded and I needed space, so I wheeled my MPCNC outside under a tarp. It melted.

Since we’re in a re-design cycle, there’s no point in re-printing the melted pieces, so I’m offline for CNC until the new design is ready to go.

I’m in a similar spot. I have a Burly MPCNC that never quite worked right, and I have most of the supplies ready for the Primo MPCNC. I know Ryan had said he’s never released the entire set of files for an MPCNC all at once, but I’d love to have the legs and trucks to start on, if they’re ready. :wink:

2 Likes

Getting close, Barry has a fully functional Primo, first full build ever. We also came up with a few small tweaks this morning I want to look into and hopefully I should have a shipment of parts soon.

8 Likes

Yeah that’s how I read it. Free to use as long as your CAD work files are available to the public. There may also be a bit about not selling the work but I think that means not selling the CAD files. You can still print and sell the prints.

1 Like

Another big hiccup, Another new set of center prints about to be tested.

2 Likes

Sounds like it’s too early for a definitive answer, but will the Primo parts still fit on a 150x150 build plate? XYZ_C_Burly.STL just fits on the bed of my FF A3. This mostly affects which of my other machines gets attention first. I kinda want to play with the Delta, but if I need a bigger build volume, I’ll see if I can make a working printer out of the Rigidbot. :slight_smile:

Looks like it, biggest piece is 140mm, so you would not even need to print it at 45 degrees.

1 Like

Yay! My X-One can handle that! :fireworks:

No! Bad Ken! You have the burly parts already printed, use those! :japanese_ogre:

But, there’s new, improved parts coming out… :pleading_face:

Don’t care. Get what you have working, and we can talk about upgrading later. :face_with_monocle:

Pffft. Spoilsport… :cry:

9 Likes

I mean, I don’t think the store is going to restock kits before the Primo is ready, so I think the decision has been made for me. :slight_smile:

Hey Ryan. Is the Lowrider getting a remake as well?

Not at this time.

1 Like

Hey Ryan. I recently graduated and was looking for a cnc to get started with as a hobby. I came across the mpcnc and it looks amazing and then saw that the new version is coming out and the original kits are sold out. Are they going to come back or are they going to not be restocked since the new version is coming?

I need to put in an order for 9mm belts to trianglelab on aliexpress for my Voron 2.4 upgrade, and I might as well order belts for my mpcnc. If I build a 2’ x 3’ MPCNC2020 (sorry, if you don’t name it we’re going to default to the thread title…), how much 9mm belt should I order?