New MPCNC for 2020! - Primo -

Yes, but it would likely make it difficult to get a patent later if you wanted to do so. From the link:

I don’t have much if any interest in a patent for the CNC related stuff. I was a little bummed I did not get included in a patent for a previous project, but in all reality I did not do much for that one.

I did get a lot of hate about this stuff and I think it is funny, no interest in pursuing a patent and still got crap about it, yet there are several 3D printer and related companies that hold patents, some of which are very broad.

Yes thats the intent behind Patreon; but you are missing something. You said “keep making the content I like” and thats true, but that content must be delivered fairly regularly, and fairly often, and be usable to the majority of the patreons. Otherwise no one will stick around. Most don’t, and won’t, see the bigger picture, the next release in two years. They see this month, or next. What content was produced that I could use. Was it worth it?

Like others have said, there are other DIY CNC machines out there, and some may even be better than MPCNC, but I didn’t see any other online communities that were as active, cohesive, and helpful, and that means I’m willing to contribute $ (and my time/advice where I can) to make this a better place.

It’s a small price to pay, and I’d be sad if the forum disappeared. (Just my own opinion/situation…not implying everyone needs to contribute $ and Ryan isn’t even asking anyone to do that.)

5 Likes

I believe the more apropos (and historically accurate) example is: “Guy A makes a great thing. Guy B makes a crappy thing that looks a lot like the thing Guy A made, and even markets it as the same thing, but at a lower price point. People complain to Guy A about crappy product from Guy B, and expect full support, while Guy B chuckles from the shadows, reaping the profits from his bait-and-switch scam.”

Guy B has zero interest in acclaim or attribution, just in sales. And avoiding support costs. Guy A now has to deal with not only his own product, but the hordes of angry consumers who got scammed by Guy B into buying crap. Sure “Suck it, you got scammed trying to get a bargain from someone else. You shoulda bought from me.” is a valid response, but not a good response.

1 Like

Oh definitely this as well; however with the MPCNC that could still be the case. Nothing is stopping another store from selling the same hardware kit that Ryan does (its just a bunch of off the shelf parts), or from someone putting it all together themselves from cheaply sourced parts.

Luckily, most people are honest…and lazy.

I give you lazy, but not honest, not even close!

Noone stopped me… But the issue isn’t the metal bits and bobs, but the printed parts. That’s what’s at issue. If you don’t already know that you’re on your own when you buy a $5.99 Arduino-Mega compatible board, you’re already lost. But if I squeeze out some poorly made parts, that are either just badly printed, or crappy remixes, and sell them as MPCNC or LR2 Printed Parts, that’s a huge issue.

the hardest part for me to get over is if someone else put together a hardware kit, just because they said it was all the same parts, would they actually be the same parts and would they work just as well. in this instance, it is just worth it to get it all from Ryan and i know it will work.

The printed parts are on me and if you do find someone selling them, that would be against the license and subject themselves to a lawsuit.

Patron wouldn’t be that bad. make an amount that those that believe in you could feel comfortable doing it once and stop. sure you get it only once, but that sum would make it worth it for both parties. then when Ryan makes Primo updates or version 3.0 (or what ever version we are on plus 1) you could do it again.

So how do you achieve that two tone effect? One red layer in the midst of the black part? Does the effect require a two extruder printer? Or can it be done with any 3d printer?

That is basically a pause, swap filament and go for two layers, swap back. The fancy way is to add the pause into the gcode, I guess prusa slicer has the option built in.

1 Like

so it’s not an easy process for the beginner eh?

As long as you can change filament without moving the extruder it is easy.

1 Like

do you just pause the print when it is time?

You can, but adding in a few lines of code with the slicer should be even easier.

and do you provide that code or am I going to have to do some homework? LOL…

I would try to use Prusa Slicer.
It is easy to use once you get to know the software interface.
I think it is just as easy as Cura.
YouTube has a million videos on it.