New MPCNC for 2020! - Primo -

Might be too much work, but spin off a sub business called V2 that just does the designs for V1 and sells them for $1 to V1, thus qualifying for the free rate again. :smiley:

5 Likes

$1k? I thought it was $100k?

Nope, its $1k. Here is an excerpt from their page.

*Individuals with “hobby businesses,” generating less than $1,000 USD in annual revenue, are exempt from the non-commercial requirement, thus for the free, personal use of Fusion 360.

1 Like

Changed it about a year ago. Of course, not many bloggers have any incentive to go back and update their older articles.

Shell companies… Is that how people hide money in the islands?

Checked yesterday I swear it said $1k, double checking. DAng I swear it said 1k…

Businesses must generate less than $100,000 USD in gross annual revenue (including parent entities) and have a valid website or transact on a social media or digital platform.

hhahaha Parent entities… there goes that. The company still does not qualify, gross sales are over that, I wish the net was as well!!!

Dang I am seeing $1k and $100k…nuts

And I have been at this more than 5 years… Autodesk Fusion for Startups | Autodesk Fusion, says has to be less than three years old.

It should be fine to use a step file, some software will generate a usable tree from it. That tree just might not be the way I do it specifically but it should have the same result an editable CAD file.

1 Like

I did a “remaster” of the burly tool mount in OpenSCAD, because I was not just making compatible tool holders, but a compatible tool plate to mount compatible tool holders. As long as it’s CC-NC it should meet the spirit of the license as a derivative, although I would still ask first with easily editable designs since they have more potential to get out of control.

2 Likes

In case it helps, AutoDesk also lets you subscribe to Fusion360 monthly for $60 a month. You could subscribe for a month in order to get the files out, and then cancel the subscription until the next time you need it.

I was under the impression that STEP files were one of the gold-standard CAD file types, along with IGES. Are STEP files unreliable?

I can’t wait to see the MPCNC Primo assembled! I’m getting the electronics together, and I’ve got my filament ready for when the files are out.

Thought about it, not sure if the files would stay up or not?

Well GP just confirmed step in fusion is not directly editable, they are in solidworks and some other CAD packages. So normally step is fine, maybe iges would be better for fusion. I was just kinda hoping to put up a round file ready to go and to edit it you could just edit the diameter and the rest would be 95% done for round tools.

Me too!!! I have never had it fully assembled all at the same time. I have tested the parts separately and I was isolating them to test vs burly directly section by section.

AND!!! fedex just dropped off my spool (8:30 PM here), I will print the last (I hope) pretty part for my build tonight and the beta testers should be off to the races tomorrow evening with what I hope are the last parts.

4 Likes

Nope!
Same thing just downloaded a random .igs file and it works the same…
For reference this is the file I used.
https://www.laserdesign.com/bracket-3d-scan

What about onshape? I bet they have a similar “nope” policy for your business?

I feel like I could make a version in onshape that was parametric from a step file. I’m no cad pro though.

I’m not as good on Onshape as I’m in Fusion… but as far as i have tested .step and .igs files is threaded the same way as fusion.
Tested the same file I posted above

Wait, let me make sure I understand. You’re saying that when I open a STEP file and alter it in Fusion360, the edits aren’t made to the STEP file but to the “tree,” which is a model of the object. And you’re saying that the tree is an approximation, not fully accurate to the original?

Threading is the way the CAD program builds the tree? Sorry, I’m curious and don’t know that much about the workings of CAD programs.

Once the STEP files are generated / exported, you can do what you want with the files, they wouldn’t be tied to AutoDesk. If you’re worried about chain of custody for the files if your account lapses, I believe the project still stays active even if you unsubscribe, you can use other AutoDesk tools to manage the project(s), and assign access to the source files to other people, and you might even still be able to edit it. I’m basing this on AutoDesk’s article “Access files after a subscription ends”

I use Fusion360 and think it’s pretty neat, not least for doing 193 different things in one software package. And I want to help if I can. I’m way excited for the Primo! So far I’ve heard you mention better belt management, and a better Z carriage… Tantalize us with more info about improvements, pretty please?

Yes!

2 Likes

Direct Modeling, Not Parametric modeling it that what you mean… kinda …It will be saved to the project .
Yes…

I’m no sure what you are saying about the tree… In direct mode editing you have no timeline (if that is what you call tree), so whatever you change 10 steps back can not be traced back.

Yes you are correct.

1 Like

Back in the 1980’s when the IGES format first came out & I was working on an AutoTrol CAD system, we called the IGES format the “I guess” format. Looks like it works pretty good now, but I only use that instead of STEP to troubleshoot conversion problems & I have only started using STEP since switching from openscad to fusion 360.

1 Like

So far the autodesk apps make the most sense to me. I still have 123d design installed on my desktop to bang out quick objects. Fusion is starting to make more sense, but I haven’t used any parametric stuff yet. Tinkercad is like making stuff with lego, and a hammer, that’s just not an intuitive app at all. Onshape was okay. Openscan looks too much like programing.

1 Like

I like tinkercad. :smiley: It’s missing some pretty important “pretty” functions like evenly rounding corners and edges but for just quickly putting simple shapes together it’s fast and easy.

2 Likes

I use the solidworks downloads from (whatever the online hardware company is) in my fusion designs all the time. You can’t edit the step file, but if you provide step files for the surrounding parts, then we can use that to design parts to fit.

1 Like