New MPCNC for 2020! - Primo -

Yay! A successful weekend! I have the Primo assembled and squared up, tensioned, etc. All that is left is a lead screw (arriving today) and the electronics! I have an old Uno based board I could use with GRBL, but I’d prefer something newer runs Marlin. Thinking either SKR Turbo or mini Rambo. The $$ difference is ~25%, but the question of reliability and support seems to have me doubting saving a few bucks (and getting a bigger screen and wifi).
Here’s some eye candy:

PS. Ignore the mattress… It’s not intended to be sound deadening or anything, it’s just “temporarily” in my build space.

7 Likes

You’re going to wish you had installed the steppers on the trucks before putting them on the pipes. Those little screws are a PITA to get into the stepper when upside down.

I removed 2 of mine after building the machine and felt like a contortionist trying to see where the little screw head was to get the screw driver on it.

I agree… I did just that, but then couldn’t feed the belts through, so I had to remove the motors and the idlers to get the belts in. I’d say thread the belts through and install the motors before you mount them on the rails.

2 Likes

I ran the original stepper motor wires for mine. It was a tight fit but it works

haha yeah I thought about that as I putting things together. Luckily I have some socket head cap screws which should be easier with an allen wrench.

well… that is what the instructions recommend :confused:

1 Like

You’re right! Those “Tips” are important! :grin:

In my defense the steppers ill be using are getting pulled off the 3D printer used to print all of this. Guess I was a bit impatient🤷‍♂️

1 Like

Todd here the the wire I will be using.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GRWVDQP/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

3 Likes

I totally should have bought that. I got some 4 wire led stuff for cheap, but I bet it will be nice to have steppers and endstops all in one!

It’s coming together! Feels like it’s getting really real now. Got my V1 order coming in this afternoon, as well as an amazon order with some cool switches I’ll be using as a “control board” type thing. Also planning on making my build thread once those packages come in. In theory I should have all, or at least most parts printed by this weekend so I can get started building (52.7% of parts printed).

5 Likes

Same here, I went with this stuff https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00L67YQ9W/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_slice_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1, but looks like I’m adding something else to the cart.

That’s the exact one!

I used this wire.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077MSF2ZP/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

What is this? A wire measuring contest? We all know it’s not how big your wire is, it’s how well you route it…

Maybe YOU know that…

Even 0000 gauge ain’t going to impress

1 Like

When I installed my belts I had already had the trucks mounted and the idlers and motors in place. I just fed the belt through the truck flat, then pushed the belt in with both hands on either side and the belt looped out between the idlers.

1 Like

I have an extra controller in my possession, it’s only 3 driver. What things limit a controllers ability to handle steppers in series?

Voltage, I think. Parallel divides current, series divides voltage. @jeffeb3 will correct me shortly. That and having the proper wiring harness.

But pretty much any stepstick driver on the market these days can handle running two MPCNC-class steppers in series.