New MPCNC for 2020! - Primo -

Yes, very close, but I adjusted the settings a long time ago.

Thank you!

Solid rods will be much heavier than tubing and will not really help with stiffness. You would have to cut much slower, especially when changing direction. It will be better to go ahead and use tubing as suggested.

1 Like

Great… now it’s stuck in my head.

1 Like

There’s only one cure I know of.

M’nah m’nah Doo Doo, Doo Doo doot…

2 Likes

Thank you! still a work in progress, I’m planing to add a fan, Aviator connectors and the Rambo in it…
Not enough time in the day to play with Fusion…

Or you could try…

Fun-ky, fun-ky, funky buddah…

Added a couple blanks.

1 Like

Just finished printing the last pieces of my primo, here in Toronto, Canada. This is my first mpcnc build and am thoroughly impressed with the design and fitment of every part. Big thanks for such an affordable, simple, and robust design!

7 Likes

Looking good, almost time to get it dirty!

Finished builds are finally getting done, very positive so far. Picking up momentum. This is going to get super fun. Maybe I can do a little giveaway to get some Primo videos rolling in as well! I have a stack of boards I don’t plan on using.

5 Likes

My rails arrive tomorrow! I will definitely be building this weekend!

The files and a brief description of how to install the Drag Chains is contained in the following Thingiverse item:

I used 36 Inch tubes for all 6 tubes. This was by convenience since that tube length was available in Stainless Steel on Amazon thus avoiding the need to cut the hard steel tube. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ZSWL0MC

For stainless steel I found these to be quite reasonable priced ($17.75 each + a total shipping from Philadelphia to Cleveland of only $26.30. Each tube was individually wrapped in plastic and all 6 were inserted into a cardboard mailing tube that just fit. Your shipping costs may vary.

4 Likes

@gpagnozzi - what wire are you running with your Aviator connectors? This mild upgrade is slowly becoming not so mild for me. I hear things like Aviator connectors, then google whats an aviator connector. Oh I know what that is, those would be cool, oh they come in 6 pin, I could wire up the endstops too. That would make it a lot cleaner. Let me order some of those.

Yay! A successful weekend! I have the Primo assembled and squared up, tensioned, etc. All that is left is a lead screw (arriving today) and the electronics! I have an old Uno based board I could use with GRBL, but I’d prefer something newer runs Marlin. Thinking either SKR Turbo or mini Rambo. The $$ difference is ~25%, but the question of reliability and support seems to have me doubting saving a few bucks (and getting a bigger screen and wifi).
Here’s some eye candy:

PS. Ignore the mattress… It’s not intended to be sound deadening or anything, it’s just “temporarily” in my build space.

7 Likes

You’re going to wish you had installed the steppers on the trucks before putting them on the pipes. Those little screws are a PITA to get into the stepper when upside down.

I removed 2 of mine after building the machine and felt like a contortionist trying to see where the little screw head was to get the screw driver on it.

I agree… I did just that, but then couldn’t feed the belts through, so I had to remove the motors and the idlers to get the belts in. I’d say thread the belts through and install the motors before you mount them on the rails.

2 Likes

I ran the original stepper motor wires for mine. It was a tight fit but it works

haha yeah I thought about that as I putting things together. Luckily I have some socket head cap screws which should be easier with an allen wrench.

well… that is what the instructions recommend :confused:

1 Like

You’re right! Those “Tips” are important! :grin:

In my defense the steppers ill be using are getting pulled off the 3D printer used to print all of this. Guess I was a bit impatient🤷‍♂️

1 Like