New MPCNC Burly dust collection concept

I’ve got my fancy new Kobalt router (thanks @vicious1!!) set up on on my MPCNC and did some cuts on friday, but my arm got tired holding the vac. I didn’t see any Burly dust collection designs out there I liked, so I started on my own last night. I wanted something that:

• Attaches to the core (not the spindle)
  • Is vertically height adjustable
  • Doesn’t limit travel distance
  • Works with my 2.5" dust collection system
  • As much airflow as possible
  • Ideally spindle independent

Here’s what I came up with. I’d love feedback as I’m sure others have been down this path before.

It’s printing now and I’ll report back once I try it out.

A couple others I looked at:

Next up:

• Test fit on the MPCNC
  • Design the dust boot section (I’m thinking something with a large acrylic window on top so i can still see the cut).
3 Likes

I used the second one you linked for quite a while, you need a boom arm for the hose so it doesn’t pull on the router, besides that it’s brilliant. :smile:

1 Like

Do you have any pics of your boom arm setup? I’m curious to see? I have a vacuum port a couple feet above the mpcnc, so not a ton of clearance

Different CNC, same idea:

1 Like

I like it. I don’t have a burly around anymore to take a look but seems like you accounted for the loss in work space pretty well.

1 Like

Came out pretty well! I forgot to model the top y-axis bearing that extends out a bit near the bolt so I had to cut a slot for that. I used some mounting tape to give it some extra stability

I loose maybe 10-15mm of X travel, but it’s overall nice and compact back there. Seems like a good use of space.

If I print this part again I’ll probably:

• Handle the bearing in the top
  • Move the whole thing down ~1"
  • Move interface to the dust shoe a little further from the spindle (for flexibility on dust shoes for different spindles)

Next up I’ve got to design the dust shoe!

3 Likes

Here’s the dust shoe! Still need to laser-cut the clear acrylic window that will go on top.

I’ve been on the fence about whether to add brush bristles. If I make this adjust a bit lower I think I could just move the rigid dust boot to right above the work surface, which should make the visibility better through the acrylic window. Watching the cut is a big part of the fun!

Does anyone have any thoughts about the tradeoffs between a taller dust boot w/bristles vs a flatter dust boot right above the material w/ no bristles? I suppose I could always split the difference and do short-ish bristles.

1 Like

I am a huge fan of TPU printed brushes. I don’t have any dust from the CNC in the shop at all.

1 Like

Yeah TPU is pretty awesome for brushes. My dust boot on my original DW660 was this one which had TPU brushes: DW660 Magnetic Dust Shoe for MPCNC (525 & Primo editions) by nellson - Thingiverse

I wonder if there’s any flexible, clear, laser-cuttable, material I could make ‘brushes’ out of so that it would be somewhat see-through as well.

1 Like

Seeing is for suckers that don’t trust their CNC. :stuck_out_tongue:

But earnestly: I don’t have a clue, I am sorry. Is there maybe clear TPU?

If you cut mostly flat stuff no bristles are really needed. If you lots of pockets and carves bristles will help.

2 Likes

Is the STL available for this somewhere?
Thanks
Rick

https://www.printables.com/model/899568-mpcnc-burly-dust-boot

It’s definitely a WIP. I’m going to try some cuts with it tonight, and it will probably see at least one iteration after that.