New MK4 is out!

Lol, yeah i use a dehydrator now, thats how i found it was a problem.
I was going to to use the ziplock bags to store them and maybe a plastic tub etc, but I was thinking of the heated dry box for those long prints and keeping the filament i am using dry between prints.

The dehydrator works fine for my uses, but with the upgrade to the MK3.9 i was thinking that i might “up my game a bit” due to having quite high humidity etc. but we will see.

Good luck.

I’ve been using this one to dry filament over night. The new printer has an enclosure and the filament fits inside while printing. The printer warms up pretty good while printing. I should put a humidity monitor in there to see how well it’s working.

Damm that is cheap!
good find. I will start looking at that again when the printer is running after the Prusa3.9 upgrade… in a couple months… sigh.

I’ve been seriously looking at the Eibos Cyclops for almost three times that price (therefore I’ve been seriously looking at it for two years and it hasn’t cost a cent) - I think the difference in performance is down to the Eibos having a proper inlet and outlet setup, so I’m contemplating whether to get a Sovol and have a bit of quality time with my hole saw.
Just to complete the hijack-

I built them myself with IKEA boxes and they work great.

1 Like

Did you use heating and a fan in your fancy schmancy boxes?
I’ve asked that question at the original thread!

I’ve been worrying that the order ID is actually a counter. Looking at the shipping schedules, I’ve been thinking that there’s been tens of thousands of orders before mine. I ordered on the evening of the 12th of april, so I’ve been confused about how they’re going to ship that many printers and still keep to schedule. WELL - stupid me - I just figured out that the order number is actually tied to the precise time of day of your order! SO, I’m not in the first shipping batch that begun on the 12th, but I think some of your guys are! My shipping tier starts next week. Exciting!!

I was an hours too late for the first batch… -_-

Haha, impatience truly is fascinating! Are you going for the new firmware? Or are you waiting for a stable version? I’ve never cared much about pushing the speeds, but it’s really neat with the input shaping. I wouldn’t NOT use faster option in the end.

Absolutely. :joy: I love making the LR go vroom at too fast, time is money with 4 kids. :smiley: Half an hour in the shop? That print better be ready!! :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

4 kids… I really don’t understand how it’s possible this day and age!

Be too stupid to use contraceptives and it’s easy… :sweat_smile:

Can you elaborate on your concerns with the XL?

I’m looking at options for replacing our printer at work and the XL seems like a leading candidate, currently, mostly on the back of build area and the tool-changer approach to filament changes seeming particularly flexible.

1 Like

Sigh! My plans to order in September for an October delivery aren’t looking too flash! :smiley:

Looks like I’m going to have to wait for the LR4 to try it out! :smiley:

It’s a goofy design. You do corexy for speed, but they never print fast because the open frame they went with isn’t stable enough. I also don’t think they’ve got the tool changing worked out yet. They only had a single extruder installed at rmrrf, and it was broken at the last mrrf. Though all my opinions are from seeing the preproduction models at conventions, so who knows, they might have all the kinks worked out by the time they start shipping.

Ok, good to know, thanks. Definitely interesting to have the perspective of someone who has seen one in the flesh, so to speak.
Speed isn’t that much of an issue for us so no drama there. I’m also operating under the assumption that the toolchanger will be working at launch (surely) and will be more reliable than the filament hot-swap systems (hopefully).

The single biggest concern so far is the lack of clarity around enclosure options because having larger print volume matters a whole lot less if the part warps itself into pieces mid-print. Our existing Up Box already does that on some of the more challenging prints.

Sounds like I’ll be holding off until there’s a bit more real-world feedback out there.

I wonder how much the weight of the extra tool changer bits and pieces costs them in terms of speed as well.

Come visit me on your tour through Europe and I am going to print you a part of your choice for the LowRider. :smiley:

Honestly I’d go with a voron if I were to buy a large format printer today. They have some quirks, but they have a pretty good design.

Yeah, I can definitely see the logic there.

Unfortunately, the Voron looks like a much harder sell for a workplace given the time investment in getting it running correctly. I have a RepRap Mendel style printer at home that I built myself from a kit and have tinkered with/modded a bit. At work we have a TierTime Up Box printer, largely because it ‘just works’, despite the ‘works’ part of that being a bit questionable at times.

The other obvious option is the X1 Carbon which a colleague has and seems pretty smitten with. For our purposes, we wouldn’t really be gaining any bed size over what we have now given that we’re still usually limited by the single longest dimension. I’m not super fussed by the speed of our current printer, it’s really having a few more material options and maybe getting away from some reliability issues at the moment.