New LR3 in the Midwest!

I appreciate any and all help! No apologies needed. Rather go over it 2x than miss it.

I definitely think this is part of the issue. I dont know why the core would hit both ways but Ive confirmed some braces are not the right size so those are definitely getting reprinted.

Ive had a war with this. Idk what Im doing wrong. If I tighten it to where there isnt any play it seems way to tight. (maybe it was the right tension and its really a brace issue) If I loosen then I can actually watch the router deflect on a cut. But I think it has to be reprinted either way because of some cracks as best I can tell.

Unless I am totally missing something I have confirmed this isnt the case. Regular USA 3/4 emt. And the 23p4 braces.

1 Like

For printing are you using two/more printers? Have you made a scaled test print and measured the Z-axis (how tall the item is) and/or done other calibration?

I would double check everything before starting the prints again.

Also check how tight you’ve made the bolts on the braces. If those are too tight, they can skew everything. I recall seeing other, similar posts here where that was the issue. You want the nylock nut to be just snugged up against the inside of the brace, not very tight.

2 Likes

When originally printed it was 2 printers. I had calibrated them before hand with several different things. All axis’ as well. But I have since sold those as I had a good offer so I’m using my dads prusa. Ill do some calibration prints before reprinting for sure.

I tried to be pretty careful with this as well. They’re just making contact as best I can tell. Im sure there are a couple that are too tight but it was definitely not an afterthought.

2 Likes

Yeah I would calibrate. Print a part at a time and check measurements as well as check for elephants foot. Once I have a couple that measure correctly go to town.

A few things to check,

• The wrong sized rails were used, check the text on your braces and actually measure your rails’ diameter.
  • The two lower tension bolts on your core are not all the way tight, usually they are almost all the way loose. The core probably rolls real gritty in this case as well
  • Check to see if you split your core in the center overtightening the tool mounts.
  • Last print a tall 100mm+test print and check your Z dimension and you XZ & YZ tilt. Printables, or Printer tests and calibration
1 Like

Guilty of this one… on BOTH of my LR3s LOL

Did both of these and we are good there.

Is importing the .3mf into prusaslicer and using the measuring tool the best way to get valid measurements from CAD to real life?

Are you referring to blue or purple? And are you saying they should be tight or loose?

Thanks!

I believe this is a reference primarily to the ones you have highlighted in blue. If you look carefully at the design, you’ll realize there’s a cupping action there, and the bolts from the bearings that you have marked in blue… span the base of that cupping action. By tightening them, you can squeeze that “cupping” gap more closed. In this way, a LowRider can have variable control over how tightly it grips the EMT tubing.

But usually, the tighter you fasten them the more it is going to rub. Speaking from experience. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Exactly. Just because you can tighten it doesn’t mean you should go to town over tightening it. You want it tightened just enough so that the core grips the tubes enough to be held firmly, but not so tight as that you can feel the core bumping over each brace.

Ok that makes sense. I think the issue I ran into is again, related to the braces. Because loosening those bolts to where they wouldnt rub meant that the core moved around and deflected substantially. Tightening them to where there was very little movement meant they rubbed the braces. But as I said, after measuring them I definitely think it was a brace issue.

I would check this first.

I stand corrected. What is the tube to tube distance for your Beam, I can double check against mine.

1 Like

Assuming I am measuring what you are asking it is 139mm.

Directly across my screws I have 139.3mm. If anything, I am thinking your core is the issue.

My core is 178.6 the height it prints.

1 Like

Do you have all 8 bearings in? I think we have seen a core with only 6 of the 8 required bearings.

I think I am going to reprint it as well. Hate to waste all that filament but oh well. Ive replaced almost all the braces and the core is still rubbing. I’ve measured the braces at multiple points and it matches the .3mf.

Brand new brace and the grey is new rubbing. (worse in person and I played with the core tension for like an hour.)

Yeah, I do have all 8 in.

So have you done any tests on your printer cal cube or anything? I would hate for you to reprint another core and have it not work.

No hate, just helping get info further down the thread as I’m sure others will have similar questions

1 Like