New Jackpot board tripping GFCI

Updated my old mini-rambo board to the new jackpot board. I can get get a little bit of movement out of the machine and then the GFCI will trip. I have had zero issues with this GFCI. I can run my shopvac on it without any problem.

Some details about my setup:

1. Using 12v 3D printer power supply. (That I bought from Ryan years ago. It was working fine with mini-rambo). I noticed most people are using 24V, but this power supply should have plenty of power.
  2. X and Y are wired in Series. Only using XYZ. Any downside to this? Trying to avoid having to re-wire everything.

Anyone experience something similar?

Next step is to try a different circuit in the garage, but want to make sure I am not doing something I shouldn’t be first.

1 Like

This is a new one for me. @vicious1 do you have any ideas? My first thought would be power supply but you said it was working fine before the board swap. Double check you didn’t have any frayed wires where they hook to the jackpot power. Also don’t overtighten the terminals for the power in, I speak from experience with that LOL

1 Like

New circuit works fine. Will swap out the GFCI and hopefully that solves the problem. Definitely getting feedback from the motors to the circuit, because as soon as I plug in the motors, the GFCI starts humming. Will double check my grounds as well.

1 Like

If memory serves there was a batch of boards go out with some soldering issues. It doesnt take much stray electricity to ground to trip a gfci.

Plug in 1 motor at a time and see if its a single connection problem or an entire board problem.

1 Like

I agree with this part.
There was a batch that had some stepper driver header issues. I test them all, so on my end it has at least had all the drivers in and been powered by the wall and the usb. So this seems unlikely but if you test one driver at a time it might point to a funky header sending some pulses to ground.

That is fine, but there is speed to be gained going to 24V.

This one you really really really should change, you will more than double your machines power. Giving each stepper not only allows it to be stronger and faster it allows you to do dual endstop homing. Both of these are really nice things to have.

1 Like

Why would anything on the 12V side trip the GFCI on the 120VAC side? Sounds like an issue with the power supply or the power supply wiring. Can you post a pic of your wiring? Especially the power supply?

Good point, is should not be able to get through the transformer…and the ground on most of those is not even hooked up.

Ended up swapping out the power supply. The new one is working fine. It is only two prong, so can’t really test it. I could test if the old supply was the problem if I could attach a load to the power supply. Not really sure what that would be though. Need to find an old DC motor.

I did try different axis connected and z-axis was the quietest, x and y were louder, and loudest when everything was connected.

1 Like

FWIW, that is pretty abnormal. It has to be something with the power supply. Are you sure you have the power supply AC side wired correctly? You didn’t swap the neutral and ground, did you?