New build in Central VA

It broke :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

It seems I shouldn’t pull parts off of the printer before getting some caffeine. The bed adhesion was excellent and I pulled hard (yes I know better).

So 8+ hours of printing wasted. But that’s life.

1 Like

If you where able to pull it apart like that I would say it was probably a weak layer anyway.

Yea
I think I didn’t double check temps
It seems I was a bit low.
I’m not sure how the Cura setting got lower but it wasn’t right.

I guess better to fail now then in use!
I really don’t like this filament but I’m going to use it up. I’ll probably use the rest for things that don’t require the ability to withstand much force.

1 Like

Spent the day running errands, and lunch with a friend while the part reprinted. I raised the temp and it looked much better. So the last part before the core is being printed.

I should get my black PLA+ tomorrow so I’ll start printing the core once it comes. That will be my longest print at about 1 Day 19 hours and 25!

Sooooooooooo it’ll be interesting to see how that goes!

All parts except the core are now printed!

I know the labels don’t show well but each part is “bagged and tagged” so I know what’s what.

Printing of the core will start once the black PLA+ arrives (hopefully today)

1 Like

@Atom I just went through your build thread again to look at your table. Do you recall how much material it took to make? I’m thinking of “stealing” some of your ideas for my table.

About 10 2x4x8’ and 1 4x8 sheet of .75" ply… I used 2x4s because I could get them for free. You could definitely get away with somthing smaller and lighter. Especially for the table top. I do have a schematic with dimensions if you want it.

Sure anything would help and all is appreciated!

All of my workbenches are made from 2x4’s. They used to be cheap. But lately the prices are insane. At Lowes they’re up to almost $6.50. Prepandemic they were $2 each.

Yeah I know! The price of wood in general has gotten crazy high. Luckily I know people doing renovations and trucking so I can get at least a couple each month for free. Like I said the whole design should work just as well with 1x2s if you can find them cheaper then 2x4s. I dew the whole thing in f360 I will post the files after work and you can play with them. I look forward to seeing what you come up with :slight_smile:

1 Like

Wow this saga never ends with the black filament.

If I didn’t know better, I’d think someone is trying to tell me something.

First I go out to get the mail today and there is a ticket in my mailbox that my package wasn’t delivered because I wasn’t home. As I work from home and didn’t leave the house this is BS. So I go over to the post office. Thankfully it’s not far away. In fact, it’s only about a mile or so “down the road a piece”.

I get there and the nice lady says that it was never put on the truck with a look on her face. So we chat and it seems that the driver didn’t want to load it. But whatever, she finds my package and I get home. GREAT. Black filament finally!

Well I open the package and 2.85 instead of 1.75 that I need. WTF?
hmm no. not again.
I call the vendor and we chat and they say I ordered the wrong size. Hmmmm. I’m not so sure as I was extra careful, but the order email they sent me says 2.85. So we chat and they authorize an RMA and say they’ll ship out 1.75 and just send the 2.85 back.

OK.

Anyway it’ll be a few more days until I get some filament in black to print the core.

In the mean time I’m printing:

I"m not sure why except, why not. I have a metal chop saw, and other tools but think this might be a good way to cut the EMT. Plus it’ll keep me busy for a bit while I wait for the right filament.

As for other oder. I priced up the controller, the steppers and such and decided that while I could save a few $ piecing them together, it just makes sense to oder the steppers, controller, and a bunch stuff from @vicious1 here. So I’m going to wait to next week when I get paid then place an order for the rest of the things that I need (except for the lumber to make the table and bench).

2 Likes

Here is the grinder chop saw parts. The clamp is printing right now.

I think they came out pretty well. Red wasn’t my first choice but it’s what’s in the printer and I don’t have any black yet (see saga above :frowning: )

So I think the black filament saga may be over. Well one minor addition. I ran up the street today to look at a tractor we’re thinking of buying. Well the mail came while I was gone. No filament, not notice in the box.

Remembering last week, I figured our postal delivery person was too lazy to deliver my box. Well I was right. I shouldn’t have had to go to the post office to get it, but it is what it is. Anyway, I went there and nicely asked if my box was there. I got a big yes. This wasn’t the kind lady from last week but she was pretty nice too. And it appeared she got that we have a lazy delivery person.

Anyway, I’m finishing up a print for a friend, then will do a test print of this filament, if it goes well then I’ll start the core print. I’m a bit nervous as it’ll be my longest print. But gotta do it sometime!

Wish me luck.
I started the Core print and it’s the longest I’ve ever attempted at over 37 hours!

I did do a small test print of the black filament and it was fine. So I hope this will go well too.

edit: so far 43% in

Edit 2 3:45 3-12-21: 60% done

4 Likes

See, that’s why I printed a Prusa sign, benchy and then the core after getting my printer. Just to get it over with. :smiley:

1 Like

Nothing much to report. I’ve had work and family stuff going on. So this project will slow down for a bit until I build the bench and order the parts from @vicious1.

My priority right now is to get my Harley back on the road. It’s been sitting a few years due to some personal stuff. So getting out and riding is a top priority.

After that, I’ll be building the workbench for the MPCNC and ordering the parts. While I wait for parts I expect to put the MPCNC together minus the motors and wiring. Then do the wiring once the motor and parts come in.

It’s a bit frustrating as I have the box of parts and the box of hardware sitting behind me desk here (and I work from home).

I tried that plan, didn’t work real well, you can get all the bearings in and feet in place. But you can’t even get the outside rails securely mounted until after you put the trucks on them and you can’t put the trucks on until the motors are on the trucks. And of course you need to have trucks put on before the gantry rails and core…
In the end I worked on it for about 4 hours then I had to wait for my motors.

In other words motors and hardware will limit how for you can get it assembled. Wiring can be done after though.

2 Likes

@Atom I was afraid of that.
I guess I will see how the budget goes the next few weeks.
But it sounds like I’ll need to order my parts soon to keep making progress!

1 Like

Well nothing much to report this week.

I did order a package of Dupont connectors. I still need a decent crimp tool. (I hate the one I have).

Otherwise still saving up my pennies to place my order. Hopefully the penny jar will have what I need in a week or two.

The dupont crimpers are all kind of terrible. I made a video on how I do it, and there were a lot of tips in the thread:

Of course, I am sure the legit ones work great, and cost $1000.

1 Like

@jeffeb3 there is no way I’m spending $1000 on a tool I use a few times a month. If I were running my IT company and we were using them every day and had paying customers relying on the crimps then I’d get a pair. But the reality is I need the crimps to be good enough to be reliable and work when the MPCNC is used. So I’ll check out your video and order a pair of the ones you link to when I get a few more pennies saved :wink: