New build in Central VA

Grrr
And another step back
I received my filament but the package was open and it was the wrong size. Worse it had stickers on it like it was a return. And no silica in it.

MicroCenter is giving me a credit, and doing an RMA to send it back. So that’s good. But it’s annoying none the less.

So Black prints delayed :cold_sweat::cold_sweat::cold_sweat:

So with all the problems I’ve had with Black filament I decided to go with Red for the B parts. Although I think I’ll go with Black for the Core.

I’m not thrilled with the Red Inland PLA filament. I like the PLA+ a lot better. But it’s ok. So started printing the B parts today in Red.

Also part of my Bolt Depot order came in. And I’ll post update pics when I get the rest.

I’m starting to think of how to build the table for this, and the spoil board. So comments, suggestions, etc are most welcome.

And…

I want a 24" x 24" work area. so do I put that in the app to figure out the pipe size.

And how tall should I make the legs? My initial thought was 6" but for rigidity I’ve seen less, but haven’t seen a recommended length. (excuse me if I’ve missed it). So any suggestions? 4"?

hey Tom, Im still learning too so dont quote my numbers. But if you put your wanted workspace size in the calculator, the pipe length should calculate automatically below for you.
As far as the Z height I have heard that Ryan recommends 81mm or 3.25 inches, 4" can be considered tall and starts to affect rigidity. I am doing a Z height of 3.5".
Because a height of 3.5" isnt much room, I am going to make the top of my spoil board flush with the bottom of the feet so I dont loose any Z travel.
Again, I am still learning so take what I say with a grain of salt. :wink:

1 Like

I used Ryan’s default of 81mm of Z travel in the calculator and built a manual drop table to put thicker material on the work bed… a more rigid machine makes better cuts.

2 Likes

Thank you both. I should mention at some point I’ll be moving so I’ll need consider getting it through a doorway.

I would design your table with the move in mind.
The drop table on mine is held in place with 4 bolts.
The CNC machine top with the conduit is harder to take apart without resetting and squaring it all up again.

1 Like

Tom, with the Inland filament, what issues are you experiencing? I’ve been using Inland standard PLA for about a year and I’ve never really had big problems with it. I printed all of my Primo parts with the red and black actually. I did notice you have to print at the mid to higher end of the recommended heat range otherwise you get bed and layer adhesion problems. Just wondering.

1 Like

@Strider_Matic I like their PLA+ more. And yes I’m seeing their PLA needs higher heat.

Ahh, ok. Yeah, I guess for $2 more/spool it’s definitely worth it if you’re getting better results. I’ve only used their PLA+ once for a project for a friend (he bought the spool) and liked the results. I’ve also noticed that some of their colors come as a more translucent look instead of a nice opaque material. Most notably the yellow and green.

The Blue PLA+ really popped.it was bright and striking.
The red PLA. isn’t as bright IMHO.it’s still decent but the settings seem to be a bit different.

I guess I just like the PLA+ better and for a few $ it seems worth it to me.

1 Like

If you want a full 24x24 work area go a bit larger in the calculator (like 25x25") this is so you have room for your endstops and tool size without it eating into your work area.
For height I wouldn’t go taller than 4" and would recommend the default of 3.25". Keep in mind most bits are only going to let you cut an inch at most. So unless you plan on engraving think materials you don’t need much height.

For the table, consider looking at my build thread(for a 24x24" work area machine). I posted plans for a 2x4 table that comes apart into 4’x4’ sections without having to disassemble the mpcnc itself. I designed it so I could move it in and out of my basement (Michigan winters get cold and my garage has no heat). And the whole thing will fit in my Honda fit. Also there is still room on the table for an enclosure (that I plan to build).

1 Like

Thanks. I ran the calculations and printed them. I’ll go with the recommended height for now. I figure at some point I can always change and modify if I decide it’s necessary. Until then I’ll just go with the suggested height.

Almost done printing. I have a Corner Leg Lock printing now then one more to do when I get back from running some errands.

Then it’s the Corner Bottom Mirrored, and the Core and I’m done with the prints.

My hardware came in. So that’s a big deal.

This weekend will be about printing the Corner Bottom Mirroreds. And planning the table.

Otherwise nothing exciting to report!

I’m now on the last part besides the core.
One of the Corner Bottom Mirrored is printing. The other will be printed tomorrow. Then hopefully I can start the core on Monday to finish the printing!

I’m still thinking about the table and how I want to design/build it. I’m also thinking about what to order next.

I’m also thinking about the best way to cut the EMT pipe straight with the tools that I have.

It broke :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

It seems I shouldn’t pull parts off of the printer before getting some caffeine. The bed adhesion was excellent and I pulled hard (yes I know better).

So 8+ hours of printing wasted. But that’s life.

1 Like

If you where able to pull it apart like that I would say it was probably a weak layer anyway.

Yea
I think I didn’t double check temps
It seems I was a bit low.
I’m not sure how the Cura setting got lower but it wasn’t right.

I guess better to fail now then in use!
I really don’t like this filament but I’m going to use it up. I’ll probably use the rest for things that don’t require the ability to withstand much force.

1 Like

Spent the day running errands, and lunch with a friend while the part reprinted. I raised the temp and it looked much better. So the last part before the core is being printed.

I should get my black PLA+ tomorrow so I’ll start printing the core once it comes. That will be my longest print at about 1 Day 19 hours and 25!

Sooooooooooo it’ll be interesting to see how that goes!

All parts except the core are now printed!

I know the labels don’t show well but each part is “bagged and tagged” so I know what’s what.

Printing of the core will start once the black PLA+ arrives (hopefully today)

1 Like

@Atom I just went through your build thread again to look at your table. Do you recall how much material it took to make? I’m thinking of “stealing” some of your ideas for my table.

About 10 2x4x8’ and 1 4x8 sheet of .75" ply… I used 2x4s because I could get them for free. You could definitely get away with somthing smaller and lighter. Especially for the table top. I do have a schematic with dimensions if you want it.