New 2 CNC start* LR3 build

9/10/22 started printing my parts. I am new to CNC and trying not to get overwhelmed and figure it out as I go. On the print sheet it shows rectilinear infill, I am using Cura 5.0 and can not find that infill pattern so I used lines hoping that is right. Should I have used another infill pattern?? Printing on an Ender 3 V2 with inland PLA+ going for a red white and blue theme. Good news is all the ordered kit and parts are here!!

3 Likes

Yup lines or cubic will work.

1 Like

Welcome to the crew!

2 Likes

Looks like that’s the correct one:

Lines

Quick 2D infill

The Lines infill pattern is a fast-printing pattern that uses minimal material. It is suited to visual prints like decorative models.

Sometimes known as rectilinear infill, this pattern prints unidirectional lines on each layer, changing direction 90 degrees for the subsequent layer. This makes a kind of disconnected grid in which layers one, three, five, etc. have lines along one axis, while layers two, four, six, etc. have lines along the perpendicular axis.

From this article: Cura infill patterns: What they are and when to use them

EDIT: Ryan beat me to it…

2 Likes

Thanks Ryan for the ease of mind

1 Like

Thanks Jeff for putting my mind at ease I tend to overthink things and that has drove me crazy for two days actually why I have not started printing until today. Still will be nervous throughout the prints.

1 Like

I absolutely know what you mean. I just started printing my LR3 parts today as well.
I have 1 hour left on my Core print. I’ll post a picture in my build thread soon.

I did a ton of small test prints and finally bit the bullet and hit print on the Core.

2 Likes

I have printing for a year this coming December and so far so good. Couple small learning curves belts too tight not enough time on the bed level etc… but here I go. I saw Ryans comment on not using PLA+ on another thread (great) and now I have ordered regular PLA pick it up tomorrow for the remaining parts after the core.

How do i find your thread I would like to follow along? New to forums and such I have read alot of them but not actually participated.

2 Likes

Here’s my brand new thread: Starting my first CNC - The LR3

I’ve only been 3d printing for a little over a month. I bought a Prusa MK3S+ kit, it’s my first 3d printer.

3 Likes

Many of us here use Prusa Slicer, and we use those terms, but there’s nothing wrong with Cura.

Welcome to the madness, it’s really not as complex as it might seem. Just keep at it, and you’ll do fine.

1 Like

Hi Dan! It’s really cool that there are two fantastic open source projects both driving the tech forward. Some of the best new features of PrusaSlicer came directly from Cura 5.0

I’ve learned a lot from this community in the short few months I’ve been reading everything here.

1 Like

Core finished on first try. 13hrs 10 min, .28 layer height, 35% infill, not super smooth but I sacrificed a little pretty for speed. I think it seems okay and strong should be functional.

7 Likes

Another day of printing completed. Outer braces at 50% infill and .20 layer height took 5hrs 44min each, Z drives 35% infill .28 layer eight took 5hrs 21 min. Moving on!!

4 Likes

Well I can not believe it has been a year since I started this but finally back at it. I started assembly this week and have a couple questions Yes i looked through the forums but not really finding the answers so maybe someone can help me out or just tell me to quit over thinking and see what happens.
A. I see a new jackpot board has been introduced since I have not got to the electronics yet should I get one now and if so do I still need the TFT 35 board which is still brand new in the box.
B. The end switches do not really say what screws to use, I tried using the small wood screws and have broken a switch somewhat exploded it.
But at least assembly is turning out to be fun and a needed change. Starting to get excited about seeing it work.

The TFT35 does not really work with the Jackpot, and isn’t really needed for it. The Jackpot has a web UI over wifi. Use your phone (or even better, an old phone) and a browser instead.

The limit switches use M2.5 screws. I think mine were 12mm length? Might have been 10…

1 Like

Thanks, The control board is what has scared me the most about building this. I do not know a whole lot about it at all! I have an old android tablet that I have held on to just for my CNC. How does the phone or tablet communicate with the TFT?
I have a small bag with screws that look like what you are talking about they were in my TFT box I assumed they were for mounting all of the board and such but they might be for the switches.

1 Like

Welcome to the club!

Fortunately for people like you and me, this place is full of people who are not only knowledgeable and patient, but they’ll go out of their way to make sure you’re sorted if you have a problem!

1 Like

If you used the Jackpot you wouldn’t use use the TFT but a tablet.
If you used the SKR, you’d use the TFT but not the tablet.

1 Like

Wifi. The board has a wifi SSID that you connect to. It can be configured to connect to whatever you use at home, but some people run into problems with that, so probably easiest to run it at default.

assembly begins

1 Like