Need new drill ! help

Hey guys, so i got my funding for that makita drill.
is there anyway to get a mount done ? i can 3D scan the drill if it helps, or pay a bit to someone who can design it.
or is there a way to mount without a 3D printed part ?
at the moment my 2 metal pipes on the Z axis have 1 scre hole each

SO! I just realized right near my house i have a crazy metal workshop that makes all kind of metal and aluminium parts with their own cnc machines.
so i can probably get them to make me a custom made aluminium mount for my makita.

But my other question is, currently the 2 pipes on my z axis have have one screw hole each, what is the easiest way to add another hole to them ? im just assuming that with 4 holes it will hold much better (plate with 4 holes with mount welded onto it is my idea for now)

any thoughts ?
im adding some examples for my general idea

what do you think ?

s-l300-1.jpg

Do you have the new 525 style? When did you make the machine? The current version has a big tool mount for the z axis, with plenty of mounting holes. That current mount is way undersized.

Hey Kevin, the machine was made around 8 month ago, I will make better photos of the overall machine and the zaxis closeup once I’m in my studio, hoping to find a way soon to mount the makita and cnc at more then 0.2mm per pass :smiley:

My idea is to take off that existing mount and just make a complete new one attached directly to the z axis pipe, machine is not near me so maybe I’m being over positive with the simplicity of making it.

Comparison of both middle assemblies. Ignore the rollers, both are the older style. The right picture is the new one, as you can see it has the big tool mount that is far superior. If you do have cnc machines near by, you can probably whip up a quick mount. It cant be that sophisticated though like our 3d printed ones, unless you want to spend a fortune. I guarantee with the new router setup, you will be doing much more than .2mm :slight_smile:

450px-Mid5.jpg

Probably a crime I’m even putting such mcgiver solution between all you handy people, but will this work as a temporary solution in your opinion?

[youtube]{https://youtu.be/mmIIi_3q_Ok}[/youtube]

Thats what I call a “ghetto solution” It should hold strong enough, but for long term use I would go with a proper mount system. That is also a little hard to square up, but you can add washers like the video describes.

Those are some good tips for manually attaching the router. They involve a lot of craftsmanship though. After you mount all of that to a board, you’d need to mount securely to the z pipes, without interfering with the z screw.

After all that’s done, you need to make sure it’s strong, secure, not going to loosen, and perpendicular to the spoil board. Otherwise, you’ll be severely limited in depth.

hey again guys ! so i got the makita, wich makes the old motor look like a sad duck next to it, used it manutally a bit and it cuts like knife through butter.

I also spoke to the aluminum cnc guys next door and they are happy to help me make the piece, now all i need is an stl file, i figured out from the existing mount, that as long as the back of the mount is similar i should be free from hitting any bolts or screws going up and down the z axis, the makita seems to fit well when its ±3cm away from the z pipes
im adding some extra photos, if you guys have any good ideas please share :smiley:

O

Are your Z axis motor mounts plywood???

It looks like you have the 525 version (which is the latest). It also looks like you’re missing the tool mount. There are three sizes, based on the OD of the tubes:

If you measure the tube outside diameter, then you can find the right [CFJ]-ToolMount.stl file. That won’t mount the router, it will just give you a place to add a mount for the router. Using the tool mount will give you more access to a lot of standard parts and let others mount your same router.

This part:

Has some basic CAD dimensions you will need to design the mount for your router. They might also be useful for a talented machinist. I’m not a metalworker, but I’m guessing 3D printed is going to be way better for these parts than making them from aluminum. Mostly because the aluminum ones would be crazy expensive. It would be way cheaper to buy a nice bottle of wine for a friend with a 3D printer.

There are a ton of mounts on thingiverse, if you search “MPCNC mount”. You just need to make sure they are for the 525 version, because the previous version had a different distance between the pipes.

You could try to toy around with this thing, which would let you make a few rings to mount your router:

Here are some more I found that might be close:

Here are some other mounts you might be interested in:

On a side note, I bet you this is the mount for your previous motor: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:978677

The lower Z mount should be supporting the coupler to take away any unnecessary strain. The mount you have in you hand looks like it might be one of the old ones that does not fit the new style. Are you sure there is not a mount for your tool on thingiverse? Or one that will fit. I am pretty sure all the common tool shave a mount in the 525 because it fits all three versions so even european tools have mounts.

What is the diameter of your new tool, did you buy the makita or are you still thinking about it?

If you haven’t bought it yet you might just want to get one that has a mount already.

hey Ryan !
I already got the makita, tomorrow ill measure the diamater of my z pipes and different parts of my makita so we can see what works best :smiley:

I also foudn a company close by with 3d printers so im open to aluminum or plastic print whatever will work best

Hey guys! So z pipes are 25mm in diameter.
And the makita is around 57mm-58mm in diameter on the part id like to clamp.

Do I guess the 2 parts I need are a general tool mount plate, and a specific mount to go on it that will hold the makita.
The holes I have on the x pipes are 3.5cm away from each other by height, so 4 holes in total on z pipe to catch the mount, I’m adding a photo

There is a 25.0 version and a 25.4mm version. This is the 25.0mm version:

The generic mount is under files and it’s F-ToolMount.stl. you might need some new holes, but then everything should fit.

This part can be adjusted to your 57-58mm. I think you’ll be fine printing one for under that lip and another for lower down. Might as well print a third, so you can fix it at midnight some other day.

Print everything with 55% infill and three outer layers. When you’re installing screws, be gentle with the plastic. You’ll be cutting again in no time.

1 Like

Hey Jeff !
thanks again for all the help,

at the moment i used the parts you gave me, and i cut the tool mount plate in half, so it fits in my existing holes, it gives me 6cm between the 2 clamps wich sounds reasonable to me.

im adding a photo, does it make any sense ? i also can reconect the 2 plate pieces so it becomes again one plate but still with the correct distance for my existing z pipe holes.

I think you’re too hung up on the location of those holes. It’s not big deal to drill some new holes, then you’ll have a standard mounting location.

I would print the existing tool mount as is, and print a few of those other parts separate.

If you really want to leave the holes alone, because of some of the other things you’ve made, or something, then what you have described looks like it will work.

Also, you definitely don’t want to print those together as one part. It won’t print very well.

thanks again,
ill see about getting new holes done ! and otherwise im at this for now, will go for plastic for now and leave aluminum for later on when my machine makes me earn millions :smiley:

so the print settings you mention before is what i should ask the 3d printing guy ?

Yep. They should know what I’m talking about.

Looking at those rings, how do you get the screws in there to attach them to the mount?