Neat!

Starting to see ads for the AltMill. This looks pretty cool.

$3,465 with the spindle

1 Like

Pretty similar design to the LowRider. At least it reminds me of it

Looks fast. Single piece ball screws and linear rails? For linear rails at least, could several shorter sections be accurately butt/scarf jointed together?

I like how LR3 is most rigid when low, shame this AltMill didn’t adopt that design feature.

The thing is that with the material they are using it is not really important to be the most ridig when low, because it will always be more rigid than the LowRider. The axis not being able to twist in Y is the main selling point here and something I’d love to get rid of.
As you know I considered steel beams, there is also a reinforced beam by another company. TheAltmill is also using an aluminium beam:

The two front faces are machined to be completely plane, they are using those captured rails that we discussed in another thread before for the Z-carriage.

This is cool though.

2 Likes

Plus shipping ~$200. Very solid machine with very minimal assembly, I think he was just telling me it was mostly assembled. They have been working hard on a few different software packages as well.

I have not really looked at that price range machine in a while I think there are a few options now.

I think we have the MPCNC, LR, Maslow at the sub $900 price.
Then you have altmill and onefinity in the sub $4k range.
Above that you get into the big boys.

The CNC field is getting well-defined.

8 Likes

I’ve finally made it through this thread and am “up to date” and looking forward to the new Neato stuff! Had I been here a week ago or so I would have chimed in with talk of those foam cement builders. If I lived on an acreage I’m sure I would have given that a go by now and would be surfing the forum from some cementaceaous grotto of sorts in my back 40…

3 Likes

Well, have I got the topic for you!

5 Likes

Ha! Already devoured that one. The Neat! topic took a while because it intimidated me - being over 500 posts long I mean. But to finish very near the 3d printing cement topic left me jumping over to YouTube to watch the 2" foam snakes again…

1 Like

Hey, I virtually, indirectly, sorta a little bit know that guy @stevempotter .

7 Likes

Thanks, @jamiek Jamie, for tying my maker life and research life together!
It is not every day I get this much attention!

9 Likes
2 Likes

Gameboy for a backpack strap. Buuuut with the cool colour changing filament. So I can actually press the buttons. Yes, childish, but yes, neat! :stuck_out_tongue:

I improved on it by adding a glow in the dark screen. :yum:

13 Likes

Oh heck yeah, that is cool.

1 Like
6 Likes

Has anyone done this?? I’m thinking about trying this! Looks Awesome!

5 Likes

It Works!!

14 Likes

DANG!!! That is awesome.

5 Likes

now wait! You redid a printer to do sublimation???

That did not look fun at all! The ink change looked like it could get very messy!

Bought a new printer and converted it over. Wasn’t messy at all. Fairly easy.

6 Likes

man, that really is nice and changes things radically! Kudos!

2 Likes