NE Ireland terrain with resin sea

Here is satellite imagery of Northeast Ireland translated into birch plywood with my portable MPCNC Primo. At right are the Mourne Mountains of Northern Ireland, and below them, the Cooley Peninsula near Dundalk. This one took a number of tries due to Z skips problem (mentioned elsewhere

), but I finally finished my first carving that features a resin pour. The pour went well. It was crucial to have a 10ml syringe and a dropper on hand for filling the smaller water features. Next time I may try to also carve out the many lakes and fill them too. We live in that rural bumpy light coloured region at left. The bumps are hills called drumlins, made by glaciers in the last ice age. They are mostly cattle and sheep pastures, as you can see in the lovely view from our house, below.

Google Photos

Google Photos

12 Likes

That came out sooooo good. The layers are just ideal.

2 Likes

The relief is beautiful, but nothing beats that view.
The red in the relief, is that epoxy as well? Or a layer in the wood?

1 Like

I believe it is the glue layer in the plywood, or maybe a custom lamination??

This birch plywood uses some reddish glue in its manufacturing process. I love how it accentuates the contour lines.

Beautiful work and scenery! My wife and I will be visiting The Republic for a few weeks coming up. We plan on being in Drogheda(edit: sorry, Trim) for the Puca Festival. So if you are down that way, and see headlights coming at you on the motorway, that’ll probably be me!:rofl: Maybe we could raise a few pints?

2 Likes