I’m having issues with my gantry pipes rotating in the trucks.
For most this probably isn’t a big deal, but if mine rotate too far, then my core is loose on the rails. (pipes are only round-ish).
I’ve screwed the locks in about as tight as I dare to go for plastic. Anyone have any ideas for what else I could do to keep them from rotating? I’m thinking about adding some electrical tape to the tubes where the locks clamp down on them.
Can you post a couple pictures? Have you measured the OD of your pipes? Are the pipes clean? Are you able to rotate the pipes by hand? Are there any anomalies on the printed parts that might be preventing full engagement of the pipes by the trucks?
If nothing major is amiss I think adding a little bit of shim/gasket/etc. sounds the pipe is worth a try. I would avoid electrical tape because the adhesive is no fun to remove.
Seems to me the gantry rails shouldnt be getting that much torque. The core might twist them slightly unless the bearings are perfectly parallel to the axis, but even then the bearings should slip before the truck locks, unless the core bearings are super super tight.
If you loosen both truck locks can you twist the gantry rail?
Are they super polished? I had some pretty shiny stainless in mine (which I had to relocate) but it still took some decent force to twist it.
Your truck clamps haven’t bottomed out, right? You just stopped tightening to avoid breaking them?
It looks like the clamps are bottomed out on the trucks.
I did put furniture wax on the pipes to keep them from rusting. I’m wondering if that’s causing some of it. I’m going to try the electrical tape route and wrap a layer around the tubes just where the clamp goes.
I’m not having that issue. Where the oval is at the maximum is where the core is the tightest and where I want it to be. When it rotates away from that is where the core can wiggle.
I’m guessing since it’s rotating from tight to loose then the clamps on the trucks are slightly loosening even more as it rotates.
It could just be that the crap blue filament isn’t dimensionally accurate even though all my measurements test out correct. It could also be that whatever makes the blue filament slightly glossy is also making it slippery.
Tape would probably work but you might want to do all 4 trucks to keep things in Z-ness, or if the clamps are bottoming out, i’d think you could add a thin shim to top of the truck clamp to gain a little more clamp-age.
They’re the right size. I measured them in another thread. When I say they’re ‘out of round’ I’m referring to a .2mm difference in one axis vs the other. Shouldn’t be enough to cause major issues, but apparently my build is special.