MP3DP V4 Build

As far as I remember I’m using the same 84oz motors on all of mine but i guess i need to double check that. What did you do to correct it?

One thing I find crazy is both of them skipped steps on the exact same layer

Here is the gcode for both prints if anyone things they can see anything that may have caused it…

XZ 100mm Squareness Test.gcode (527.9 KB)
YZ 100mm Squareness Test.gcode (522.2 KB)
SuperSlicer_config_bundle.zip (4.0 KB)

It’s modern art! :smiley:

Expensive ugly “Art”

Anyone have any ideas on this skipped steps stuff? Seems so very odd to me that 2 prints did it in exactly the same spot. They were not printed in the same orientation. Why print the entire way up and then when you get to the last 2 layers it skips. If they had skipped steps in different t places I would for sure think mechanical/hardware. But for these both to do it in the exact same spot really is odd to me. Also there was no cool down time in between. As soon as the first one was done I started the second one

That is strange, is there a chance that your umbilical is sagging and snagging?

Just uploaded “aza-ptfe-guide-110mm.v4.stl” for the PTFE Guide, earlier version was 60mm radius, new one being 110mm radius helps suspend Umbilical higher off the rails.

Ideally, the aza-ptfe-guide-mount-v4.stl (that attaches to extrusion and Sensor) should also be updated to have a recess/well for the 90 degree bend to seat inside of.

Recent discussions, and previous ones (e.g. fans-on-stepper-motors and taller-lr3-build/…/81) about keeping steppers cool influenced me into trying out some cheap Alu 40mm x 40mm heatsinks. Hopefully the Temp stickers will reveal IF/What difference those make, am not wanting to put additional fans on the steppers if possible.

I haven’t printed as much on the MP3DP as you, so am looking to you for guidance/ideas from your posts. Appreciate you sharing your experience and observations. Cheers!

Thanks Aaron. I wound up having to ditch the mount/ptfe guide. I just have too many wires coming up though there. That’s what pushed me to look into the CAN bus. These damn wires are a mess. But I do need to come up with something. I don’t have a full enclosure like you do and don’t ever plan to go that route (as of now anyways LOL) so I’m going to try to come up with something similar to yours that mounts to the top of the 2020 extrusion. That should keep it up even more. Actually tomorrow I’m planning to laser cut some shelf brackets to mount a shelf above the row of printers and store my filament in the food safe “dry boxes” and feed filament from above so Ill have to see how that works out and what I need to do so all of that meets up smoothly.

I’m about to start a print and I have turned the speed WAY down. We will see how it looks in the morning. as you can see from the thermal images I posted my motors aren’t getting hot. Its the drivers that are getting hot. Makes no sense to me. The ones on the LR3s in garage at 90° do just fine. But these are in a semi enclosure right next to a 1/4" thick headed bed so that probably doesn’t help anything. I mounted a single 40mm fan on top blowing down. Probably should put that blowing up, or multiple blowing from the side. Actually I can rob the 2 from the old SKR case from the LR3 since those aren’t needed anymore going jackpot, until those get too hot and I have to figure out how to put fans on it LOL.

I will report back in the morning how the print goes. Will either be good or another waste of filament…we shall see. Hoping that slowing it down will help.

It is VERY odd. Looking at your pictures, those were printed in different orientations, and the skipped steps shift the layer in different directions in the printer.

This could be mechanical as @azab2c notes, or I think more likely there is some kind of slicing error going on. How many top layers do you have in your slicer setup? Does it happen to be 2?

I’ll take a look at your config bundle later if I get a chance.

1 Like

It was set at 2 for this print… That’s what seemed so odd to me. Thanks for taking a look when you have a chance!

I think superslicer is overextruding your two top layers, causing print failure. I thought that looking at your pictures as the layers look significantly overextruded.

I did a bit of searching. You may be running into the issue shown below. Crank down the flow on your top layers.

2 Likes

Finally got a good print off of it! I slowed the acceleration way down. That made a huge difference in the jerky and it’s no longer skipping steps. Well not for this print anyways lol. Hopefully a lot more to come

Ok now for the actual print. I printed @vicious1 xzyz test and took measurements with my calipers. Time to invest in a larger pair lol. I was at the max for these. Anyways take a look a the numbers for me and tell me if it’s off enough to worry about and if so what steps should I take to fix it. The frame is as square as I can get it with a metric tape measure. So I’m not 100% sure what to mess with next or if I even need to. Relying on you much more experienced guys to let me know. Thank you!!!

If you can’t get the machine any more square, then maybe check to see if Klipper has Skew Compensation. (I know nothing about Klipper)

Marlin has it. I used that on my Ender 3 to get everything squared up before printing my LR3 parts.

Edit: Google always knows… Skew Correction

I know somewhere Ryan said there was some amount that was “good enough”, but I guess that depends on what you intend to print.

My printer was close enough without the skew correction, but I decided to do it anyway, because why not? Figured I might as well make it as good as I could, whether it was necessary or not

I’m running marlin so I will look into that. I just didn’t know if what I had was enough to worry about

Ah, well if you have Marlin, you may have to recompile the firmware to enable skew correction. I can’t remember if it is enabled by default.

In that case, that’s another variable to consider whether it’s worth the trouble for you or not.

Less than a half mm off is pretty close

Hey @Jonathjon, your post a few days ago made me pay more attention to my belts. Just noticed unexpected flapping rising/falling belt motion on my right side because my idler is wrong way around :man_facepalming:, details here, sharing incase you’re having similar issue still. Cheers!

1 Like

Thanks @azab2c I took a look at that and mine are orientated correctly. It hasn’t been doing it nearly as much as before since I tensioned them a little better. Still trying to get this thing truly square. Printing the bed skew prints now and going to give that a try like @Michael_Melancon suggest.

Does anyone know how to get super slicer to wait until everything is heated up before it starts homing?? I think that’s been throwing me some weird stuff. Bed isn’t sticking well in spots and I think that’s because its being leveled while its still expanding. But I am slicer dumb and cant find anywhere to change that.

What does your start G-Code look like?

M109 and M190 are probably what you are looking for to wait before your homing GCode

I tried adding that, the heat stuff gets put in before it gets to the custom start gcode and there is no wait. I have tried googling it but keep coming up empty.

Looking at it now, I see why I always get a slight hesitation before it starts printing. I just wish it would heat up before it started homing/leveling

ah, ok. I use PrusaSlicer, so my start GCode has something like:

M190 S{first_layer_bed_temperature[0]} ; wait for bed temp to stabilize
M109 S{first_layer_temperature[0]} ; wait for nozzle temp to stabilize

You can check SuperSlicer macros for custom GCode and still inject it there probably

EDIT:

looks like the above should work for you still too

1 Like

Yep I didn’t have the { part right when I did it. Going to add that in there now and see what happens on the next print. THANK YOU!

While we are on the subject. Do you run a purge line? or just let your skirt do the purge? Anything else in your start gcode I should add?

1 Like