MP3DP v4 - Aza's build

The X dimension has to be in 25mm increments, or the X rails will not fit on the side blocks.

1 Like

Good to know, although I’m not sure what it means to update the parts!

OK, doing 325 instead of 310 should not be a problem. I guess it would mean the platform for the 310x310 print bed would have extra space on all sides.

Do you have a drawing for the z plate that connects to the Z motors?

I have updated the instructions, showing exactly how to make one that fits whatever bed you plan on using. Most beds have holes in different locations.

3 Likes

Thanks!

Thanks for taking time to update the docs, wasn’t expecting you’d have time for those.

I striked out the wrong info in my earlier posts. Didn’t realize we need to edit dimensions within the “Parameters” file, that’s great to know. I was wondering why I couldn’t edit dimensions within Favorite User parameters from within the MP3DP v4 file.

The big red arrows on MP3DP v4 - V1 Engineering Documentation help :slight_smile: Cheers!

Edit: I should have read Repeat v2 Topic more closely…

2 Likes

It just takes soooo long to do. I love that something is finally done though. I got all my MP3DP parts cut out today so maybe I will have some more time for that before Rmmrf, we’ll see I still have the rest of the build and hopefully a LR3 to finish and pack up.

3 Likes

the purpose of this post in this thread is to ask for some clarity on the baseplate holder hopefully as an informational addition to the information above for those of us interested in correctly sizing a 3d print heated bed to be put on a somewhat custom plate inside the MP3DP. What material should the plate be made of and is there a recommended size or size overage for the desired effective print area?

@vicious1, your useable print plate area is 200x200 for xy, what size heated plate did you put in there? 210x210, 235x235? your baseplate design instructions are well done.

@DougJoseph you asked for a 310x310 heated bed plate. Are you planning for 300x300 useable print area?

@supraguy building a 250x250, what size plate did you use?

azab2c (we are only allowed to mention 3 users in a post?) are you going stock on your build in this thread? And thank you for the time spent to link everything into one place! Your BOM list is very helpful as are the links to the other builds.

Yes, that’s the plan.

1 Like

Thanks for starting the baseplate/bed questions. Agree, will be helpful to know what sizes and parts people are going with.

Yep. Yep, mostly stock (e.g. Undecided on hotend). You’re welcome.

1 Like

All my beds are a bit different but they all print at 200x200. 214 is the average OD of my beds.

1 Like

The original intent was to use one of the 214X214 (200X200 usable area) jist like Ryan designed, but I could only find (with reasonable shipping) 235X235 build platforms supposed to be 225X225 usable. Last minute, after sizing for everything else I did find a 214X214 platform and I’m using that. (No need of larger since my first repeat is 300X300.)

2 Likes

Thats what mine came out to. And the 120v heater works awesome

2 Likes

I’m struggling with this.

On the “CAD Files” link, I selected “open in Fusion 360” — and it added them to my cloud area under Admin. I got a whole list of files. I opened the Parameters file, and edited the three main params as according to the documentation (red arrows). I then opened the main file, saved a copy of it, closed it, reopened it, and the MGN linear rails are still too short. I also had to edit the sketch with the V1E logo to move it down and to the right, to get the logo cut in the front panel to be usable. Any idea what I did wrong?

UPDATE 1:

After reading again, it occurred to me that I might need to also “open” the MGN rail files in the list, and so I tried that, first with X. When I opened it, it said the component was out of date, and it allowed me to update it. However when it updated, it did not move the screw hole locations properly. See pic:

UPDATE 2:

I located the sketch that corresponds to the first hole’s placement, and I added a dimension to constrain its distance from the end of the [newly resized] rail, and (by assuming it should be half of the 25mm increment), I assigned it to be 12.5mm, and then when I save the sketch, the holes in the resulting linear rail seem to be right.

NOTE:

Afterward I repeated the same “open > update the out of date component” approach on the Y rail, and its holes did not need fixing.

Similarly, when I updated the Z linear rail, it also did not need its holes fixed:

I thought I fixed that one. I have no idea why it is being a pain. I will dot it again. Really though, the holes are just cosmetic and nothing is based on them.

4 Likes

Got it.

I’m also getting another glitch, this time on trying to resize the bed size for the “bed support” part.

1. The bed size / sketch does indeed open at the size that is based on the edited params. However, my bed is 310 x 310, and my params edit was 325 x 325 because of 25mm increment. So it comes in actually 15 mm too much in X and Y.

2. So, I edit “Sketch1” and then I double click on the Dimensions for X and Y, and change X from “MainWidth_Ref” to “MainWidth_Ref - 15 mm” and change Y from “MainDepth_Ref” to “MainDepth_Ref - 15 mm” — which works as expected.

3. However, I then get an error message that a chamfer cannot be done. See first screen shot. I was able to scan around and see the red outlining hint on the offending chamfer edge — at the back of the bed support part. See second screen shot.

Additional note:

I happened to still have a prior copy of the main component with all the parts, and that has not had the bed size sketch1 edited, i.e. is still at the 325x325 as shown in the updated params, and it shows the timeline entry for the chamfer in red also, and gives the same error. So, this chamfer failure seems to be unrelated to / not caused by the dimension edits described above.

PS:

I also tried to compare the “bed support part” in your latest published CAD files and it does not look like a chamfer has been successfully added to the part. ?

1 Like

You have a bed with a 310 by 310 usable area? If that is the case, yes round down. There has to be limits, not every single item will work. I can add that to the instructions, I just never imagined a bed outside of a usable 25mm multiple existed.

The chamfer is a 10 degree on the bed bolt slot to allow for tilt to the z mount. As far as I know the current version has no errors, the physical part gets modified by hand after cnc since it is such a slight adjustment. If you are worried about it just delete or ignore it. It is there for extreme bed tilt (non planar printing, which I doubt anyone uses).

I think the bed is 310 x310 actual size, with an “intended” usable area of 300x300. So, I guess rounding down to 300 (instead of rounding up to 325) is an option. ?? If so I will do that as it would save a bit of size on a lot of things. Maybe I was mistakenly thinking I had to input /go off my actual bed size instead of the slightly smaller area intended as usable?

Got it. Thanks!

I edited the timeline entry for the chamfer, and changed its depth from 5mm (at 10 degrees) to 4.5mm (at 10 degrees) and then it computed with no error. Until then, I was not seeing any chamfer as the entry was simply not being computed due to the error.

Correct. If you look at the bed sketch you will see where you can put in the actual size, and actual hole placement. Usable dims go in step one.

1 Like