Moving x/y Axis works, homing x/y does not work

I have read the thread about the switches either not working or a wiring issue. My problem only happened after letting the machine sit for about 2-3 months with garage temps between 70-90 degrees? are the homing switches known to go bad after heat cycles? both the x and y are affected during homing only. nothing has gotten damp or wet. Should I spray with silicone lube to unstick switches or order replacements for all of them?

Thank You,
Ian

Half Solved: Played with y stops and cycled them manually and it works now, x still acts up after cycling and playing with wires. ordering endstops now!

well not solved. switched the wiring expecting the result to run the otherside constantly but it acts like both switches are closed. tried another limit switch on both sides and it acts the same. Could the ramps board have gone bad?

The switches should.be good to temps outside of what we would consider habitable and the printed plastic (particularly PLA) will notably deform before the injection molded ABS plastic casings on the switches will. I don’t think your switches went bad. Also, they would be really unlikely to exhibit intermittent failures like that.

The way the circuits are wired, a low voltage regulator can cause a failure, or a number of other factors. Some modes of switch failure are also possible, but really unlikely on 2 or more switches at the same time. The controller board becomes more likely as a common point.

Remember that the switches are only considered during homing, and not at all while operating.

M119 is your friend while diagnosing stop failures.

Im homing from the lcd screen, I can manually zero the machine but squaring it becomes a problem. I really dont want to order a $170 board or rewire for the Fluid. im on a tight deadline for a big event and this machine is killing me right now.

works fine when giving it direction to move each axis in any direction just issues when homing.

I’d be more suspicious of a little corrosion from high humidity if it was really warm, I don’t know where you are in the world of course. Have you tried removing and reseating the endstop plugs on the board?

located in Delaware. I removed them from the board when i swapped positions on them. If I swapped left and right endstops on the board but the same motor ran, i would say the connection issue is the board itself?

What did the M119 results tell you?

Pull an M119 when not homing/not triggered, then repeat for each endstop individually as you manually trigger them.

M119 tells me y2 is triggered.

If i swap y1 and y2 cords it still says triggered. during testing x1 ended up triggering by itself and would not untrigger.

Questions for clarity: Y2 is showing triggered. You swapped the Y2/Y1 endstop cables at the SKR, and Y2 still shows as triggered?

Then at some point while you were testing, X1 ended up showing as triggered and will not untrigger?

For the first issue, if you swapped the cables at the SKR and Y2 stays triggered then it hints that there may be an issue with the SKR. For that, we usually ask for high-res photographs of the front and back of your board so we can look for various issues.

A previously working X1 that opened up during testing could also be an SKR problem, but that one could also be an extension cable that is bad/intermittent.

As a part of the troubleshooting, double check any place you have extension cables plugged together as this can be a source of much frustration.

I’ve battled an SKR that was funky and ended up making some test cables that were just pin shorts. If you have a location that won’t show as untriggered even with a direct pin short, then you have a controller issue.

Edit- pay close attention to endstop cable location as BTT’s design has +5V and GND exposed, and if you install off-by-one you short the 5V rail. Not the best design choice, in my opinion.

Checked cables and swapped them across all axis. Still showing on the m119 x1 and y2 triggered no matter what is plugged in. I ordered a v1 board, another rambo1.4 and 4 new endstops. I’ll manually zero and test my cuts while i wait for parts. worst case is zero it by hand and square it by hand. I have deadline to meet august 6th so I cant lose this entire week. worst case I end up making more printers/cnc machines with the extra parts. I appreciate the help and if I have time I will share the outcome.

Understood. We’ll help more if/when you need it.
Is your current setup with an SKR or a rambo? Did you order a V1 SKR or a V1 Jackpot?

Glad you have a setup that works for you in the interim.

rambo1.4 and i ordered a v1 jackpot and another rambo 1.4

Rambo boards are very rugged, this is still a good choice.

Also a very good choice.