Moving the business forward

Michael DID say that his shopspace was at a premium.a removable LR3 might be just the thing he needs. And a router with a cord…

1 Like

@vicious1 You can get Vegas Pro pretty cheap at the moment: The Essential Content Creator Bundle (pay what you want and help charity).
I bought the same bundle a few years back with Vegas 15 and it is absolutely worth it. If you need help with fade ins or whatever just give me a shout.

5 Likes

:sweat_smile:

Lolz

1 Like

See that is where a small like 3018 would come in handy. Something cheap!

2 Likes

Hi everyone, I got some strange emails, finally read them and that brought me to this thread. Apologies if I have misinterpreted anything, I’ve only read the ones where I was mentioned.
Addressing some points:

• The LR2 was brought to my attention by a patron, who made a request. I agreed and eventually purchased a kit for a build. When deciding what to make a video about, it has to interest me personally, and I think the topic has to hold interest to the average viewer too. I love the V1 engineering concept. CNC machines can be expensive, so the idea of making something with the volume of the LR2 for relatively little money was appealing. I also like that I could just buy a kit with all of the parts. Some people like to shop around and source themselves to save money, but for me, buying from Australia, I just wanted it sorted.
  • I split the build over several episodes because that is what works best for me. It helps me budget my time between build progress and making videos. With larger projects, I have to work on them in little portions over a long period of time if they only have a single video, because I still need to spend time creating regular videos. I can’t just drop everything. However, if I build a 3D printer or CNC over multiple videos, I can make it my sole focus and still be able to release videos to my schedule. I also get positive feedback for my videos being concise so I also prefer to have multiple shorter videos rather than one really long one.
  • I use the LR2 when needed for projects and make sure to include it in the video. Unfortunately that is not that often, because I have other CNCs that generate and at least contain mess better. I also have decent sized co2 laser cutter now. This is a specific circumstance related to me building the LR2 in an area that houses all of my other electronics. I don’t have space anywhere else to move it to.
  • I have had a furniture project that would require the LR2 in the works for a long time. In essence, it’s a Lego play and storage table. Looks like a normal wooden coffee table with a smooth top, but the bottom of this top surface has Lego studs machined directly into the timber. The surface can flip between smooth and Lego studs. Lego pieces are stored inside the body of the table, and when building needs to pause, the top is flipped and the parts are still attached to the timber stud surface internally. Kind of like a puzzle mat that rolls up to keep the puzzle in its current state so that an area can be kept tidy. No idea when I’ll get to this, as since we moved house the kids have better play areas so the need is not as strong to hide their mess.
  • Reaching out to creators would indeed be tricky. In the early days for me, it was exciting to be offered something to feature in a video. These days, my emails are clogged full of VPN companies wanting to sponsor my videos and Chinese manufacturers wanting me to cover their latest clone 3D printer or laser cutter. I probably accept less than 1% of what I’m offered. Not saying this to brag, but rather point out the reality of trying to connect with a larger channel in a sea of marketing trash. Smaller channels, as you say, might not have the reputation yet so you don’t know if they’ll follow through. If they do, the reach is limited. It’s a tricky proposition in finding balance. I’d be wary of anyone asking for money to feature your products. Immediately you know they aren’t passionate about the build. I built the LR2 based on merit and I was excited to do so. I take pleasure in giving exposure to a project or product I find novel.
  • If I hadn’t upgraded the LR2, I might have built a LR3 instead. Poor timing on my part. I wanted to upgrade the belt system for a while, and by the time I got around to it the LR3 was about to come out. I wouldn’t mind being able to remove it from the table, but then I still need somewhere to store it.
19 Likes

Thank you so much for the feedback! I appreciate all your videos and your printer calibration guide is frequently referenced around here. Stellar work.

The person I reached out to confirmed what you said about trying to get videos done as well. I’ll stick to organic, and try to spur on some of our users that enjoy the video process :wink:. I’ll stick mainly to development where I belong dabbling in video when I feel spunky.

12 Likes

Ryan, I think it’ll be good if you and other power users can showcase what your machines can do. Challenges would be cool and potentially pretty varied in content. Although it never hurts, I don’t think you’d have to offer a prize either. The drag races are a good concept - It’d be cool to see a summary maybe every few months. Narrated critiques and reactions are pretty common in the tech world

Some other challenge ideas that could run for a month or so:

• You’re take on a specific project like coasters, trays, signs
  • Themes (Christmas, aluminum, two sided machining)
  • Shop tours
  • Best mods
  • Cleanest builds/coolest table/ best wire & dust management. (I feel like NEWTech Creative would win all of these lol)
5 Likes

I’ve been thinking about video. If you’re going to pay a pro to shoot and/or edit, it really should be just one intro video. Small clips of machining, features of the machines, examples or explanations of the differences between LR and Primo, definitely include repeat and zenxy (probably MP3DP, too). Short shop tour, more machining. You could probably stuff all that into a short video under 10 minutes. Could certainly include clips from our (users) libraries. I know you’ll probably want permission, but i don’t know anybody who would say no.

All the other videos could easily be quick shot, unedited, “here’s what I’m doing, here’s how it works”. Too much production value might take away from the DIY aura, you know? Quick videos imply quick easy tasks, long videos hint that it’s going to be complex and I need to pay attention.

Shorter videos also feel like a more personal peek into what you’re doing, like dropping by someone’s house for a cup of coffee vs being invited over for holiday dinner. I’m more likely to think you put on a lot of work just to make a good impression for the latter, but the former is just a couple of friends hanging out in the real world. That seems “more V1” to me.

3 Likes

I think that makes perfect sense to me.

My plan right now it to do some tests. I will film an average job. What a user can expect. It would fit nicely on a “so you want a CNC” page. I can do it as many times as I need while still getting work done (cutting YZ plates). I can work on lighting, angles (staying out of the way), and maybe even try to clean up my CNC corner a bit. At that point when I get something I am okay with I will try some edits. If I can’t get it close I will ask for some help.

If I get that okay, I will film all sorts of short clips, speeds tests (these are the most fun for me), in depth answers to questions.

At some point I will start a separate video thread so anyone who is interested can jump in and collaborate.

5 Likes
2 Likes

And much more widely available

1 Like

Okay, so I switched to davinci resolve. Took some classes on how to work it (15 minutes on the YouTubes). I have to say, so far, a world of diffence.

I shot a very basic video and I am cutting it down and speeding some sections up. I think you are all right, it is worth the time and effort, thanks for pushing me. I think this video answers a million questions people ask. I tried to show what a real, actual CNC job looks like start to finish with a tool change. I think it should set expectations, and answer questions. Zoomed out, full table showing, a little closeup action, like a real average job.

Still a lot of things to add, lots of text and maybe some background music or something in a few places. Without any talking in it is it awkwardly quiet. I will leave in the first section of real time cutting and the actual vacuum sounds so you can tell what it sounds like, after that I will cut the volume I think.

Again, thank you. It is not easy, but more fun this time and seems like a very good use of time.

13 Likes

Work bought a lapel microphone from Rode for youtubing. I made fun of it at first, but I see alot of the youtubers are using them now. It works quite well. That way you will not have fades that you have to balance in the Davinci.

3 Likes

Wireless lapel mic was the first thing I bought for making YouTube vids, BEFORE better lights. People will put up with underlit shots and low contrast, but they will not put up with bad audio

I bought a $46 one off Amazon. Doesn’t need to be rode

4 Likes

See, I just don’t talk. I hate annoying talking youtubers… Like: heeeeeeeeeey, please… like and subscribe!!! :smiley: With me it’s just the fact. Speed, DOC, endmill etc. My brother told me my videos look like an old man would do videos. :sweat_smile: I am okay with that though.
I might make a video where I talk where I introduce the French Cleat wall. But it needs more stuff first. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I also dislike Stereo Youtubes, for instance, Bobs CNC. They come back and forth at me. Dont get me wrong, I love hifi, but not for this type of stuff. I also hate when I am watching a video someone steps away from the mic and then back to it. Especially where they are illustrating something. I just turn it up to hear them then BLAM they came back to the mic. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I will pay you 10000 credits NOT to do another French cleat wall video.

I did a French cleat wall once. ONCE. I never moved the holders around, in 4 years.

Now, I do the Mother of all Toolboards with threaded inserts instead. Standardized spacing means you have the ‘hang wherever’ ability of FC, but you don’t have the wasted wall space with the cleats

1 Like

Haven’t you seen my French Cleat build thread? It’s fucking awesome!!! And I mean it. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

That’s why they should be using lab mics- the voice should be at constant level, adjusted in post.

Lol, no.

Link please.

I mean- it’s a strip with a 45, and another strip with a 45. How awesome can it be?

I use brass inserts and I clock my screws. Fancy