Moving the business forward

Interesting take. This keeps coming up. I am really considering it, honestly shipping is a harder task than building at the moment.

Still the most worrisome part is supporting a person that is not interested in building it. I should try it instead of just dismissing it though.

No everyone puts a spin on it, some I understand more than others. You did well and I appreciate your spin.

4 Likes

When covid hit, we started offering shipping in my business. Now it seems we need to dedicate someone 1-2 days a week just to do shipping. And we don’t charge enough to cover the costs, because that would be excessive, even though we have doubled what we charge for the service, and still our customer base keeps growing explicitly because we offer shipping, so we are making more $$$ because we ship, but I do understand the problem.

A very valid concern, one that I would be afraid to confront. If they don’t want to build it, they won’t want to figure out why it’s not perfect.

3 Likes

I’ve seen some ridiculous build sizes, so maybe put a limit on it at “full sheet” for LR and 24X24 for Primo. With recommended Z heights both places.

Myself, I would have rather had a choice than pre made that way, but I’d tuck away extra wire.

A ready to go controller option is good though. Maybe a standard controller box where you feed it AC and have labeled exterior connectors for the motors, stop switches, spindle control and laser. “Spindle control” can be an SSR or 10V PWM and laser can be PWM/12V compatable with most laser modules on a 3 pin DuPont.

One case for the LR3 (X, Y1, Y2, Z1, Z2) and one for the Primo (X1, X2, Y1, Y2, Z) with matching wiring kits.

There is value there, though definitely extra work. This also means that you are making design decisions with the Primo that you currently don’t, but to have an electronics box that the end-user never has to open may be more comfortable for some of the wood worker types. (Thinking of my Dad, here. He’s been a carpenter for decades, but I had to explain to him what a CNC machine was when I made some pieces for him.) Most of these guys use power tools, but at best they may replace motor brushes when they wear out, they certainly don’t want to build their own electronics.

1 Like

Alright, I’ve been out of the picture for a bit, but I read this thread today and hope I can provide my experiences without muddying the water. I honestly have no idea if I’m the typical MPCNC customer but I’ve seen a lot of my thoughts touched on by other users, so I feel like I’m not alone. I apologize that I’m verbose, and the way my mind works I want to provide a lot of context for each of my thoughts.

Probably 6 years ago I wanted to do lots of CNC projects and had seen several of my favorite makers using a Shapeoko or an X Carve. I couldn’t afford either of those so assumed I was out of luck until I stumbled upon the MPCNC on Thingiverse. I wanted to build one because it was the most capable machine I could get within my budget. Yes I liked in depth projects but that wasn’t why I chose the MPCNC, it was the only reason I didn’t rule it out.

It’s hard to find polished videos of the MPCNC
There are three main types of videos that drive a lot of interest, and guide purchases:
Project videos that focus on what you can make, including the build process and completed project. These are fun to watch and get you excited to build something. Usually these don’t focus on the CNC but highlight it as a crucial tool. These are watched by all kinds of makers, and generally what makes them first aware of CNCs - Example
Videos that provide more context for the CNC as a tool. These often still highlight a genre of projects and explain why a specific model is a good choice for them. These are watched by both people looking for info on a specific hobby as well as those looking for specifics on CNCs. I think this one is the most crucial for driving interest on a specific model and should be a main goal for the MPCNC - Example that is fantastic
Videos explaining the nitty gritty. This will range from full project builds to cut demonstrations. These are generally only watched by people who have already narrowed down what model they want. Example

Unfortunately, regarding that first category of video, I don’t think I’ve ever stumbled across one from a well known maker that uses the MPCNC. Regarding the second category, there are videos that go over the MPCNC, but its hard to find any with an engaging host and high production value. Teaching Tech and Thomas Slanderer which have videos from the third category. They are the only ones I’ve seen from a popular maker on YT and neither really illustrate what you can make with it. Even worse, Thomas’ video is the top search result, and we all know what a cockup his build and opinions were. Brauns CNC videos have the most (English) views and amazing results, but also emphasize it as a heavily modified machine which doesn’t reflect a normal build. Most of MPCNC videos are in the third category and the majority are hard to watch. Making good videos is difficult so I get it, but I can’t tell you how many are just loud clips of someone trying to dial in feeds and speeds without any narration or context or editing. These won’t excite many people who haven’t already decided that they want the MPCNC.

Its hard to know what to buy
I’ve seen this mentioned the most and I also strongly agree. I’m happy that you seem interested in addressing this and are already taking steps to simplify things like controller options. You’ve put tremendous work into making this a tool that can cover a wide variety of bases. Make it into a vinyl cutter, or add a laser, use conduit/SS/DOM, can use a variety of control boards, and be built with both metric and imperial hardware. It’s incredible! It also makes it even more daunting. When I was finally convinced I wanted a MPCNC I had to dig through the build guide and the forums to decide what I needed and it made me take forever to actually purchase. Should I get dual endstops? how tall should it be? Will I need the LCD? What will I do for cables? How will I probe my z height? Once I determine all of that I had to seek out specific instructions for my build.

The best way to fix this will be to have a benchmarked and standardized build that feels complete. Include everything needed as a kit (other than the tubing, router, and bed material). For instance, “Here is the standard MPCNC. It has _____ cutting volume, and offers auto squaring, touchscreen control, z probing etc, and wire management is built in” Then explain that if people want to either add ore remove features/build volume they can buy things individually in the store. Please have this be a single control board, and please include wire management even if its just the tape measure trick. It sucks to feel like you put together what you bought, but that you’re not done because now you need figure out wire and dust management on your own. This causes you to buy even more parts and dig around for third party mods or make your own. This has what put my build on hold for the past year because it killed my momentum. I’m sure there are lots of people love to tinker and see this as a pro, but even more casual wannabe CNCers who are turned away by it. I’m only just now catching up to everything so maybe some of this addressed on the newer LR3.

TLDR, we need better videos showcasing the MPCNC, and then a clear-cut standard build and kit.

PS thank you Ryan for everything you’ve contributed. You’ve enabled a ton of people to have a very cool tool.

5 Likes

Just my 2 cents… (I won’t be offended if i get change back) I love my MPCNC, but in hindsight, a LR would’ve been a better choice for me. Perhaps marketing the MPCNC as a desktop model (max ~ 30x30 overall) only and LR as the larger capability shop model. I would also recommend eliminating the 3/4" emt option and standardize on 1" emt or 1" stainless rails.

I respectfully disagree on eliminating the 3/4" conduit version. It is capable at the right size, and the least expensive of the rail options, by an order of magnitude.

4 Likes

I was just looking at it from a kitting perspective. Not knocking the 3/4" emt, but less options, less parts to make and stock. Easier to put together kits. Was just my two cents from years in manufacturing.

3 Likes

Pilot program? Limited time only? Limited number of orders?

Those could be some ways to limit your exposure.

2 Likes

Too much to reply to it all but I have read it.

I really do understand the video aspect that keeps getting brought up but I am not a video editor, and good videos are a full time job. The current profit margin does not allow for me to hire help packing boxes let alone hire a full time video person…kind of a catch 22. Get more videos, make more sales, hire a helper…
The other aspect is when you watch a woodworking video do you feel like you need that brand of table saw the person uses. A CNC is a tool, other than a few very specific aspects, a CNC is a CNC. A table saw is a table saw.

LEts try this. If I pay for one video what should it be. I think we might as well try. I honestly can not think of one specific thing to ask for. Assembly videos are cool but are worthless the second I change a part. So a touch plate video, or a tool change, just a start to finish. Lets hear some ideas and we can work out the details if we have a clear direction to head…I have the perfect guy to ask.

2 Likes

Been following along. I hope all your work leads to increased happiness, ease of management, and sales. You have an awesome machine and community.

As for the video part - I think the most bang for the buck would a short 3-5 minute video that gives a high level overview. "So you want to make really cool stuff at home for cheap? Let me show you the MPCNC! Buy a kit or print your parts, cut some rod, assemble it (stop motion with a frame of everything laid out, then a frame of printed pieces together, a frame of rods inserted, controller mounted, wiring ran, then dust collection - high level so it works if you change individual parts but shows the major steps), then maybe show how to carve out text using estlcam “Use these free programs to make cool signs and cut out shapes!” and then carve it in wood, again broad strokes - not a full tutorial for all the steps. “We have a great community in our forums where answers and help can always be found, plus a place to show off your awesome projects! See some examples and videos of other makes like you in the links down below” The point being to show beginners the process in general and to prove that a plastic cnc can carve out wood.

A few points I’ll reiterate from above

• finding V1engineering/mpcnc is somewhat a stroke of luck; if you want more entry level people buying the kits, somehow getting it to appear on those facebook shorts, youtube makers, etc might help. Part of the reason for my video suggestion above.

-I choose V1engineering over other cnc’s for the community and forums (and Jeffe - he answers everything). Great job on making a place for such a cool community

-I built everything for the LR2 in the docs and was like great! I’m done! but then realized I had to do wiring management and dust collection (which still isn’t complete); that was unexpected and the biggest bummer of the project. Seems like LR3 is better on the dust collection front. Making those two parts easier might help get some more projects off the ground. I’m not a hardcore DIY guy and this was first big electronics project so needed more support than the other types on here.

-I like the idea of offering one board but somehow saying others can be used. I probably spent a week holding off on purchasing the kit because I wasn’t sure whether to get the rambo, rambo mini, or SKR (with touchscreen or without?).

Thanks for doing all this work so I can have fun! It really is a cool machine.

3 Likes

You can always use my videos. They are not really professional, but I think they do the MPCNC justice. :smile: Uncle Phil used to do a great job in Germany, a lot of people started because of his videos, myself included.
I might try to add a build video of the lowrider, just like @azab2c.

4 Likes

So basically this would be getting a popular or known maker out there a V1 CNC machine and more or less sponsoring that maker to do one or more project videos where they use the CNC as a part of their project build. Maybe they do a video of building the CNC machine themselves.

TeachingTech did a LR2 build, and has used the LR2 as part of other videos, I know. Maybe worthwhile to see if he can be ralked into upgrading to a LR3 which is easily removed from the table. Sponsor with printed parts and a large bag of M5 screws, lol.

Some users here have done project videos heavily featuring a V1 CNC machine, but it seems to me that this is looking to get someone with a solid viewership already to help put a face on these machines. At this juncture, Primo or LowRider3 probably doesn’t matter too much.

I don’t follow a lot of these youtubers, so I have no idea who would be a good candidate to sponsor, maybe some would do it if you just supply them with printed parts and hardware.

1 Like

Thank you I will take another look through. I have been slowly linking more and more videos throughout the docs and product pages.

I have reached out in the past to three different people. This is not as easy as you might expect. Super small youtubers are happy to take a kit for free, but at that point they don’t really have a track record or a big enough following to make it much more than a gamble. The ones that are getting some traction have giant demands, free plus 4 digit cash requests, and that is not a guaranteed vid.

Is my thinking that us power users just start flexing what we can do and the credible youtubers will want to try it out naturally? like teaching tech, he never reached out, never asked a question to me directly. He bought a kit himself and I believe asked a question or two in the forums. The more credible people interested will gravitate towards a good thing, right? Smaller channels want known buzz word brands to gain traction, I don’t think many are venturing far off the popular items in fear of not gaining precious subscriptions.

I can drop a line to the one youtuber I know enough to get a unique perspective.

3 Likes

Yeah, didnt think it would be easy, but maybe easier than learning all the videography and editing skills.

The 4 digit cash requests are a bit of a surprise. I guess subscriber counts and ad revenues aren’t all there is to having a fabulous lifestyle as a youtube star. :roll_eyes: :rofl:

1 Like

I used to get a lot of emails, “hey I am about to start a YouTube channel. Send me a free stuff and I will make a video” Those have tapered off.

I sent a message, I am intrigued to hear the YouTube perspective.

1 Like

I don’t, but I know many that do and hence the ‘product placement’ by manufacturers.

I agree wholeheartedly on the video thing - unless you want to make videos or have the means to do it.

On the other hand a bloke I know probably makes the best photoshop/lighroom instruction videos I’ve seen. He keeps them to 5 minutes because that’s about all a human mind can pay attention for (hence all the “entertaining fillers” in the other style) and sticks to one small aspect of the software.

Even Michael @teachingtech ran his LR2 build over two episodes, but was that for entertainment or to instruct? I’d say the former.

I don’t know if I’m just going to clutter up forum space, but I’m going to have a crack with my LR3 build, not to video for reasons explained by @vicious1 , but to explain each step of “angst” along the way - if someone wants to make a five minute episode of them please do! There is much more than “how do I build this” in the decision making process.

1 Like

Right, but it might take a while. Why not open some line of communication with Michael @teachingtech? or invite him to comment on this thread? He may not be interested or he may see the gem of an idea he can pursue - nothing ventured…

1 Like

That part I fully understand.

I am not good at the boastful part of being a business owner, self advertising is extremely difficult for me. Personally and in terms of business.

Trying to find a balance, I do understand I am lacking in terms of official V1 videos. Let me see if I can start just putting out some short stuff over the next month or two, minimal editing type stuff and maybe I will work my way up a bit, look through some of your catalogs and link more videos, and see what is possible in terms of asking for “bigger youtubers” to get involved.

I am perfectly happy letting the product speak for itself but I am hearing I should do a little more than that at a minimum.

4 Likes

Discovered LowRider 3 and V1E forum thanks to @teachingtech’s video about his LR2 upgrades. Thank you Michael! I keep expecting Michael to build one… Michael and similar folks inspired me to build a LR3 and video the process. Personally, I like Michael’s approachable edutainment style, helps massively that Michael is an experienced teacher. Cheers!

5 Likes

Crowd source the videos.

Tell a willing volunteer what needs to be in the shot- material, feeds, speeds, wide angle close up- and they shoot it on their phone and send the footage.

Maybe someone with better editing skills does the edit?

Im sure we could get 4-5 people
Together as a production team and bang out a few decent quality vids showing high level capabilities.

If I ever get time to get my YouTube off the ground, I definitely plan to do a small series on the LR3

4 Likes