Minnesota Lowrider: Full-sized fun in the Twin Cities - or - How I convinced the wife to let me build a CNC table

Very very nice result…great simple, yet eye-catching design.

I’ve just received the electronics to start reading manuals etc to get mine finished, can’t wait to have a crown done…lol

Enjoy !!!

Àlex

1 Like

Got the new spoil board down with a couple of screws so I could start milling channels for T-tracks, pockets for through-hole bolt clamps and alignment pins, etc. This was about 2.5 hours of milling at 10mm depth in two passes. I probably could have sped the machine up a bit, but I’m still learning. The T-Track channels need to be widened, but I’m not ready to order any track yet, so they’re more like placeholders for now, and I can put screws through them into the table.

2 Likes

First self-designed project. I needed a workspace attached to the CNC table so I could work out here while watching the machine. I designed a screwless desk (other than the uprights being screwed to the legs of the CNC table). This was the first official cut to full test the pattern cutting of the table in preparation for a pocket/part cut for a reptile enclosure made of plywood for my daughter’s bearded dragon.

Everything is slotted assembly, and the desk goes on with a block of wood and a heavy mallet.

The pegs that stick up are cut to the correct depth of 12mm for the Baltic birch, so they’ll sit flush when I take this apart and clean up the edges of all the parts.

6 Likes

how did you get your mpcnc to be rigid enough to cut anything?
i made mine 500mm x 750mm and i had so many issues with deflection.

That is a low rider, not an mpcnc. It is meant for larger work areas.

1 Like

ah i didn’t look too closely i seen the horse and thought mpcnc.
I thought the lowrider only does cutouts on boards not actual engraving.
i’d like to cut out a wood plane prop for decoration could an lowrider do that?
or too thick a material?
im in mid process of building my own mpcnc version but dont have much time and my 3d printer has been down for months. only got the printer working this week.
but i could still convert it to a lowrider if its a more solid design.

MPCNC should be capable of cutting aluminum. Wood should definitely be possible. 500x750 working space is not too big for MPCNC.

Probably best to start a new thread and we can see what is wrong with your MPCNC. It might be something simple that can fix your MPCNC to be rigid enough for wood. This will take less time than creating your own variant.

sorry if i got off topic.
i’ve already tried to sort it out with Ryan a while back. his suggestion helped with he gantry but the EMT is the weak link in the rigidity. I already have the models set to go for my version and almost everything i need i just mostly need to print stuff. it doesn’t use EMT that would be pointless if it was the weak link.

I’m using 1/8" wall stainless for my pipes. They are extremely rigid. I get a lot of flex in the joints though. Deflection is pretty minimal, though I am fighting alignment issues and z drop halfway down the table.

I made this today.

Stairs for our two geriatric dogs that can’t jump into bed with us and cuddle anymore.

7 Likes

Thanks i may try the SS pipes if i can find a decent place to buy them.
i just have to get something better to cut them with than a pipe cutter. lol

nice steps.

Found a mini dust separator tonight, but couldn’t stand their “nested bucket on rollers” design. Can you believe they wanted me to drill holes in the side of my shop vac? I think not.

Ten minutes in Fusion 360, 30 minutes to cut, and I now have an out of the way place to store it along with my shop vac underneath. I’ll be running 2 inch PVC with a ground wire attachment this week in order to get the rest of the dust collection system started. I just need to find 2 inch waste gates and I’m set.

2 Likes

You’re crushing it. Keep it coming.

1 Like

Soooo… Trochoidal Milling…

I’ve been struggling to get successful cuts, having wasted three+ sheets of 1/2" Baltic Birch. Some of it I determined was related to the lack of dust collection and the powder I was making as I learn. It contaminated the X axis belt and gear, and I had to strip both down and clean them of the fine coating that had caked into the teeth on both. Now that I have dust collection, things are much better.

Next up was repeated burning of bits, broken bits, etc. The burning was too high a spindle speed without enough chip clearing. The dust collection helped with this, but slowing the spindle down a bit for certain bits actually helped clear chips instead of generating the dust. The broken bits seemed to be too high a feed speed (15mm/s) with too deep a pass (8+mm), so I backed both down, which reduced the number of breaks, but did not resolve the issue entirely.

Then I was struggling with the X-axis juddering like crazy and missing steps and it seemed like no matter what I did, it would eventually go off pattern.

Tonight, I discovered what this Trochoidal Milling thing I kept seeing was all about. I enabled it in Estlcam for the bit used for the current job and I think I am finally getting successful cuts for the first time in the last week.

I am currently using a 1/8" single-flute upcut bit, a cheapy from Amazon, and it’s making a full depth (13mm) pass at 9mm/s using a 15% stepover and 15% width, and it’s cutting in the same amount of time that the double+ pass would have taken.

Color me impressed.

Dust collection piping overhead.

3 Likes

Hehe don’t tell people its working with that high of a DOC. Ryan wants everyone to start real slow (15mm/sec) with 1mm doc.

1 Like

I mean, I made thirteen passes at 15mm/s at 1mm DoC… Yeah. That.

5 Likes

That looks neat. Did I miss something about a bigger assembly it’s a part of?

I also liked your doggy stairs, kudos for your kindness to animals. :+1:

Is that a compliant mechanism? It looks like a wheel with built in shock absorption.

It’s a flywheel for a kinetic sculpture that I am making, and sort of a “precision test cut” thing where I wanted to see how detailed I could get on the machine while dialing things in.

1 Like

I’m working on a simple kinetic sculpture from a designer that sells plans, sort of as a proof of concept before I delve into more complex mechanisms.

Re: The stairs. Thanks! My wife is a veterinarian. While I’d be kind to the animals regardless, I do not have a choice now. I’ve had several requests for stairs since I first put these up on my Facebook page, so when the machine wasted a sheet with inaccurate cuts, it was extremely frustrating. Now that I understand Trochoidal Milling, I will try again.

1 Like

I’ll be interested in seeing your sculpture when completed! :+1:

1 Like