Mancala

Take a look at my latest project - Mancala.

This was a pretty fun one, and I sent the board to my mom. Hopefully she doesn’t find this before it arrives on Friday :laughing:

Made with Walnut and purple heart. It is about 5" x 16"

Pockets were done with a Whiteside 1406

You can get these glass bead things at the dollar store

Finished with butcher oil (like you would a cutting board).

See my troubleshooting thread here

Was anyone able to guess what I was making?

17 Likes

There are so many wacky and wonderful things made here i gave up guessing and just enjoy the show its unbelievable. Very nice by the way beautiful and fun. :sparkles:

3 Likes

Wow, that was totally worth the effort, that look flawless.

5 Likes

Looks amazing! All her friends maybe coming to you soon asking for their own

2 Likes

Amazing job! I had to lookup what “Mancala” is!

Mancala (Arabic: منقلة manqalah) refers to a family of two-player turn-based strategy board games played with small stones, beans, or seeds and rows of holes or pits in the earth, a board or other playing surface .

2 Likes

I see you are a man of taste as well. :smile:

1 Like

I like mancala. It is a common copyright free game (sold alongside checkers, backgammon, cribbage boards). We played it a bunch while traveling. The kids also play this when they have “math game time” at school.

When I saw your test cuts I thought, “They should make mancala”

3 Likes

Another one!

10 Likes

Looks like you might need to make a few spares for etsy.

3 Likes

Thank you for the wonderful compliment. I made an Etsy, but haven’t really put the time or this on there yet.

I do need to get on that though. My wife can’t take any more wood knick-knacks I keep making. “Stop making me stuff, I don’t want anything”

1 Like

If it makes money or not I think it is a great outlet for creativity and should at least self fun your projects. I like to make stuff to learn but if I had things piling up I would not keep making them long. Worst case is you keep making things and hear the glorious…“I want one of those”.

5 Likes

Great work, it looks amazing! I’ve been wanting to try my hand at some trays and such, so I appreciate you posting your troubleshooting thread as well.