Makerworld

This just popped up in my tube feed.

He really talks up makerworld! I have not looked him up in makerworld, but he had a ton of points! He got 300 dollars of free stuff and did not pay for shipping. You guys that have stuff on printables may want to check out moving to makerworld! @vicious1 think about it just the downloads alone.

(Under my rock here i was not even aware they had there own site for models!!! Checking that out now!)

2 Likes

Okay, sounds like it is worth a shot!

Thanks for the heads up. (really hope they have an import tool)

1 Like

Oh man, they have an import, and it is simpleā€¦and all the settings are really good as well. I know they had some dram in the past about the siteā€¦I donā€™t remember exactly what it was, but I am liking what I see so far.

2 Likes

Getting there.

https://makerworld.com/en/u/4251294317

I am on X1C and the YZ plates are a small bit too large for the build volume. There could be a remix that is adapted for the X1C.

Perhaps you also could have plates?

There are some remixes out there.

I will see what I can do about that on the next version. I would rather focus my time on a new version than making specific edits on the current version.

1 Like

They did kind of rip off Printables is my understanding

https://twitter.com/josefprusa/status/1706713274455081120

Looks like they kept going, it is different on the back end and works great. That company is really shaking things up and they are doing it quickly.

https://www.printables.com/model/558554-lowrider-3-cnc-yz-plates-for-smaller-3d-printer-be

They code-copied the printables site, only changing the colour, including a lot of models.

Hope it works out 4 you!

Kind of?? It feels identical! But if you watch that video, their rewards program works well! For now! But i looked that person up. I really am not sure how with only 3 uploads they received so many rewards!!!

Call me cynical, but if it sounds too good to be trueā€¦

Wondering if he was ā€˜providedā€™ points in exchange for his video.

2 Likes

Almost certainly, in order to spark the conversation weā€™re having now and drive people to sign up.

2 Likes

I watched a couple others. one guy only had a few items but were heavily downloaded. He got quite a bit also. So Ryan should do pretty well! If they dont changr the program that is.

Weā€™ll see. It kinda splits my points between the two sites. But I have only ever cashed out enough prusa points to get a hat.

I added a link to the main v1e.com page with the socials. I will add a link in the instructions next time I update something.

In the end I just the files wherever someone is looking for them. If it does not have an importer from other sitesā€¦I will probably not use it. I have too many models to do by hand.

3 Likes

I have to be careful because I am aware I have a fair bit of cognitive dissonance happening with this on my part and I will not argue with any of Bambuā€™s many happy customers - their experience is real, mine is from the perspective of a biased observer.

I canā€™t imagine that covering freight and allowing gift cards to be cashed cumulatively is a sustainable business model unless thereā€™s a massive injection of cash coming from somewhere, but thatā€™s none of my business and not a valid criticism and applies to all companies paying for downloads.

Itā€™s clear that many ā€œhonest mistakesā€ involving copying other peopleā€™s work have been perpetrated by the company and the users of the site. When questioned, they apologise, make good, promise to improve and then continue with the same pattern of behaviour, or seem to have done that to date. Their product recall has been great but the bots are already baying for blood!

I am somewhere between not caring at all, and mirroring my Printables stuff there to head off the prospect of any ā€œhonest remixesā€ like the one in the video.

I am fortunate enough to have a couple of models which are constantly downloaded and have amassed enough Prusameters for a Mini, have happily paid freight on my ā€œfreeā€ filament which has arrived along the way at a total cost of around one third of what it would have cost if Iā€™d paid in full or of the cost of any premium filament for that matter. 70% off still represents a large chunk of change in my pocket.

This is a hobby for me and chasing a few points is not high on my list of fun things to do. Before Printables the concept of ā€œrewardā€ was pretty much unheard of and now every site is chasing my custom. Where is the money coming from for the non-manufacturers? Was Thingieā€™s business model or management so bad that it needed ad revenue while the others can just distribute money they print through some miracle? Nothing adds up!

Thingiverse was the original ~default~ repository so their perspective was ā€˜everyone will come here, letā€™s make money from thatā€™. Thingiverse used their terms and conditions to take freely shared content and claim it as their own IP, this annoyed some people.

Sites like cults3d and myminifactory have a premium content for a fee model. Printables started as an alternative to either, I can only guess the loss is worth it to promote prusa printers.

They stole Printables 1:1 and gave it a green skin, imported models without asking etc etc.

1 Like

Yes, itā€™s a marketing cost albeit with some altruism thrown in. Last yearā€™s stats said 10,000 kg of filament given away - that has to be a raw cost of say 100kā‚¬ (@ 30% of retail) which equates to 1ā‚¬ per printer sold in the year, not bad given the millions of people visiting, and the plan it to make it more sustainable by charging a commission (10%?) on club and paid models so I can see that working in the medium term.

The cost to Bambu would be double at least because of the cash aspect, and the currency risks on the liabilities are a challenge! Of course the more their currency tanks, the greater their profit in USD so I guess the hedging is built in.

And that was just the tip of the iceberg, but other significant Chinese manufacturers are arguably worse. I have a VW and thatā€™s not the most honest of companies so why my hypocrisy with tech?