I noticed there is a lack of a thread for a boom arm for the LR4 or specifically.
As I’m having mainly issues only with my 70mm dust hose being very heavy and uncooperative, getting in the way of the gantry and core and after cutting for hours it always tangles up the moment I look away and makes the LR4 skip steps. For now I have a temporary setup which is a steel cable on the ceiling along the length of the table with pulleys, yet still, after 14 hours of cutting straight without issues on one job, at the 98.80% mark I went to brush my teeth and I heard some concerning noises, just to see that it managed to tangle up again, enough to skip a few steps and make the LR4 derail and plunge all the way to the router collet
So now after cutting myself a torsion box and Ryan’s table base, I decided I want to make myself a mix between a boom arm, and the current cable pulley setup. So a boom arm and a cable pulley along it’s lenght. I’ll try to make the design fit the table base and also make the size, so it could be cut out of the offcuts from making said table base. Also I want to make it mounted to the side of the table base.
It’s not finished, I’m just starting but I decided to make a thread anyway to get people involved and help, as I just started with CAD/CAM and CNC’ing as a whole, I’ve no previous experience.
So, since I have 3 meters left from the 32mm pipe from the gantry and rail of the LR4. I think of mounting it upright in the middle on the side of the table base, the mounting will be the easy part, plenty of ideas come to mind. However, I just know that probably the boom arm will get stuck in some way if I just leave it to friction to swing around. So now I’m thinking up a bearing, which the LR4 will cut itself, the balls will be glass marbles as they are cheap and I also have a bunch of em. I don’t know if it’s even understandable from my amazing CAD engineered drawing. But it’s just going to be cut grooves for the balls. And open “C” doughnuts idk what to call them with hose clamps will be just so the boom arm doesn’t slide down the pole.
For now I’ll think of it later, first I have to whip up this bearing inside of Autodesk.
But I can either put a counterweight like a construction crane, or I can make double bearings with hose clamps above as well so the arm is sandwiched but eh, I’ll think of it when I try it.
Btw, this was the start of the idea, please tell me I’m not the only one who needs to do a quick ugly drawing so I can explain to myself what I want to do I have whole notebooks full of things that I have made and also maybe 99% of them which have never seen the light of day.
That’s a pretty cool design! Did you use just washers and thread without any bearing for the swiveling? I’m making it attached to the table base as I want it to move around with the dust collector in the table base and not wall mounted though, so a double arm with big lenght i won’t use fully in the garage.
I am not sure any more, I think I did. The gears are needed so it doesn’t flop around. One of those small pipes now has an electric cable in it so I can plug my mobile tools in and it starts automatically.