LR3 in Washington - n00b build

The printer is a Bambu Lab A1. I got it because of bed size so I could print YZ plates in one piece.

I hear what you are saying about layer height and the finish on angled surfaces. My first test prints trying different nozzles with the Z drive mount varied layer heights and surprisingly showed very little variation in the surface of the angled faces. It’s definitely noticeable on the core print however. I am ironing now for better surfaces.

Nice! Good looking rig!

Shame about the recall. I like their printers.

I picked up my pipe over the weekend. A majority of the parts are now printed and awaiting the start of assembly. Printer has yet to catch fire.

So I’m guessing there’s supposed to be some play in these bearings. :person_facepalming:

Curious if anyone knows if/how crack like this can be repaired/recovered?

What nozzle width and layer height?

I bet you could syringe some epoxy in there and clamp it.

0.8mm nozzle width and 0.32mm layer height

Is there supposed to be play along the bolt on these bearings or should they not move up and down?

I’ll see if I can clamp it and get it to move.

They are for the tension, they will be held in place when put on the beam. Tighten only lightly. :smile:

Thanks for that. I may just reprint the core then since I’m sure I probably induced damage that I cannot see in one of the other points I overtightened.

2 Likes

If you’re printing it again, you don’t need supports. Might save a tiny bit of time, filament, and cleanup.
My print took 27 hours! (I’ve since upgraded my printer to a Neptune 4, should have done that first!)

27h! Wow.

I reworked my print profile and kicked it off the print this morning. I dropped the supports, went back to a 0.6mm nozzle and added ironing to smooth out some of the roughness of the original print. And I got silly and colored the logo. I need more filament poop in my life. :laughing:

2 Likes

Looks really cool!

I’m pretty sure I recently saw that Bambu has issued a recall for this printer. They are offering a refund, or a voucher if you want to wait. They are saying all use should be halted because they do not yet know why some of the printers of this model are displaying problems with the heater bed wires if I remember right.

1 Like

Yes there is one. I debated returning it but I think I will take the replacement heat bed path instead. I like the printer and I’m not really sure what I would replace it with for the same price. The recommendation is to stop printing. I’m keeping an eye on mine and may stop once I get my LR3 parts done.

" At the time of publishing this blog post, we have found that less than 0.1% of all the A1 printers sold have electrical malfunctioning problem related to heatbed cable suffering from damage reported to us."

This was the official statement from them.

The old Ender 2s or something had a similar problem, and some of them caught on fire I think.

The total recall is likely a precaution and CYA measure, but of course, if you are going to use it, watch it close.

Don’t do anything crazy like start a 27hr print and then leave the house for long periods of time :slight_smile:

1 Like

Made a little progress tonight

Before realizing that I had two YZ plates that were the same and not mirrored. Not sure where that is noted but I will add it to my “learnings” list and print a corrected one tomorrow.

2 Likes

I finally got the linear rails to not bind. Ready to cut pipe and start the gantry.

3 Likes

X axis is ready to go.

1 Like