LR3 in the High Desert

Hello to everyone from Utah!

I am excited to get (slowly) started on an LR3 build. I’ve been lurking here for a little while, as I was aware of the LR2 when it came out. I got really fired up watching some build/mod vids of the LR3 recently, so here we go! I’m new to CNC and currently assembling a heavily-modded 3040 machine for small projects, so why not go all-in and build a large-format machine too? :smile:

I’m starting with all the 3D prints, since my printer is dialed and I love using it. I’ll buy the kit and control board once the prints are done. In the meantime, I’ve been trying to decide what table(s) I want to use/build. Probably going to have 4x4 and 4x8 workspaces, making the 4x8 easy-ish to break down since I don’t have a permanent space big enough for that at the moment.

I’m sure I will have plenty of questions as I go. Love this forum, so much great info here already to search for and absorb.

12 Likes

That’s a nice looking core! Welcome to the funhouse! :clown_face:

Once I round the goats up from the last batch of initiations, we’ll be in touch…

:candle: :candle: :goat: :candle: :candle:

4 Likes

Looking great so far!

2 Likes

Welcome! I took the other path - got all of the non-printed parts together, and then started the task of printing. I’m still dialing in the new printer (I’m a complete noob to both CNC and 3DP), but hope to get the first print on the bed within the next few days.

Looking forward to more pics as your build progresses.

4 Likes

This bad boy’s working on the Z drives this morning. Going with a mix of Digital Blue and Black Overture PLA Plus filament for the printed parts. My other maker machines all use Digital Blue, too.

This is CR-10 V2, heavily modded - basically not a CR-10 anymore :rofl:. BTT mobo (can’t remember which one, been a hot minute, i.e. two years +, since the upgrades), RPi4 with OctoPi, touchscreen, Hemera extruder, and obviously lots of printed add-ons. It’s getting linear rails and closed-loop X and Y stepper motors towards the end of the month to tighten up tolerances because of worn wheels.

3 Likes

Snagged my X gantry EMT today and cut it to size. I’m still in the process of printing braces, so I only had two to slide on for now. Exciting to get a sense of scale… it’s huge!

3 Likes

Looking good!!

1 Like

Most of the printed parts are done! Just a few more long-ish prints to go. Waiting for the next paycheck to buy the parts kit, control board kit, and other things I want/need, because occasionally I pretend to be fiscally responsible.

Y drives in progress, courtesy of OctoPrint:

3 Likes

… aaaaaand parts have been ordered!

4 Likes

That’s what sh… I also thought after assembling the gantry!

1 Like

Assembly has begun! Woohoo!

6 Likes

Looks great!

More pictures!

Your wish is my command. Side plates are ready and rarin’ to go.

4 Likes

Got excited and built the gantry today. The core slid on perfectly, and there is great Z-axis movement. Exciting! Now I need a place for it to run free…

5 Likes

An annoying but necessary detour: my Hemera extruder stopped working late last week, and some parts just arrived from E3D for a rebuild. I’ve got more parts for the LR3 that I want/need to print, so this rebuild will have to get done this weekend. It might be as simple as replacing the heatbreak, but the gears are funky with yellow TPU so replacing them will be nice.

2 Likes

Looks pretty good so far!

1 Like

Back in business! New gears and hotend parts, and I got the touchscreen working again. Huzzah!

Nice!

1 Like

Looking awesome!

1 Like

Printing continues space as more parts arrive. I’m approaching being ready to wire everything up and get the electronics tested out - firmware has been flashed and boards mounted in the control box. Next up is buying the unistruts and Y-axis EMT to assemble a temporary cutting area while the more permanent table is under construction.

Shout out to @DougJoseph for his cable chain, unistruts wings, and floating dust shoe designs, I’ll be integrating those into my build from the beginning; parts seen in these photos.

1 Like