LR3 80mm Water Cooled Spindle

I think he means to cut here and then attach the hose because it is flexible and does not act as a lever:

7a9e46f6bdbbbb673d7375eafe903844ce8c36aa_2_375x500

1 Like

Exactly!

1 Like

@Tokoloshe, @vicious1, Thank you so much for the help. In the end, I ended up using Philipp’s first suggestion as the solution. Vacuum hose / clamps also adjusted.

Looks like this, maybe today I will finish wiring the spindle up!

3 Likes

Perfection! Much more ideal that way. If you can anchor it to the top of the Core it will assure there are minimal forces on the cutter. What size hose it that and do you know where you got it?

1 Like

Wooo, a solution. :tada: Hope it works. :sweat_smile:

@vicious1, bought it off Amazon, so far back in my history I can’t find the actual description. Try searching for;

2.25 inch Diameter by 10 foot Long PVC Dust / Debris Collection Hose

The lightweight/ thin wall PVC is standard 2” central vac piping. Almost free for a five foot section. Add a couple 90’ elbows at Home Depot. I have fixed (Velcro) another tube at the 50% point on the backside with an upward facing 90 and out the left side of the table with a downward facing 90. Just use white vinyl tape to hold everything together as with my dust collection system so is is easily repositioned.

I will share some pictures in a new thread.

BTW was using this with the Makita mount and some spacers with the previous spindle and your brackets for that worked great.

Following this one. I have a spindle in a box for another project that I’m not sure I’ll ever get to. Can’t wait to see how it works for you.

1 Like

Coolant and VFD connected to AC power. All wires and plumbing routed in the gantry.

Uploading: ECB376BA-CD07-477F-9F35-8F5ED1D9577E.jpeg…]()

Need to figure out a way to post my spin-up video. Spindle is working but it is so heavy that even with anti backlash hardware on the Z axis the whole gantry “crashes” when there is no power to the drivers.

Water cooled spindle is quieter than the heater in my garage.

I thought I would include an image of the old DC spindle for comparison.

Apple Watch measures 79-80dB noise at 1Meter.

1 Like

The gantry coming down should be pretty normal, also happens with the Primo and the Makita.

1 Like

Yup. See my ending gcode. I pause at the top of the last cut. Resume when I get my hands on it, it stays powered and I then runs a park gcode to move it home and set itself down. Have a look at the video I put up this morning to see exactly how I do it.

So after spending the day with the spindle yesterday, there were a couple minor things that needed to be updated before I reprint with the original secondary colour.

Revised and simplified mounting parts

Today I will spend my time back on the electronics, I have just about given up on the SKR2…and might swap back SKR PRO 1.2 from the Primo build. (I was hoping to use it for a VORON 2.4 Project).

2 Likes

Do you find that top bracket necessary?

If you rotate the vac mount back out to the front or more of an angle you will gain your X travel back as well. I am not seeing why you moved it over?

I am not trying to be a punk, I am just curious. I am always watching out for revisions that might need to be made.

@vicious1, IDK. I will try it first with just with the bottom bracket, and two straps. I was mostly worried about the spindle becoming that big lever.

I rotated out the vacuum holders too! This could fix the end-stop interference.

Stand-by…printing soon!

1 Like

As long as you mount your wires and hose to the top of the core with the zip tie slots, I think you will be fine.

Can’t wait to see how it goes.

So I replaced the lower and mid-mount brackets with those shown in the exploded view. Still need adjustments because of printing overhangs…

The spindle seems to be held firmly, but 70% of height is unsupported. Because I have the top printed already I think I am going to keep it for now.

I can’t share any videos as my SKR 2 challenges persist. I will spend some time on that tonight, and see if I can re-calibrate.

2 Likes

Post calibration, my first piece is a new YZ-Plate…only there was a bit of a code challenge, around the Z stepper mount. Part appears serviceable, will try swapping the warped PLA plate out tomorrow. Definitely will be adding endstops, could not get anything working right on the Y Axis once they were warmed up.

1 Like

This was an interesting read, very jelous regarding your CAD skills, Just wondering how is going.

@Fodder1, the spindle / mount is working great. Weather here in Canada has been cold so getting out to the shop doesn’t happen enough.

@vicious1 is the one with mad CAD skills. I continue to model all my parts in TinkerCAD.

I am still struggling with the weight, but it might be a fine balance between my Z-Axis M906 settings, stepper power, and temperature. I have a 24 Volt power supply, and if I set the stepper current power too low, it fails to lift the 10+ kilos of gantry. If I set it to high it works, but when the mount gets too close to the edge of the bed, the stepper on that side will skip steps partway through a job. And now with that new spindle motor, the next horizontal move cuts through everything like butter regardless of the depth.

So again, the new spindle motor is awesome, and I do not regret purchasing it for one minute. (About $500 CDN). But I may need to look for NEMA 17 steppers with higher holding torque, or possibly move to a 48v power supply for the motors.

My other thought was moving the Z-Axis rods to a lower pitch. This might also help with everything crashing to the bed when the power goes off…:slight_smile:

Pausing at the end of a job and running a parking gcode really solve all those problems with no added cost.

I love working with my machine like that. It waits to put itself away when I am done with it.